CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Metal in a mouse...My Poor Festivus

Old 10-13-2008, 05:42 PM   #51
jpccusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
I have a huge magnet I'm keeping in the bathroom now, and I plan on passing it over every mouse from now on....
I don't want to sound discouraging, but I was thinking of all the other things mice could eat besides pieces of metal.
Couldn't a piece of hard plastic have done the same to poor Festivus esophagus?

Old 10-13-2008, 05:52 PM   #52
Nanci
I would think he won't associate what happened with feeding- I hope- because he probably doesn't remember, and maybe the anaesthesia helped with that!-but if his next meal is painful, he might then associate feeding with pain. So it's good that you are starting out tiny, and like Mike says, if anything looks even slightly off or not quite healed, I'd hold off another week and reassess. He's in such good condition he can spare a week or two.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:15 PM   #53
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpccusa View Post
I don't want to sound discouraging, but I was thinking of all the other things mice could eat besides pieces of metal.
Couldn't a piece of hard plastic have done the same to poor Festivus esophagus?
This was a piece of hardware cloth, a piece of the cage. And it was way too big for it to have been eaten by the mouse. The mouse was a hopper, fully furred but tiny, and the metal was 1/3" wide. It was stuck in the mouse. most possibly buried in the mouses body. I don't think plastic would have pierced his throat like this did, it looks like long thorns or spikes and is rusty. I didn't see it, but who LOOKS for something like that?
I will from now on, though...

Old 10-13-2008, 09:10 PM   #54
Susielea
Oh Beth, I only just saw this, I've been away, but I can't imagine how scary this must have been

I'm so glad to see that you managed to get the little guy sorted at the vets and I truly wish him a speedy and full recovery!

(((hugs))) to you too, I thought you might need them

Best wishes,

Old 10-13-2008, 09:24 PM   #55
JoannaD
I can not even imagine what it was like to see him like that! You are lucky to have someone that could help out. I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #56
Weebonilass
I'm so glad to hear that he is holding his own. He looks much better in his pictures than my imagination was flying off to. I'm glad of that!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:36 PM   #57
ciara
Glad to hear he's doing better! *hugs* What a terrifying thing to have happen.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:24 AM   #58
Nanci
How's he doing this morning, Beth?? I guess it's hard to check on him in the morning- he's probably sleeping. But still!

Old 10-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #59
starsevol
Thank you so much everyone!
You guys are so supportive and wonderful.
I appreciate it so much......

Nanci, the swelling looks to be almost down this morning.
He fought at meds time, he seems to have plenty of strength, at least.
All day Sunday I kept expecting to find him belly-up....

The incisions in his neck have turned black, not in a bad way though.
They look like they are scabbing over and starting to heal.

But I won't breathe easily until he takes a pinky on Friday.....

Old 10-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #60
Roy Munson
*Fingers still crossed...*

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google