CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

New twist on cage sizes (opinions?)

Old 02-22-2004, 05:17 PM   #1
Neumann
New twist on cage sizes (opinions?)

Greetings,

I realize this has been hashed out before, but I'm wondering about adult cage sizes. I've commonly seen cage sizes expressed in gallons rather than actual dimensions. I've read that a 30 gallon cage is a good size and this has lead me to think about caging options. I'm interested in picking up a couple of Vision cages this summer as permanent homes for our two Corns.

Because Corns are typically terrestrial critters the height of a cage is of little concern, therefore the surface area of the cage is what I am focusing on. Here are three Vision cages in my price range:

Model 221: 28x22x12 (~32 gallons) $95.00 <--no lighting option - retro fit?)
Model 215: 28x14x20 (~34 gallons) $135.00
Model 332: 36x28x18 (~78.5 gallons) $180.00

*Note: I arrived at the gallons by multiplying LxWxH and dividing the total by 231 which I believe is accurate.

I'm looking for a cage which is a nice compromise between size and comfort. I don't really want cages that are so large it's difficult to clean and sanitize them, but at the same time I don't want our snakes to be cramped in small cages either.

The third factor is that I'm a cheap SOB but that's another story.

For me the question is whether or not to spend the difference between model 221 or 332? Model 215 is just too small in my opinion. Here is what the total floor space looks like expressed in inches by multiplying length times width.

Model 221: 616 inch. floor space
Model 215: 392 inch. floor space
Model 322: 1008 inch. floor space

If I purchased model 221 I would have to modify the cage to add a lighting option. I don't think this is too big of a deal but it does add a little hassle. At the same time it's a lot easier for me to part with $200 USD rather than $360 (plus freight charges).

Here is some information I would like to help better make a decision:

1) what is more important, the length of a cage or the total available floor space?

2) What are the cage dimensions that you use to house your adult Corns?

3) General opinions?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jason

Old 02-22-2004, 05:47 PM   #2
starwarsdad
Your volume estimates are correct, but the correct divisor is 231. Typos

Why not get the model# 211? Looks like the best deal to me.

Old 02-22-2004, 08:32 PM   #3
Neumann
Quote:
Originally posted by starwarsdad
Your volume estimates are correct, but the correct divisor is 231. Typos
Thanks starwarsdad- I'm the typo king. I fixed it.

I've read a rule that says the floor dimensions (LxW) should be equal to or greater than the maximum length of the snake. Since the $100 Vision cages are 28x22 (50") that should be more then enough space for an average sized adult corn. I just like to get as many opinions as possible from folks with more experience than myself.

Cheers,
Jason

Old 02-23-2004, 02:09 AM   #4
paulc
The LxW of my containers are 30x17. The snakes do realy well in them, there's enough room for them to move stretch and thermoregulate.
I would go for the 221 model, but they would like the 332 more I suppose, in theory
You say that corns are mostly terestrial, before I got the snake bug I used to have a corn in a 3'L x2'W x4'H home made viv it had shelving and boxes up near the top. Heated by heat pads in half the bottom and a spot shinning onto one of the shelves, the corn hardly ever went down to the floor .Also if a corn is threatened and given a chance it will go up a tree to get out of the way.
So I don't think corns are as terrestrial as some may say.

Old 02-23-2004, 03:37 AM   #5
MegF.
Those vision cages are nice looking, but I can get a 30 gl. viv aquarium with a locking screen lid for $45.00 at my local pet store. The dimensions are 31X22X12. So in essence, I could get two for the price of one vision cage. .That means, one more corn than I have now !

Old 02-23-2004, 12:40 PM   #6
leia
Yeah, I'll probably go for a glass aquarium when I need to buy a bigger one.

I do think those are nice looking, but a little pricey. I wish they were more detailed in their description, does that mean they have the UTH built in already?

Though I think for multiple snakes, they are a lot better looking than a rack system, though WAY more expensive. I don't think I'll ever have enough snakes for a rack system, but later in life, I might look into getting a few of those and a few snakes.

They are nice looking! Maybe in a few years, I'll have a couple of those, and some more variations of corns. First I'll worry about graduating college and getting a real job

Old 02-23-2004, 01:00 PM   #7
Neumann
Quote:
Originally posted by fatso
I would go for the 221 model, but they would like the 332 more I suppose, in theory
I'm also considering model 332. It's a very nice cage setup. It isn't the cost of the cages that scares me away ($180 USD) as much the freight charges to Alaska. We pay a premium to have items shipped here and the 332 cage is just about double the weight of the 221. My wallet frowns at excessive shipping charges.

On the other hand, as my wife poined out, they're going to be spending the next 10+ years in those cages so we have an obligation to try and make them as comfortable as possible.

Cheers,
Jason

Old 02-23-2004, 01:04 PM   #8
Skye
Hi Neumann,

There are many rules that people use for justifying how much space a snake needs. Some people go for a cage length that is 1/2 the length of the snake, some 2/3.

Some people say the length plus the width must be no less than the length of the snake.

You can even work out how much space the snake takes up when it is coiled and have this area multiplied by 8 (for example).

There is no right or wrong.

My personal opinion is to give more space. I use the last model you mention, and I have been very happy with them. The snakes use all the space at different times, and during breeding season the males roam every inch every day. I have posted this picture many times before, and it is not all of the cages I use, but a rack of 9 of them.

I use a 5.5 inch dome light with an incandescent bulb (wattage varies depending on time of year) for a basking spot which is utilized and I like to watch them lying in the "sun". I also have UTHs on the same end which remain on when the light goes off at night to continue to provide a thermal gradient. Of course, all the snakes except one (bottom left hand cage) are hiding, and the one you can see is heading up towards the light dome.

I have a number of corns that are about 5ft or over and I wouldn't want to put them in any smaller space.
The only fact stated for larger cage size is that there is evidence of some females being more prone to egg-binding if they have poor muscle tone from lack of exercise.

Visions are light and so easy to move about, can be stacked, and are very easy to clean with no sharp corners of edges. There are also some other very good manufacturers out there these days.

Skye

Old 02-23-2004, 01:08 PM   #9
Skye
fatso,

I agree with you about the not-purely-terrestrial thing - that's why I like to provide climbing branches. Corns definitely like to climb.

Skye

Old 02-23-2004, 01:16 PM   #10
starwarsdad
WOW! Skye that is a beautiful set up! I am jealous.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google