CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Copperhead in the barn.........How do we handle this??!!?

Old 08-22-2010, 01:18 AM   #41
durrn
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemaster24 View Post
Now this obviously has sparked some sort of debate and I figure I put in my .02. Now Copperheads, while venomous are not USUALLY deadly and should be considered dangerous nonetheless. Now I have a 5 year old half brother and we often encounter Copperheads whilst snake hunting and such. And my dad has killed several and I have told him not to. But they do it anyway. Snakes are a very important part of an ecosystem and killing one can be very bad for a ecosystem. Copperheads eat, mice, lizards, frogs, small birds and even cicadas. And killing one should NEVER be a first resort. Copperheads are viperids. They are less jumpy than colubrids, USUALLY! Depending on how big the snake is you can easily shoo it into a bucket or trashcan, then take it to a safe location. You can call animal control, or reference a member of a forum that is local that would be willing to remove the snake. As much as we worry about or children, loved ones and mammalian pets (as annoying as they can be ). We need to remember that these are wild animals that need to be able to reproduce in the wild to keep equalibrium in the wild.
I agree. Killing for no reason is wrong, not just for the snake but for the whole ecosystem. In this instance, though, where small children and animals were involved you can't just leave it there.

I absolutely love snakes and don't like the idea of needlessly killing one. But still, knowing a venomous one is underfoot creeps me out.

Here's my opinion: everyone should have a backup plan. Know how you are going to remove it before you find one. This prevents having to kill it. J3 now has a backup plan should he find another.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:21 AM   #42
Carinata
Even with children and small animals it is still wrong. No matter what.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:28 AM   #43
durrn
It was kind of an emergency to get it moved. And if they'd had no experience dealing with this kind of thing before, it's not a good idea to try to catch it.

They couldn't well spend hours or more trying to find someone to move it for them while their animals are in danger.

I know they aren't out to get us, but a bite was a very real possibility.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:39 AM   #44
Raptor
I have no experience with hots. I don't plan on having any. I have little desire to try and shoo an irate, adult venomous snake into something. It's risky enough killing them. Prodding them with a broom is going to make the snake more likely to spin around and strike.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #45
ghosthousecorns
I understand why this had to happen, not trying to judge but I do get a little confused by one thing when people say they killed a dangerous snake: How is approaching a snake with a hoe or shovel to hit it in the head any safer than pushing it into a trash can with a broom? I have a feeling many snake bites end up happening because of the person trying to kill the snake. In this case, if I had a snake to get rid of and I needed to approach it with a long handled tool, I would be a lot further away from it and feel much safer while pushing it with a broom compared to how much closer I would have to get in order to be able to decapitate it with a hoe or shovel.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #46
dickdeuel
Quote:
Some day as you get older and have a family of your own and responsibilities to protect them, your pets, and livestock you will understand why certain things have to be done.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #47
xreinx
not to dis on anyone, but a comment like Snakemasters tells me he has little care for human life. is a snakes life more important then a childs life?

everyone here were kids once, how would any of us feel if someone just said Leave the snake alone and do your chores!

I think you did good by doing what you did, then asking for help. its not like you can give the snake any warning and chase it off, they dont understand that.

Im just happy that your willing to learn how to relocate a hot snake, though I have to say, if it were me (dont live in hotsnake country) Id still not take the chance, and I love snakes, I have 4 corns of my own. but then again thats me, Im just not willing to take the chance period, with my sisters sons. (cant have kids of my own)

Old 08-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #48
Carinata
I do have concern for human life. But I also have concern for reptile life. And you have to understand getting bit my a venomous snake, is very rare. And you can say what you want, but I see it from a naturalist standpoint. There is no reason to kill a snake without an absolute dire situation.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #49
knox
Quote:
I have to STRONGLY disagree with this.

What happens when a small child reaches down to pick something up, not seeing the snake that you DIDN'T kill, gets bitten, then spends days in the hospital, racking up thousands and thousands of dollars in medical bills and life threatening envenomation?

You are telling me that the copperhead is worth $50,000 in medical bills, days of missed worked because you are staying up all night in the hospital with your 4 year old daughter who is in constant pain, and the possiblility of permanent tissue damage to a little girl?

People come first. I make no apology for that viewpoint. As a father AND a snake lover, any venemous snake that poses a threat, a hospital stay, possible death of my children is dead.

Now, I don't carry this viewpoint to anyone who goes out in the field LOOKING for snakes. ONLY to those snakes found around the immediate vicinity of where children play, enjoying the careless days of their youth, who are not supposed to be subject to this tragedy.

Would you kill and destroy a hornet or yellow jacket nest that was right outside your front door? I would in an instant.

There is no difference.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #50
knox
Do you spray for cockroaches in your house? How about set out mouse traps for disease ridden mice that might be in your attic or crawling around your kitchen?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google