CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

just how fast does it take snakes to get scale rot anyhow?

Old 03-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #51
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyreiania View Post
Not so...just cause one has it, does not mean the other WILL get it, even though it is contagious. It is not a given that the other snake WILL get it. I have had the experience of two cohabitating snakes where one got scale rot and the other did not.
Ok, I'll put it another way. If the snakes were in seperate enlosures the chances of more than one contracting the scale rot would be considerably smaller, given normal levels of hygiene practice.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #52
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Not so...just cause one has it, does not mean the other WILL get it, even though it is contagious. It is not a given that the other snake WILL get it. I have had the experience of two cohabitating snakes where one got scale rot and the other did not.
Your snakes should not be getting scale rot period. Healthy well cared for snakes do not get scale rot. Scale rot means something is wrong in the environment in which they are being kept.

Poor husbandry and stress wearing out the immune systems are potential causes.

Scale rot is NOT normal or common in animals that are being cared for properly.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #53
Tara80
Lyreiania, stress is not an emotion. You can look that up.

Plants feel stress. Trees feel stress when you cut them down.

It's not an "emotion", it's a flight/fight mechanism that all living organisms have.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #54
Nanci
Quote:
I fed them on March 19th and neither ate with their usual appetite,
Quote:
My snakes...eat very regularly. I do not think they would be eating if they were that disturbed. Snakes go off their food at any reason...stress should be among them... I think Adderal is a bit slower than normal.
You _are_ observing signs of stress, whether you choose to interpret it as such or choose to ignore it. I'm sure you're doing the best you can.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #55
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBaroness View Post
Your snakes should not be getting scale rot period. Healthy well cared for snakes do not get scale rot. Scale rot means something is wrong in the environment in which they are being kept.

Poor husbandry and stress wearing out the immune systems are potential causes.

Scale rot is NOT normal or common in animals that are being cared for properly.
This is true. Mojo, Syko and Stark have been spilling their water constantly for the past 2 weeks. I have come home to their tubs looking like a sauna.

And in 18 years of snake keeping, I have never even seen scale rot in real life.

The very FACT that you have scale rot in the first place means that something is wrong. And to knowingly expose the other snake to a contagious illness, what the hell are you thinking?????

Old 03-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #56
Lyreiania
LOL. I very obviously did not make myself clear, I apologize for that. When I had the situation where one had it and the other did not, of course they were separated during its treatment; it is after all contagious. In this case, BOTH seem to have it, so there is no reason to separate them. BOTH are being treated concurrently. It is like two human patients who have the same disease being in the same hospital room. Patients with MRSA can be in the same room. This is no different.

As for scale rot, it happens, and does not have to be associated with bad husbandry. I keep my animals quite clean. I have been keeping snakes well over 10 years. In all that time, this is the second time Ive seen it (third if you count each snake as a separate event). IF it even is scale rot to begin with (though it likely is) I think my housing is OK

And if I divided their large tank into two, then I believe I would be cruel as neither snake would have enough room....I believe that its cruel if they can not stretch out fully in an enclosure.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #57
Isoldael
Actually, scale rot is not necessarily a sign of stress. I've seen many healthy, well-kept snakes develop scale rot. I've seen many cohabbed snakes spill their water and not develop scale rot. Claiming that the scale rot in this case is a direct result of cohabbing is another unfounded consclusion.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #58
starsevol
Quote:
LOL. I very obviously did not make myself clear, I apologize for that. When I had the situation where one had it and the other did not, of course they were separated during its treatment; it is after all contagious. In this case, BOTH seem to have it, so there is no reason to separate them. BOTH are being treated concurrently. It is like two human patients who have the same disease being in the same hospital room. Patients with MRSA can be in the same room. This is no different.

As for scale rot, it happens, and does not have to be associated with bad husbandry. I keep my animals quite clean. I have been keeping snakes well over 10 years. In all that time, this is the second time Ive seen it (third if you count each snake as a separate event). IF it even is scale rot to begin with (though it likely is) I think my housing is OK

And if I divided their large tank into two, then I believe I would be cruel as neither snake would have enough room....I believe that its cruel if they can not stretch out fully in an enclosure.
Nope, your housing is not ok. If your cage split in half is not big enough for each snake, it sure as hell is not big enough is for 2.....they need to be in an enclosure where they can't even see each other.

And if you were keeping them properly, scale rot wouldn't happen.....

Healthy well kept snakes don't get scale rot. Apparently, yours are not healthy or well kept.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #59
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoldael View Post
Actually, scale rot is not necessarily a sign of stress. I've seen many healthy, well-kept snakes develop scale rot. I've seen many cohabbed snakes spill their water and not develop scale rot. Claiming that the scale rot in this case is a direct result of cohabbing is another unfounded consclusion.
Prove it. Prove to me that lower immune response due to stress does not have the possibility to cause scale rot.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #60
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoldael View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBaroness View Post
Prove it. Prove to me that lower immune response due to stress does not have the possibility to cause scale rot.
BB, I think her definition of healthy and well kept is quite a bit different than ours is!
I would like to see it proven as well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google