CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Babies from 50% Sale

Old 09-10-2003, 01:23 PM   #1
Charlie
Babies from 50% Sale

Hey Rich,
I don't want to bother you. I didn't know where to post this in relation to what I have to tell you. I just wanted to update you on the hatchlings I bought from you and ask for some suggestions. My two pewters are doing excellent and the female has already shed. Both have had atleast 4-5 meals. I couldn't of asked for better pewter (especially since they are my favorite morph). My male charcoal ghost has also eaten 5 times and already has shed for me. He has a bunch of pink already. What does an adult usually look like? As for my female blizzard, she ate the first day I got her and has refused since then. What do you think happened? i thought she was going to do fine. The problem is that no matter what I do the two butters and female charcoal ghost won't eat. I have had to assist them with eating tails. I have tried brained, like you said for everyone but still no results. The Charcoal het blizzard did end up dieing. The amel het butter has never eaten on her own. The two hypo okettees are eating well. The male snow is a pig....he has definately pulled ahead in size. I think he is up to two pinks per feeding now.

Thanks Charlene Dourty

Old 09-10-2003, 02:13 PM   #2
drizzt_19
I'm not Rich but,

since he's probably packing for the show, I'll see if I can help you...

Try lizard scented pinks for your butter...Butters have been known to only want anoles for a first meal...My butter refused to eat anything until I got some lizard scent in a bottle...He's eaten twice since...

My two snows have ate a first meal and refused everything since...I tried the lizard scented pinks and the have eaten twice since then...Seems alot of corns are hard-wired to take anoles only at birth...

HTH

Old 09-10-2003, 02:33 PM   #3
Kat
I agree... So far this year, I've only had one otherwise-nonfeeding snake NOT respond to lizard-scenting. Darn thing did it just to prove me wrong, too, because I told the breeder I got it from that I was pretty certain scented would bring it around...

If you're not too squeamish, I recommend buying an anole, freezing it, and then thawing it... once it's thawed, skin it, and refreeze it and the skin. When you go to feed your stubborn hatchlings, defrost the skin and put a small piece (about 2cm X 2cm) on the nose of a f/t pinky. Assuming your snake eats that, feed it the same for 2-3 more feedings, and then try offering it a f/t pink without the scenting.

This scenario has worked well for me, but it's not a catch-all... Other things to try...
-Leaving the f/t pink in there for 36 hours
-Leaving a live pink in there for 36 hours
-Putting the snake and a pink (try f/t, then try live next round) in a small paper sack (think lunchbag) overnight
-Offering a pinky head
-Offering a brained pink
-Offering a fresh-killed pink
-Offering an anole head or tail

Other things that may affect feeding...
-Whether the f/t mouse was wet or dry when offered
-Whether the f/t mouse was warm or cold when offered
-How much noise, motion, or disturbance there is in the snake's vicinity
-How much handling the snake has had recently (nonfeeders should be handled as little as possible)
-Whether they're housed with other snakes (housing separately will increase the chances of feeding)
-Whether they have appropriate heat, hiding places, etc.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what comes to my mind ATM.

Goodluck.

-Kat Hall

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google