• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

the saga continues........

Yep Roy, I just couldn't take the risk of either losing Lil to egg-binding after all this saga, or of having a whole hatch of non-feeders.

Roy Munson said:
Some feeding problems probably are genetic. You might pair up two siblings because both are het for the amel trait, expecting 25% of the offspring to be amel. But each sibling might also be het for "I don't wanna eat" trait, which could result in 25% of the offspring being "I don't wanna eat" corns.

It's a pity that corns haven't evolved to lose that one - hardly seems like a great survival strategy :shrugs:

but that is where our inteference comes in, in the wild the trait of non-feeding would equal early death!

diamondlil said:
but that is where our inteference comes in, in the wild the trait of non-feeding would equal early death!
Yep, and even the harmful trait hets would rarely be paired for expression in the wild. I guess anerys aren't uncommon in wild populations, but I don't think the same can be said for most mutant traits. Most cool color/pattern mutations arose in captive populations. Unfortunately, some not-so-cool mutations are likely to have arisen as well.

cuddling the pinky

The mice produed some more fine fat pinks this week, waited 4 days and popped 1 in with Lil last night. Firstly she examined it and pooped on it. Took pink out and wiped it clean. this morning she is coiled loosely around it, I don't know what to try next. Can a snake lose it's feeding instinct? If she hasn't got the idea by tonight I'll have to syringe her again, I don't want her to start losing weight again, she was last fed 8 days ago so should be hungry. This is driving me crazy.

Haven't been able to locate lizard-maker in the uk, but could try scrap of skin next time our leopard gecko sloughs, but Blossom (the leo) usually eats the skin

i cant recall if you've already tried this, but have you any anole lizards in the UK? i've read that sometimes people scent pinks with anole lizards to stimulate a feeding response in corns that wont eat.

i've got plenty of anoles in my yard now...if i could send some over the pond i would.

anoles

I wish you could post them! Not available here except rarely as pets, cheapest lizards I have seen are wc tokays at £14, but then if I give Lil parasites as well........Am going to try some of Blossom's next shed, am kicking myself I didn't think of it before

diamondlil said:
Haven't been able to locate lizard-maker in the uk, but could try scrap of skin next time our leopard gecko sloughs, but Blossom (the leo) usually eats the skin

Hey, I volunteer at a reptile shop and they sell Lizard Maker. What's more, it's in Kent. Do you think you would be interested? Depending on exactly where you live? Or if you rang them up, they might even deliver to you for a little extra fee :shrugs:

Well I hope it can help you in some way ;) I'm almost certain they could order Lizard Maker for you, even if it's not displayed in the shop. Or at the very least they will recommend somewhere you CAN get it. They're very friendly and will help you in any way they can.

excellent news, thankyou so much, I'll pop over on the train next week, heavy work schedule this week, back on nights. Just checked and pinky still crawling around with Lil ignoring it. I'll probably give her a week to de-stress after this feeding attempt before trying anything new, but lizard-scent all I haven't tried yet. :)

I'm so sorry to hear she didn't eat. I hope the lizard maker works.

But then I'll be the only syringe mama on the board!

I'm not holding my breath! Just checked, after 24 hours the pinky still alive and well, Lil avoiding it when it squirms over to her. I'll be syringing tomorrow unless she suddenly gets the idea of what she's supposed to do overnight

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

:santa: At last, the day I've been waiting for, LIL HAS EATEN A LIVE PINKY! Her first voluntary feed since 17th of January. I thought I'd put her and the pinky in a smaller tub again this morning, then went back to sleep (day off, only got up to shoo boys off to school). Checked now, 1 snow with a feeeding lump, no piunky! Here's the photo evidence, I'm so totally overexcited
IMG[]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/nurseyj9/mouseeaten.jpg[/IMG]
Oh oh my snake has eaten at last!
:crazy02:

IMG[]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/nurseyj9/mouseeaten.jpg[/IMG]
whoops, try again, I said I was overexcited

mouseeaten.jpg

That's awesome news!!! Now just keep it down!! Lets go for number two soon! Woohoo!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Well Lil hasn't re-gurged at all on the syringing, so am hoping this mouse will stay in and I can try again next week. Unfortunately only 2 pinkies left in the nest and they may grow too fast, (this one was blinking huge!) but at least I know she can do it! Am going to get another pair of mice to breed as these only have small litters and only raised 5 first time, ate the next lot, and 3 this time.

Back