• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Pip-pip-hurrah!

The thing most resembled the contents of the eggs that didn't hatch last year, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was unabsorbed egg. What's puzzling is how it was passed? The way I'm thinking, it didn't come out through the hernia and stump, because that would have opened up the abdomen. So the hatchling either regurged or pooped it out.
I'm not planning to try feeding until after the first shed, and for this baby I'll try the smallest red I've got.
No signs of pipping from Pearl or Annie's clutches yet. Beautiful plump eggs, no signs of rot, but no more pippies yet! I'm away on holiday a week Saturday, so I'm itching for these to emerge soon!

Kathy, you may have the idea. Maybe the substance was more fluid and was expelled through the umbelicus then solidified. That kind of makes sense.

The 'thing' was about the size of a peach fuzzy, so I hope not. (By which I mean if it came through the umbilicous, wouldn't it disrupt the healing?)

i've had one a few years back, it was like the end of a tail, well maybe bottom 20% of the body. It came out at a right angle, similar to that, but it was the actual whole body, full shin and everything if that makes sense.
it didnt survive.

That was really my only guess. I guess you would have had to take it to a vet to look at "up close" for a real answer. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks for your help and suggestions Kathy, I suppose I should have examined the 'thing' more closely.
When you've had hatchling with a herniated stump of umbilicus, did it just drop off eventually?

i've had one a few years back, it was like the end of a tail, well maybe bottom 20% of the body. It came out at a right angle, similar to that, but it was the actual whole body, full shin and everything if that makes sense.
it didnt survive.
Oh god I'm glad it wasn't that gruesome!

I have only seen it a few times, and it seemed to heal on its own - whatever was left dried up and fell off.

:dancer: Two little amels shed and fed!

Attachments

• 128a.JPG
    128a.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 132a.JPG
    132a.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 134
Thanks Toyah! I lost count of the times that little beauty bit me this morning! It's a little darker than the picture shows, with deeper colours. Looks like the amels will all be darker than Slim.

Came home to find 4 more shed, 3 have eaten, 1 is looking in horror at a defrosted red!
I've been wondering what was going on in the other eggs, and as I had just got in from work I had a little torch in my pocket. I could see the veins, less opaque areas which look like egg-teeth are being used, and my pippies-to-be wriggling around!

Attachments

• 142a.JPG
    142a.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 152a.JPG
    152a.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 121
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 121
  • c4.jpg
    c4.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 122
  • c6.jpg
    c6.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 123
:dancer::dancer::dancer: but the best thing of all, the amel with the hernia has shed, it's tummy is closed, and it was the keenest to feed!

Attachments

• 143a.JPG
    143a.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 144a.JPG
    144a.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 146a.JPG
    146a.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 121
I'm pretty amazed at how fast the hole closed on that amel.
I'm also fascinated by the egg pics, are they really scratches on the inside of the egg? So if you keep the light on them you might be able to see them trying to get out?
Also, congrats!!

Back