CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Black stuff? Ideas

Old 05-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #1
MissJennifer
Black stuff? Ideas

Hi
I just need an opinion because this is driving me to drink - and yes I'm letting my vet know but not open until Monday.
This morning Crue had dark brown/black on her underneath & side of her head. Was not there yesterday or at bedtime.
So I discovered my bf's son had popped the feed door to "mist the moss".
*facepalm*
Not only denting the bar but the tape I had just temporarily put there was popped as well (I had to find the screen repair tape, as the kitten & one other cat believe the heat lamps are theirs as well).
Now the tape has never been an issue (?) Til possibly now - I attempted a feed on the 5th but refused; as at the time we didn't know eggs were about to happen!
(Refused, shed, then 3 slugs as of 2 days ago). She's her normal active, happy self. All over & in my hoodies & hair... So no personality change.
If anyone could help with ideas it would help my sanity.
I've tried cleaning with both warm water on a washcloth and a saline cloth. Nothing.
Pics included.

Ummmm...... Other details:
Tank is 40 gal breeder (never been bred)
Orchid bark bedding
Sphagnum moss under the log, out in front & in a small bowl for humidity (per vet)
Water bowl
Bowl for soaking /apparently laying eggs under
Cool side: 70° humidity 40%
Warm : 81° humidity 40%
Hot: 86° humidity 43%
I just misted as a note - normal without mist is 30% on cool & warm; between 25 -30% on the hot
I have a 150 watt bask lamp there; cool side I have a 60w daytime heat; for night I use a 50w night heat dead center of tank.
Vet suggested the higher temperatures on hot side....
Going off of someone else's info for a while I thought Crue was a boy. (He was adopted March 2019) Surprise!!
Thanks everyone!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Old 05-09-2020, 11:09 PM   #2
67temp
So is the black stuff adhesive from the tape? If so then maybe try rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. Worst case is it comes off with the next shed.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:50 PM   #3
MissJennifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
So is the black stuff adhesive from the tape? If so then maybe try rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. Worst case is it comes off with the next shed.
I'm not sure; I checked the tape & all was secure but one spot by the latch - not enough to do something like this. Was the size of my pinkie nail.
In case I'll try your suggestion of the rubbing alcohol & cotton ball & keep informed - Thank you!

Old 05-10-2020, 12:18 AM   #4
Rich Z
If it is not bothering the snake, and isn't itself causing any problems, might be best to just leave it be. Be aware that some solvents (like alcohol) can be toxic if used incorrectly.

Old 05-10-2020, 12:33 AM   #5
MissJennifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
If it is not bothering the snake, and isn't itself causing any problems, might be best to just leave it be. Be aware that some solvents (like alcohol) can be toxic if used incorrectly.
It definitely isn't bothering her at all - just scared me on the " this wasn't here last night; how the...." Factor.

Noted on alcohol - I'll pass on it then.

The top is fixed properly with the screen stuff; I'm looking forward to avoid more questionable mornings in the future.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:10 PM   #6
Rich Z
As was suggested by 67temp, just wait it out and see what happens after the next shed. More than likely it will all come off along with the old skin.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google