CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Broken tail

Old 01-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
bitsy
Your core body temp is in the mid-90s. Whilst the skin on your hand will be cooler, the heated part of the tank floor should always feel barely warm (in the mid-80s). That's only a rough guide, so a reliable thermometer would be a good move. If the shop sold you the dial thermometers, they probably thought they'd done their duty. Sadly few shops realise how unreliable these are.

Thermostats aren't usually sold with starter kits either. I think it's because it would bump the price up and put people off. I wish that every heat mat came with one built in!

As a rough guide, one-third of the tank's floor area needs to be heated.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
LMS68
*Bump*

Just found how to calculate the tank size & it looks like I have a 15 gallon?

I'm wondering why I got the strong impression from the vet that she thought my tank was too small? (My son got that impression too) When I searched on the forum, a grown up corn can live in a 20 gallon. I'm a bit confused.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #13
Alicia P
There are 2 different sizes of 20gal tanks. A long version - 20L (30Lx12Wx16H) and a high version - 20H (24Lx12Wx16H). Generally when a 20gal tank is said to be ok to use people are referring to a 20H.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
Alicia P
I meant they aren't referring to a 20H but a 20L.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #15
bitsy
I tend to go by measurements. For my adults, as a minimum I like a floor area of 36" x 12", with a height of 18". However, I go bigger where I can.

Having said that, many rack system tubs are smaller and Corns can thrive in those.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #16
LMS68
Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it.

So I'm guessing for right now she is ok with the length of her tank?

I need to get it replaced regardless, so I guess my son & I could start building her a bigger one.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #17
SMDminnesota
As long as we're on the topic of tails. My little hatchling had gotten loose about a month ago and when I found her the end of her tail was motionless. It's about the bottom inch of the tail that is dead. It's turning a darker color and there's a little shed stuck on it. Her vent is fine and she eats like I starve her and poops just fine. Should I be worried or take an action, or just let nature run its course?

Old 01-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #18
AliCat37
I wouldn't be too worried, though it does sound like she'll lose the tip of the tail. I have a butter here that is missing her tail tip and she is just fine without it. If it does fall off, I'd keep her on paper towels until it's healed. I'd try to get the stuck shed off though, before you completely give up on it.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #19
LMS68
Martha once had a shed where the tip of the tail retained some dead skin, we just kept an eye on it, moistened it often & at the next she it came off but it never went black. I think I saw a thread on here (forum) regarding a similar incident & there was a photo of it. If I remember where I saw it I'll give you the link.

Last night was a double shot one for poor Martha (last pain med + the 3rd AB). On the second shot she voided ON me this time. Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-U! Last week when she voided (a clear med viscosity), at least it just missed me. Upon looking at her tail it looked like there was a white film on it & then we noticed that she was ready to shed. When she reticulated (?) trying to avoid getting a jab, it got some skin loose in her midriff. We kept a close eye on signs of shedding & we never saw the blue haze or dullness. So we spritzed her tank enough for one area of the paper towel to be super damp so she would slither through it (got her damp as well). Should we just keep it really humid & only do that or should I pay more attention to the tail for a successful shed there?

Old 01-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
LMS68
Still no shed but there are a few flakes coming off every time we handle her. We are spritzing the tank daily trying to keep the humidity up near 50 but it's not easy to do when it's so dry right now. I tried the damp paper towel & tried having her go in a water bowl but she's having none of either.

Should I worry? What can I do to help her?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google