• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Metal in a mouse...My Poor Festivus

Know that you and Festivus are in my heart and thoughts. You've done a great job and will continue to do so. I know everything will be fine!

But if his throat hurts....

I know I hate eating when MY throat hurts, and I like food way too much....

He was eating every 5 days but he hasn't eaten now since the 5th...

It's nearly healed! If his throat hurts a little now, and he doesn't eat, it will be twice as healed in a week! He will not starve. And it's barely dusk! Not eating time, anyway.

Beth, Festivus is a healthy looking boy. It has not been that long since he last ate.

I think once he has healed, he appetite will return.

All I can do is go home and settle him back into his cage. But since he didn't eat, he's getting his meds tonight....

Funny how when something like this happens, all my sense goes out the window. I'm like a newbie, afraid everything I do is wrong....

I totally understand... I know he'll make a great recovery ^_^. Just give him some time. Besides, they can go a LONG time without eating. Skipping a couple of feedings isn't going to hurt the big guy.

Oh and I'm glad you are giving him his meds. It's very important with antibiotics that you neither MISS a dose or QUIT TAKING them altogether. They work by slowly killing any infection and if you stop too soon then the infection just rebounds and gets stronger which would NOT be good... I know he has no infection now, but it's always something to look out for...

*hugs for you and Festivus*

He'll be his old self again soon, I'm sure of it ^_^.

Jadie's right... antibiotics work only if you keep a certain level in the system. When that level goes down, the bacteria have a chance to "regroup" and it is like starting all over again... sometimes with more resistant bacteria present as well. My PCP told me that when I had a staph infection.

Thanks guys :)
Maybe I won't try to feed him again for the next 2 weeks (til the antibiotics are gone) or if I do, maybe snal a pinky in half so it's easier for him to digest....if he does eat....

I'm still fairly terrified, no sleep last night.
Aw well, at least HE seems comfortable!

i hope he gets better soon and continues eating enthusiastically as he did before, my thoughts are with you.

Is there a reason you don't want to do antibiotics AND a feed? Are you worried about a regurge? Or is it because you don't want to upset his stomach by wrestling him around to feed him the antibiotics while he's trying to digest?

Yes, regurge is what I'm worrird about.
It would totally (insert expletive here) to have him finally take food only to regurge.....

Maybe you should supplement his water with nutri-bac. Antibiotics can kill good bacteria which might increase the risk of a regurge. Not sure if this has been mentioned before or not.

I think right now the antibiotics would cancel out the Nutribac, but that's a great suggestion for when the antibiotics are finished! I always give Isabel (dragon) probiotics after her coccidiosis treatments. (Acidophiliz).

Really, there isn't any reason why he should regurge, since the initial regurge was caused by the foreign object. Except if you're trying to medicate him and handling him. What did the vet say about that?

When Addy (snake) had to get a shot every other day for three weeks, I just didn't feed her.

Beth, since he's going to be so accustomed to being tubed anyway, (and now that you're the snake tubing expert!) if you felt like it, you could just pop a dose of Nutribac right into his stomach after the last antibiotic dose. If you and the vet think that's a good idea. I love Nutribac- I'm like a Nutribac pusher.

The vet didn't seem to think a regurge was very serious!
He is getting harder and harder to medicate.
He squirms and it's REALLY hard to get the syringe in his mouth.
It takes both of us and its always a huge struggle.

I don't have one, just a needleless syringe...
We need to put it down past the incisions.
It's small enough for his throat, what's awful (and stressful) is getting his mouth open.

Well if you want me to send you one like the one I used on Noah, I'd be happy to. You don't have to open the mouth at all, just weasel it into the corner of the mouth. That's how my vet does all oral meds on snakes.

Back