CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Recommend a base?

Old 10-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #21
Galataya16
A goldust could possibly be added to that list too.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #22
albertagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galataya16 View Post
I really want a coral/salmon tessera with the colors of the JMG line. Been thinking about maybe starting a breeding project in a few years to maybe try and breed one for myself lol. Then I really want a coral from John at Colorado Corns. An anery tessera, and a reverse okeetee are on the list. I haven't decided if I will do any other breeding but have been thinking about it. It would be so fun. It's exciting to see on here. Think I might stick with those morphs for now and think of creative names to go with the walking dead theme.
You gotta love those pinks!

(now for my rant on breeding. LOL)

I've thought about breeding, I am really interested in the genetics and science of it, and having babies would be amazing... I watch jealously every time someone shows their hatchlings pipping. But after working in rescue, I don't think I could do it. Realistically you have 2 adults and 10-20 babies to take care of and try to sell for every baby you produce that you keep... assuming the morph you're shooting for even makes it into any given clutch. To me it's cheaper, faster, and safer to just buy the morph I want than to try to create it.

I don't know the stats on snakes, only on dogs and cats, but the percentage of dogs and cats that actually ended up A) surviving a natural lifespan and B) living out life in someone's home is mortifyingly low. Something like 20%. The rest end up going from home to home or in shelters where they get put down. With reptiles I doubt it's much different. Our society has made pets into disposable merchandise.

I do believe that SOME people should be breeding, but definitely not me, and probably not most. Nothing personal at all, I just have really strong opinions on the matter.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #23
albertagirl
Quote:
A goldust could possibly be added to that list too.
Golddusts, peppermints, and palmettos have the best eyes!!

Old 10-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #24
Galataya16
I go back and forth on the issue. I have pets from both sides and in between. I do agree totally that people have made pets disposable and it makes me sad. I know there are issues where pets need to be rehomed and such but I will do everything I absolutely can to give all of my pets a great, forever home. But you don't really see coral tesseras. Dave Partington has a couple beautiful females for sale but they aren't quite the bright that I really love. Steve Roylance had a post in 2012 of a possible coral tessera also. But those are the only ones I've ever seen. So breeding to get a morph I would truly love might be an only option. But I'm also sure eventually they may come around more too. Why I'm kind of on the fence about it. Doing it once, for the experience would be pretty amazing though I think. I don't breed anything else and all of my dogs and cats are fixed. Like I said, kind of riding the line. I know most people who are adamant about rescuing have strong opinions and are very passionate about their beliefs. Like I said, I have pets from all sources. Two Chihuahuas are from breeders, one was from an accidental litter from my little man and my mom's minpin that we kept and my Aussie is from the humane society. One of my cats is a pound Kitty and the other from a rescue. One of my birds is from a breeder and the other I consider a rescue cause he got booted from his home because the owners got a bird dog instead. My beardie I also consider a rescue because he also go booted from a home for a dog (which the dog was from a rescue but they have different views on pets then I care forfor, great people but way different opinions then mine. Made the comment that if they didn't find the guinea pig a home would have to take it out and shoot it. Back to your disposable pet thing). I'm kind of a sucker and feel horrible when I know a pet is being booted because they want another pet. Again, there are certain circumstances that are different but in most cases I really feel for the booted pets and want to give them happy homes.

That was a totally all over the place post for sure, but at least hope my feelings were somewhat displayed lol.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #25
Galataya16
I'm not a huge palmetto fan. Call me crazy, they are pretty snakes, they all are, but meh. Not my first choice for a morph.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #26
albertagirl
Quote:
I go back and forth on the issue. I have pets from both sides and in between. I do agree totally that people have made pets disposable and it makes me sad. I know there are issues where pets need to be rehomed and such but I will do everything I absolutely can to give all of my pets a great, forever home. But you don't really see coral tesseras. Dave Partington has a couple beautiful females for sale but they aren't quite the bright that I really love. Steve Roylance had a post in 2012 of a possible coral tessera also. But those are the only ones I've ever seen. So breeding to get a morph I would truly love might be an only option. But I'm also sure eventually they may come around more too. Why I'm kind of on the fence about it. Doing it once, for the experience would be pretty amazing though I think. I don't breed anything else and all of my dogs and cats are fixed. Like I said, kind of riding the line. I know most people who are adamant about rescuing have strong opinions and are very passionate about their beliefs. Like I said, I have pets from all sources. Two Chihuahuas are from breeders, one was from an accidental litter from my little man and my mom's minpin that we kept and my Aussie is from the humane society. One of my cats is a pound Kitty and the other from a rescue. One of my birds is from a breeder and the other I consider a rescue cause he got booted from his home because the owners got a bird dog instead. My beardie I also consider a rescue because he also go booted from a home for a dog (which the dog was from a rescue but they have different views on pets then I care forfor, great people but way different opinions then mine. Made the comment that if they didn't find the guinea pig a home would have to take it out and shoot it. Back to your disposable pet thing). I'm kind of a sucker and feel horrible when I know a pet is being booted because they want another pet. Again, there are certain circumstances that are different but in most cases I really feel for the booted pets and want to give them happy homes.

That was a totally all over the place post for sure, but at least hope my feelings were somewhat displayed lol.
I think I understood where you were going with it, and I agree you have to find your balance. For example, all of my dogs and cats have been rescues or give-aways, and probably always will be in future, but I purposely went to breeders for my snakes even though there were corn snakes in our local rescue. Why? It's hard to answer that without sounding selfish, but it was something I really wanted. It was the compromise that worked for me, as much as I'd rather be able to say that I don't compromise. LOL

Old 10-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #27
albertagirl
Quote:
I'm not a huge palmetto fan. Call me crazy, they are pretty snakes, they all are, but meh. Not my first choice for a morph.
I feel the same way about a few really popular morphs. I enjoy seeing the differences in people's ideals of beauty. What's your absolute favorite morph?

Old 10-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #28
Galataya16
A balance, exactly. I know people who feel probably similar with their dogs. I have a friend that will only go through a breeder because you get exactly what you want with less chance of health issues, etc. Of course that takes a lot of research and a lot of effort to find the proper, responsible breeder. Me, I don't care where they come from (well I do, I would never intentionally support someone with poor morals where the animal doesn't matter) because they all deserve proper care, love, and affection. Everyone has their own ideas and opinions. I don't think it makes you selfish, you knew what you wanted and you went for it.

I absolutely love the corals that John has. I think if they were a tessera it would be by far my favorite. Pink and black are my favorite colors lol. There was a gold dust that turkeytim had that I just loved!!
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137941

I think opals are really pretty too, and peppermint stripes. A lot of times too it's a case by case. There are tons of gorgeous unique snakes in a common morph that may just be absolutely stunning. I really love my two babies now. They are beautiful. They have gorgeous colors and markings. I'll have to go check out yours!!! What's your all time fave?

Old 10-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #29
Galataya16
*the golddust at the bottom of the first page*

Old 10-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #30
Galataya16
Your snakes are gorgeous! I really love your Rippley and Meridian!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google