CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DYI Hides.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #21
schnebbles
Someone mentioned maybe the texture paint might be rough or flake off if a wet snake got on it. I might re-think that paint. I kinda threw these together thinking that texture paint would cover any flaws, but they do look kind of rocky and so regular paint would be ok.

I think Knox used the texture paint on a hide. I'm going to Hobby Lobby to see if I can find a different clay that might not even need paint.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #22
Dracoluna
You can take different colors of clay together to get a marbleized look or I've even mixed sand in with clay (not too much or it gets dry) for some texture. Colored sands can work also.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #23
schnebbles
I didn't think of sand. I got some screen and another type of clay that's already terra cotta and a bunch of 2oz acrylic paints. gonna work on more after the snakes eat.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #24
PAIN
Take a look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avpEnXuKSfs

Old 11-14-2011, 12:01 AM   #25
schnebbles
Here are my crayola air dry hides. I'm not the best painter! I need to seal them tomorrow. I used little bottles of acrylic paint. I think they should work fine. I have more that aren't quite ready to paint.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #26
PAIN
Looks good to me schnebbles. I'm gonna do some over the week night with my daughter

Old 11-14-2011, 01:06 AM   #27
schnebbles
These were easy, it was kinda fun. I need to figure out how to work with the other clay I got. It sticks to everything, I guess maybe wood and a wood rolling pin from what I've read. Have fun I need so many hides so this worked out great and cheap!

Old 11-14-2011, 07:18 AM   #28
Dracoluna
Those look great! I'm sure the babies will love them.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #29
schnebbles
These probably look the same as the previous pics, but I got 11 hides (after I broke one) out one 5# bucket of crayola air dry clay. i think they turned out really well! If I do say so myself They look pretty rocky just b/c of they way I had to make them.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:41 PM   #30
PAIN
They look great, Bet you can't wait to get them in the tanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google