CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Biggest Wild Snakes You've Ever Found

Old 07-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
Brewster320
Biggest Wild Snakes You've Ever Found

I'm curious to know what is the largest wild snake you have ever seen. Also if theres a snakes that isn't snake you've ever seen by if massive for that species I'd like to know about it also. I'm curious to see what people have caught. Oh and if you have any pictures that'd be geat, because what a old fish talewith out some pictures.

I'll start with about 3 years ago I was in NH at our family's cabin with everybody there and out of no where this massive garter snake just appeared. Well I caught it and shewas huge. I had nothing to measure hurt but I guess she was between 4-4 1/2ft becauseshe dwarf my biggest corn snake and my boawhich are both a little bit over the 3ft mark now. Unfortunately I have no pictures so you can call me a liar if you must but its I still know its out there.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
The_Thunderer
Well, I caught a 5 foot Red Racer a couple years ago. I don't have pics of it, but I do have some of a smaller one that I caught earlier this year. Here's one...

I also caught a 4-5 foot bull/gopher snake... but alas, I didn't take pics of him... (SOB!).

Old 07-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
Buzzard
7ft Yellow rat snake, I will have to dig for the pic. But the park naturalist and I measured it.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
bfreewally1
I caught a 6 ft. corn snake back in the early 70`s. I brought it home but back then I had no camera. It was so big it wrapped around my waistnearly 3X. It was caught in s. florida. I kept if for a couple months but it never ate in captivity so I released it.. I have never seen a corn snake so big in or out of captivity. I have a 5 footer now that I have had for almost 3 yrs. Also a yellow rat in the central fl. Ocala national forest that was about 6 ft. which I released because it was full of ticks and mites..Sorry for no pics. But these are no fish tales. Also a 7 seven ft. diamondback that I didn`t catch but was seen crossing the road in s. fl. and killed by rednecks.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
bfreewally1
I forgot about the 2 Indigo snakes I caught. The biggest one was about 6ft.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
giraffe77aft
Quote:
Well, I caught a 5 foot Red Racer a couple years ago.
Thunderer, do you keep red racers or are they better left in the wild?

Old 07-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
The_Thunderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffe77aft View Post
Thunderer, do you keep red racers or are they better left in the wild?
I've tried to keep them... some didn't eat... others ate but were SUPREMELY vicious (making my LTR seem like a very tame corn). Since my kids and wife were "afraid" of them, I let all the adults go. Even thought I tried to

BUT, I recently caught a baby Red Racer that I hope will eat, color up and tame down nicely. If it does, it MIGHT be my first keeper! LOL.

His thread is here!

Old 07-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
Murder Serpent
Pacific Gopher snake

Old 07-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #9
El Jefe
Longest or Heaviest?

Longest is a tie :1) black tailed cribo (South American Indigo) captured in Costa Rica and it was 8+ft; 2) Fer-de-lance (Bothrops asper) in Costa Rica that was about the same length...but it wasn't caught as I did not have hooks or tongs and wasn't going to tail a snake that big!

Heaviest was a boa constrictor in Costa Rica: 30+ pounds but only 7ish feet.

In the US: longest would go to eastern coachwhips....6+ feet and heaviest would go to timber rattlesnakes.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
ghosthousecorns
Pacific gopher snakes get pretty big, but once when I lived in California I came across a giant cali king in pursuit of a big gopher snake. That was a big kingsnake! Those cali kings are probably the biggest snakes I have seen in the wild. I helped the gopher snake get away

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google