CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Fresh dead vs f/t?

Old 03-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #91
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifullywild77 View Post
I can go to the store and buy a live or a f/t. F/t are cheaper at least at the store I buy them from.
Lucky you! F/t is more expensive at the store I go to (by about $1 per mouse, and $1.50 per rat). However, they have their own little gas chamber, so I can select the proper feeder sizes for my animals and send them off to mousey doom. Do I like doing it? Heck no. I just haven't had the funds (or space) to make a bulk mousesicle purchase recently, so I've been going week by week (or every 5 days, in the case of my hatchlings). The gassing doesn't cost any extra, and it saves me from having to perform cervical dislocations at home.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #92
firfly
Here frozen mice cost me $11.47 for six, small fuzzies, and to have them shipped is $50.00 from rodentpro for 100 of which most would probably feezer burn. Most the local raisers of feeders here will raise but not kill feeders, if you want it done you have to do it your self. That said having read about parasites I dont want to go that route either so it is safer for me to start the colony, thats why I say depends on where you are and what you have (as far as snakes to feed #).

Old 03-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #93
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7legion77 View Post
This is very well put. That statement right there ought to make me shut up about this and change the subject like I tried to do earlier, like how to help a snake lose weight?

Still, as soon as I get over the artificial feeling of prekilling or going the F/T route, only then will I switch from live. Unless it simply gets old, and that's probably what happens with experienced breeders, they have seen enough kills and the "snake hunting prey" show simply gets old for them so they stick with frozen for the economic and practical advantage.
Personally, I've never liked the hunt. When I got my first snake, and was feeding her pinkies, I'd always have to leave the room when she fed, because I just couldn't stand to hear the sounds of the squealing pinky.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #94
firfly
I should mention the $50.00 is just the shipping thats not including the mice..

Old 03-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #95
beautifullywild77
If the mice you purchase from rodent pro are put in freezer bags they can last up to a year according to some sources.

Robbie. The mice and rats are still way more expensive than when I purchase my order from rodent pro.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #96
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
If the mice you purchase from rodent pro are put in freezer bags they can last up to a year according to some sources.

Robbie. The mice and rats are still way more expensive than when I purchase my order from rodent pro.
I know it's more expensive, but I haven't had the funds all at once to make an order. I've been trying to save up for it, but I also have to take into account that I have a pretty small freezer. I don't have my large chest freezer anymore.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #97
starsevol
Quote:
I owned a milk snake 10 years ago and fed f/t. I do not believe it is a recent trend

But what I don't understand is the life and safety of my FREE corn snakes matter just as much as my fancy boa or my ball pythons. An adult mouse can do some pretty nasty damage.

My spotted python with strike, coil and "kill" a frozen thawed mouse, as well as my husbands pinstripe ball python, as well as my adult normal corn snake. I have babies that will with do it to f/t pinkies. The essential part of any snake is survival. So eating anything dead or alive goes along with that survival.
I have owned snakes for 17 years and have always fed f/t.
I have the troll on ignore, is it still yapping away about how wonderful it is to have a killer as a pet?

Another feeling I have is that there are certain segments of the population who fear snakes, and can't view them as pets. These people are likely targets of the PETA and HSUS propaganda machine against the hobby. Feeding a live terrified small animal to a "pet", and bragging about having a killer under your roof only gives these groups and politicians more fuel, and does much more harm than good on the public relations front. Dogs, cats and other carnivorous pets eat prepared food and are considered companion animals and are not targeted by groups such as this. Bans are proposed all across this country as we speak, and although we should be pulling together, we also need to be aware of how this hobby looks to outsiders. Because ultimately the outsiders will decide this hobby's fate.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #98
firfly
I love watching things hunt, I am not saying that from a snake owners view but as a tarantula breeder. Different Ts use differing tactics, and I would think snakes would be the same. Certain species such as the sand boa for instance. Of course the Ts are attacking roaches a little less loved and not quiet as cute as a mouse.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #99
beautifullywild77
Oh ok... I read your post wrong LOL It's been one of those days where my brain hurts sorry!

But the f/t at the local mom and pop is cheaper than their live feeders are... example. 4 bucks for a f/t adult rat to 5 bucks for a live adult rat. They are one of the only pet stores in Alb. that offer live feeder rodents.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #100
firfly
Quote:
Actually, most feed f/t or prekilled. Most don't get involved in these kind of threads because of the trollish behaviors that seem to pop up in them.

You might want to do a bit more research before you start saying that many if not most snake owners feed live prey or saying a "big" part of the community are live prey feeders. Its not economically to feed live nor is it safe. Most inexperienced snake owners will feed live is about the only thing that could be said. If you have a 500 dollar snake that will readily take f/t which risk such an investment in feeding live? Someone can do a poll on here or other snake sites and see how many feed live vs. f/t. I bet you would be wrong. I belong to a ball python site and a aussie python site and the majority of owners on those sites feed f/t or prekilled and advocate against the feeding of live. Not saying that some dont feed live because there are those that absolutely have to because some snakes will never take f/t or prekilled.
Quote:

Yes, Beautifullywild, but Ive seen some of your collection looking through pics, they are gorgeous by the way. Needless to say I dont have near the demand for feeders as you do.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google