CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

RI Treatment (How-to)

Old 04-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #31
Nanci
All right, I Googled it. I see there is some anecdotal history of use by forum-users, whoever they are. If it was _my_ snake, though, I still would not be comfortable unless that course of treatment was recommended by my reptile vet.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #32
Carinata
I did google it. I find it to be a reckless treatment when you can easily treat an RI with F10 or any other medicine, as prescribed by a herp vet.....

Old 04-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #33
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
All right, I Googled it. I see there is some anecdotal history of use by forum-users, whoever they are. If it was _my_ snake, though, I still would not be comfortable unless that course of treatment was recommended by my reptile vet.

Yes, I saw that too but I'm not done reading up on all of it.
Had to watch TV and do real life things like pick up the Kids.

I don't want to be to quick to judge. It happens here!

Old 04-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #34
P.Guttatus
What did you watch? LOL I'm catching up on episodes of N.C.I.S.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #35
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Guttatus View Post
What did you watch? LOL I'm catching up on episodes of N.C.I.S.

Survivor and flipping back and forth on hockey.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #36
Carinata
Here's my thing. A reptile vet is easily accessible, F10 is even easier to get. The boiling water, human grade medicines, etc. It's all reckless! You bought the animals, take responsibility and get them to a vet. Who knows, the Vicks may cause lung damage down the road. Snakes only have one lung not two. Well one functioning lung. Extreme caution should be taken when dealing with something like that. I would prefer to pay the vet bill, than make some ghetto half-science mixture some forum people suggested and put it into practice.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #37
beautifullywild77
Just going to say David, a reptile vet isn't always within accessibility for everyone. I have no idea what F10 is or even where to begin to get it. I have never dealt with an RI before but I have read many forums that people treat the RI themselves and never go to the vet unless it gets worse not better. I have read where a lot of people use this method. Is it the best route? I don't know but it is working for the OP. It is the same method anyone that is using google will fine. The best route is taking them to the vet to get check out. No one is arguing that point toots.

I don't think it is fair to attack the method such as you are doing. Really? ghetto half science? It seems you are also attacking the OP. You might not agree with the method which you have stated several times in this thread. You have given the risks in using this method. But don't start attacking just because they don't agree with you. There really isn't any more point

Old 04-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #38
MysticExotics
To add onto what Stehpanie said, My Vet (who is an Exotic Vet) is wonderful, however she is very conservative. There are treatments that have proven to be effective, but she leans towards the cautious side, & she would likely advise against the use of F10.
However, someone whom I trust just as much as any good Exotic Vet, is who I heard about F10 from, & I feel confident in following her recommendations, even though my Vet would advise against it.

I'm sure F10 was considered "reckless" in the beginning.
I'm not saying I back this Eucalyptus/Vicks treatment, just saying I keep an open mind about this stuff. If it has been successful with a number of people, then there's a chance it could be/become an acceptable treatment.
Some essential oils are definitely harmful, even ones deemed "safe" to use around pets. You have to be careful about the quality of oils, as some are not as "pure".

Old 04-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #39
Carinata
Here’s my issue, as I have stated many times. Someone who has had snakes less than a year, is telling people how to treat their snake with boiling water, and human medication. I’m weird…… I react so strongly because I see too many new people to the hobby try and do this instead of go to the vet. I’ve been doing this 10 years. I know how to dose fenbendazole, metronidazole, etc and keep them at my house. I still call my vet before I use anything. I’ve treated RIs that were in the beginning stages without any meds. If you have to resort to meds, you need to see a vet. As I said, ghetto half-science, that’s exactly what that was. It’s not the nicest term, but it’s what it was. I mean, you’re putting the snakes in bags and boiling a cup of water and putting it next to them. What if one of those snakes move in that bag and tips that thing of water? I’ve seen tons of snakes move a bag. I mean it’s such an unsafe method, and you’re telling people to do it (hence the how-to). I mean so much can go wrong with that method, it’s shocking to me more people aren’t upset. I mean you’re putting the snakes in close contact, as well, which opens up a whole new can of worms. To me, it seems reckless, and quite unsafe.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #40
Outcast
Change is always fought by those who want things to stay the same.

If it works, it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. Sounds to me like there are more people who have used this method, that say it works, than those who have used it and say it doesn't.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google