CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

I seem to always miss the "morph" in the wild!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
Chip
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBaroness View Post
Chip, I'll take a black rat if it looks like that!!!

Was in a local find? Also, please tell me it's staying in the area! I really want one.
I am sworn to secrecy on the location of the find. Largely, b/c we're going to breed him to every female normal from around there we can catch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Are you sure its a black rat or pine snake??? "In the head pic" it looks more Pine snake-ish to me. But pics can be misleading on a cell phone...
It's a black rat. I keep black pines and have caught hundreds (literally) of these snakes (minus the calico look, of course). Not a doubt in my mind this is P.o.obsoleta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBaroness View Post
This kinda does raise a lot of questions.

Could this somehow be related to Palmetto? Intergrade?
No. It's well outside of the range you will ever see a corn snake where this animal was caught for starters. But the biggest difference is the palmetto corn's head looks nothing like this black rat's. The palmetto has the head of a corn. This animal has the head of a black rat. Outside of the patterning and eyes, which are darn similar on both animals, a close look at both will clear up any confusion. I do wonder if this is the same gene popping up in a black rat, and do find it very curious that these two sports would pop up in the same 5 year period. Too weird.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #12
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrojo View Post
I am sworn to secrecy on the location of the find. Largely, b/c we're going to breed him to every female normal from around there we can catch!

No. It's well outside of the range you will ever see a corn snake where this animal was caught for starters. But the biggest difference is the palmetto corn's head looks nothing like this black rat's. The palmetto has the head of a corn. This animal has the head of a black rat. Outside of the patterning and eyes, which are darn similar on both animals, a close look at both will clear up any confusion. I do wonder if this is the same gene popping up in a black rat, and do find it very curious that these two sports would pop up in the same 5 year period. Too weird.
LOL! Go catch them all!!!

I'm just ribbing you. However, I agree, it's too weird. They do look freaky close though. Even that blue eye...

Old 05-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
Camby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Are you sure its a black rat or pine snake??? "In the head pic" it looks more Pine snake-ish to me. But pics can be misleading on a cell phone...
Eastern Pituophis have 4 prefrontal scales, this one only has two in the pic as far as I can tell so that would rule out any eastern form of Pituophis.

dc

Old 05-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #14
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post
"Too bad no one wants black rats"?! AYFK?! SEND IT TO ME!
I agree! I'd love a few black rats that looked like that!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #15
Nanci
I'd sure like to see what a clutch from this guy and a female Palmetto would produce. The general look reminds me of a white-sided Florida King, too. I'm not saying the two things are in any way related, of course not- just that as with the Tessera and gartersnakes, different types of snakes can evolve the same look.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #16
Bryanchesnutt
Very interesting find. Though it does raise many questions

Old 05-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #17
Chip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I'd sure like to see what a clutch from this guy and a female Palmetto would produce. The general look reminds me of a white-sided Florida King, too. I'm not saying the two things are in any way related, of course not- just that as with the Tessera and gartersnakes, different types of snakes can evolve the same look.
Yeah, neat stuff, isn't it? I plan to have a female Palmetto before long, but wouldn't dream of pairing a black rat up with her! Maybe an F1 down the road, but that would just be for knowledge because whether the gene is compatible or not; I wouldn't want the hybrid babies... and wouldn't want to sell them, wouldn't want to freeze them...

Old 05-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #18
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanchesnutt View Post
Very interesting find. Though it does raise many questions
I don't think it opens up nearly as many questions as people are thinking. Most of that what people were saying is playful banter.

Could this be a similar gene? Totally! Does this mean things are hybrids? Not totally. It's a cool animal and breeding trails will tell if it's genetic.

Quote:
Yeah, neat stuff, isn't it? I plan to have a female Palmetto before long, but wouldn't dream of pairing a black rat up with her! Maybe an F1 down the road, but that would just be for knowledge because whether the gene is compatible or not; I wouldn't want the hybrid babies... and wouldn't want to sell them, wouldn't want to freeze them...
That would be a be a cool experiment with an F1. The gene certainly has some similar visual aspects, it would be awesome to know if it's compatible.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #19
Nanci
Quote:
I know. I would want to know if the gene was compatible, but then there is the hybrid issue, and I have the same qualms you do. Still- the second that snake was captured, the question arose. Probably better to address it directly!

Old 05-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #20
crotalis40741
I would love to see it put over some of the calico black rats from Ky.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google