CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Fresh dead vs f/t?

Old 03-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #81
firfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7legion77 View Post
"but do you want me to link you to the very post where he SAID he got a psychosexual thrill out of it?"

I was paraphrasing what Bethany had said in an earlier thread, she came up with that word. I'm very sarcastic sometimes, maybe it's hard for forum readers online to pick up on that.
It's not like I ACTUALLY get sexually aroused watching a mouse struggle, I just admire the snake's ability to kill.
I know! You do however realize that it upsets her and she is obviously passionate about this subject. I think everyone can respect the, God given right of choosing for ones self, after hearing both sides, and not degrading oneanother, or their opinion. Thats about it in a nut shell, hopefully everyone can put their differences aside, and when the subject is brought up make a concious effort to let both sides be heard fairly, and without attack. Then let the reader do the research and decide.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #82
7legion77
Its okay Beth, Star, whatever you want to be called.

Look, this forum is open to everyone, please stop trying to enforce an us vs them mentality because most people here are anonymous. You can tear into me all you want, but by saying things like
Quote:
How can someone who puts his snake at risk every week FOR NO GOOD REASON ever expect to be accepted here
you're only gonna reduce traffic and make this place less interesting, because many if not most snake owners feed live prey and will keep doing it, and that big part of the community shouldn't be squelched at THE corn snake forum on the net. I know your opinion comes from a source of deep compassion, but its okay to allow opinions of people who regularly kill ants, moths, mosquitoes, rats, pests, and aren't as closely attuned to the feelings of their snake's prey item.
And again, feeding live DOES NOT mean I don't love and care about my snake. At best it can be called negligence, but I'm inclined to not fall for fear propaganda (i.e. the risk of feeding live is far lower than what the picture-linkers make it out to be), and if I reap what I sow in the end then so be it.

Quote:
Megan pointed out earlier that his posts range from hitting mice with a hammer, being afraid to touch the mice, saying that f/t is better but having mice in the freezer is icky, and a hundred other stances. He seems to have more personalities than Sybil and pulls out whichever one he thinks will troll better.
Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even own a snake.
This part made me laugh.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #83
7legion77
Also, can we stop arguing now?

Old 03-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #84
beautifullywild77
Actually, most feed f/t or prekilled. Most don't get involved in these kind of threads because of the trollish behaviors that seem to pop up in them.

You might want to do a bit more research before you start saying that many if not most snake owners feed live prey or saying a "big" part of the community are live prey feeders. Its not economically to feed live nor is it safe. Most inexperienced snake owners will feed live is about the only thing that could be said. If you have a 500 dollar snake that will readily take f/t which risk such an investment in feeding live? Someone can do a poll on here or other snake sites and see how many feed live vs. f/t. I bet you would be wrong. I belong to a ball python site and a aussie python site and the majority of owners on those sites feed f/t or prekilled and advocate against the feeding of live. Not saying that some dont feed live because there are those that absolutely have to because some snakes will never take f/t or prekilled.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #85
Lennycorn
I agree!!
Also, I haven't researched it but I think in the UK it's illegal to feed live.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #86
7legion77
By principle, what the majority does is fairly irrelevant to the individual, that's the point I'm trying to make all along.

But you are correct, BeautifullyWild, that most live feeders are amateurs. And guess who comes here the most? Newbies looking for answers (like myself). I'm sure there are plenty of experts who also feed live, and I think F/T is more of a recent trend that's expanded because logically, it is the safest and cheapest way to go, and it fuels the rodenticide/mass gassing of mice industry.
If I had a fancy boa and fed it huge live adult rats, then maybe I would think twice.
But as it stands, I'd always rather have the snake do what it does best: kill its own prey... seems like an essential part of being a snake. Rather do that than pick up a dead mouse with tweezers and spoon feed it to the snake. I can't get over it, will I ever be cured?

Old 03-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #87
beautifullywild77
I owned a milk snake 10 years ago and fed f/t. I do not believe it is a recent trend

But what I don't understand is the life and safety of my FREE corn snakes matter just as much as my fancy boa or my ball pythons. An adult mouse can do some pretty nasty damage.

My spotted python with strike, coil and "kill" a frozen thawed mouse, as well as my husbands pinstripe ball python, as well as my adult normal corn snake. I have babies that will with do it to f/t pinkies. The essential part of any snake is survival. So eating anything dead or alive goes along with that survival.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #88
firfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifullywild77 View Post
Actually, most feed f/t or prekilled. Most don't get involved in these kind of threads because of the trollish behaviors that seem to pop up in them.

You might want to do a bit more research before you start saying that many if not most snake owners feed live prey or saying a "big" part of the community are live prey feeders. Its not economically to feed live nor is it safe. Most inexperienced snake owners will feed live is about the only thing that could be said. If you have a 500 dollar snake that will readily take f/t which risk such an investment in feeding live? Someone can do a poll on here or other snake sites and see how many feed live vs. f/t. I bet you would be wrong. I belong to a ball python site and a aussie python site and the majority of owners on those sites feed f/t or prekilled and advocate against the feeding of live. Not saying that some dont feed live because there are those that absolutely have to because some snakes will never take f/t or prekilled.
I think the economical part kind of varies from keeper to keeper, someone such as myself who owns only one corn for instance. It would appear cheaper to start my own small colony, pre-kill then freeze what I need and sale the rest to others needing feeders. That being said it would cost no more or less to feed live it would be a matter of personal opinion. My self when I look at the pros and cons, the cons far out weight the pros, when it comes to live feeding of my corn snakes. So I will feed frozen and my colony will breeders will be checked for parasites prior to breeding. This debate gos on with other things as well my Therphosa Blondi can easily take down mice, and rats however the tarantula could be injured doing so, even though the tarantula is 14+ inches, do to this I feed dubia roaches, plus the fact some believe that calcium interfers with a tarantulas ability to molt by hardening their exoskeletons ( my self included in this group ) still you can find mice being feed live to these tarantulas on youtube, and the same type arguments take place on those forums. I just think it much better to try to educate instead of argue. If its wrong just state why its wrong and leave it to the reader to decide, there is always going to be a majority which go one way, so the reader should beable to make a educated decission.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #89
beautifullywild77
I can go to the store and buy a live or a f/t. F/t are cheaper at least at the store I buy them from.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #90
7legion77
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifullywild77 View Post
The essential part of any snake is survival. So eating anything dead or alive goes along with that survival.
This is very well put. That statement right there ought to make me shut up about this and change the subject like I tried to do earlier, like how to help a snake lose weight?

Still, as soon as I get over the artificial feeling of prekilling or going the F/T route, only then will I switch from live. Unless it simply gets old, and that's probably what happens with experienced breeders, they have seen enough kills and the "snake hunting prey" show simply gets old for them so they stick with frozen for the economic and practical advantage.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google