CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Is my Corn Snake Male or Female?!

Old 07-03-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
Ocelot
Question Is my Corn Snake Male or Female?!

My corn snake is about 3 months old, and I got it two days ago. I know the methods of finding out what sex it is. Wouldn't I have to get a proffesional to probe it? And is the method of looking at its tale accurate? To me it looks like the body stops abruptly, then the tail starts. Doesn't that mean its female? But how can I be sure, because I'd like to name it (so I know wheter to give it a male or female name) but also later on for breeding. Thanks.

Old 07-03-2005, 09:30 PM   #2
TripleMoonsExotic
The most accurate way to sex a cornsnake is by popping or probing. Popping is done when they are younger (you might be able to still pop the 3 month old you have). If you have no experience doing either of these methods, go to someone experienced to have it done. You can severely damage your new corn if you do not know what you're doing. The tail sexing method is normally inaccurate.

Old 07-04-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
jnky
Just to add, I've been down to the reptile shop today and went through this with the owner.
As said this method is inaccurate but :-
After the vent the males body carries on further then the females before the tail starts.
I couldn't work it out until the store owner showed me a male and a female together. This additional body after the vent can vary in both males and females i.e. there isnt a set quantity of scales which will determine it for you.
So basically unless your snake has an exceptionaly long or short body after the vent you will not be able to use this method.

btw my pet shop has offered to sex my snake for me but tbh they arn't man handling my baby untill she is at least an adult. (I refer to my snake as she due to my visual assumption, I hate calling her IT !)

As you can see my daughter called her Sizzles, a nice unisex name (far safer)

Old 07-04-2005, 04:57 PM   #4
Ocelot
So what will I do? Just call "it" it until it is older? Or should I get a vet or something to sex it? Like do you call your snake a name?

Old 07-04-2005, 07:17 PM   #5
TripleMoonsExotic
If you take it to an experienced vet or contact your local herp society...They should be able to help you.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:43 AM   #6
PssdffJay
I wondered the same thing when I got my corn on the 4th of july. But, i most likely wont be breeding (not certain) so I decided to call her Nagini. It is a female name and I'm happy with that. My suggestion: just choose, I dont know what popping is, but just choose a name and a gender. Worst case senario, it is the opposite of what you thought and maybe the name wont sound too weird, but maybe you can change it after. But it is your snake. Post if you decide.

Old 07-07-2005, 04:57 AM   #7
Jessica71
When I got my first two baby corns, they were unsexed and so I called them Gerald and Henry, so they could be Geraldine and Henrietta if they were female! As it turns out Gerald is male and Henrietta is female, and the two of them have now produced eggs which are due to hatch late this month!

Old 07-07-2005, 07:41 AM   #8
Mary-Beth
I have a male snake named Sharon and I don't care who knows it! LOL, I also have a female dog named Jack but that's a whole other story.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google