CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

i need some advice help :(

Old 01-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #81
Asbit
DarkSmoke

Did you move him up to a larger mouse than what you were feeding him when he was on the regurge protocol? If so then I would suggest going right back to the start of the regurge protocol and taking it slower this time.

If you were still following the regurge protocol AND you have gotten the thermometer and Thermostat/rheostat as your were advised to a long time ago AND you have been regularly checking the temps AND know with out a doubt that the warm side is no lower than 80 and no higher than 85 and the cool side is generally 70-75 THEN after this many regurges I would suggest a possible visit to a qualified reptile vet to see if there is another issue causing the repeat regurges.

This of course is just my opinion and what I would be doing at this point. Sorry to hear it happened again and good luck.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #82
DarkSmoke
no my temps aint much good but not much bad at the moment. he has a variety of temps on the warm side ranging from 85 to 91 and the hide is on the 85 part but even my other snake is like this and she never gave me a bit of trouble. tough im really concerned this time since people here say that if the snake doesn regurg after 4days the mouse would rot in his stomach and kill him and its been 7days from the last feeding. im starting to think that this snake is hopeless, right now i can't afford a vet neither more heathmats and a thermostat. i should afford a thermostat in 2weeks.

i changed home and money is a bit of and issue for now. but still what continues going around in my mind is why my ball python never had an issue and yet she doesn't have perfect temps neither but she's always happy and relax , eats as a charm. yet i was told it was suppose that ball pythons give trouble. both petshops i know that are the 2 most petshops that sell snakes in malta keep their snakes on one UTH (they don't care what their cool side temps are) and only one of the shop uses thermostats. they both doesn't have any issues with their snakes and they don't even provide hideouts to their snakes. yet my snake has hideouts and is kept clean and in good condition other then some temps issues and he's always regurging. even in summer when in malta was hot and their was no need for a UTH he regurged. And i only heard of 1 vet that sees snakes in malta and im really scared to take it to him since i don't know how much qualified he is and don't want to spend money for nothing or end up giving me some bad advice :S

Old 01-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #83
Asbit
I understand your money situation with having just moved and you concern over there only being one choice of vet for snakes in Malta.

To me the biggest problem I can guess with out being there is the up down temp in the warm side. With out consistent temps in a safe range you are going to have regurge problems. Your pet stores may tell you they have no problems BUT unless you are in there every day and on feeding days and have taken pics of the head markings so that you know exactly which snake you are looking at each time, you can never really know for sure what is happening in the pet store.

They could be offering food and the snake could be refusing, they could offer and the snake could eat and regurge, it could regurge off and on like yours has, the snake may die and be replace with a similar looking snake and they don't mention it as it is not good for business. The reason I suggested a vet is because often, not all the time, pet store reptiles are not cared for properly and become sickly before they are sold. Hopefully this is not the case with your snake.

If his warm side is getting as high as 91 that will easily cause a regurge, or cause the snake to stay on the cool side a lot even when it should be digesting and that as well may cause a regurge, esp after so long, no heat means longer to digest, to long to digest means regurge.

You have two priorities right now with regards to your snake.
1) get him back on regurge protocol and follow very strictly(see below)
2) save money get a thermometer(if you do not have a digital one) and get either a rheostat or a thermostat, and save for a possible vet trip

Put him back to the begining of regurge protocol and be VERY VERY diligent about not moving up in sizes until he has kept down at least 6 meals of each small size.

So wait 10 days! Feed a pinkie then wait 7 days to feed the next pinkie. After he has kept down 6 pinkie meals with no problems move to 2 pinkies, still 7 days apart. He is in a danger zone right now, so you need to go very slow!! After 6 meals of 2 pinkies, then move to 6 meals of fuzzies, spaced 7 days apart, then 6 meals of hoppers, 7 days apart but if he regurges during any stage of this again, start over and really consider the vet trip.... his life may depend on it.

EDIT: ORDER some NutriBac from Kathy Love's website, it will do wonders to help restore the natural balance in his stomach and enable him to start digesting properly again. This is the exact page on her site where she adveretises the NutriBac. http://www.corn-utopia.com/Corn%20Ut...cornsnakes.htm

Old 01-13-2010, 02:02 AM   #84
DarkSmoke
im gonna restart the regurg protocol , but i don't think this is the case of bad temps. im not trying to arguing with anyone who says this. but a nearly 2year old corn snake wich is still the size of a 6month corn snake and is always regurging. i think this snake was sick before it was sold to me, why ? because the day i got him he regurged. i tought this was because the petshop fed him before he sold him to me, tough i didn't see any bulge when i got him so im starting to think he had just a sick snake that he wanted to sell.

the petshop that sold it to me was a corn snake breeder and he used the same UTH as mine (wich have a variaty of temp range instead of one temp all over the surface) now this petshop is not open anymore, that was the last corn from 08 then he had 09 babies. so i bought the last 09 baby and i think that it was sick. but well maybe im wrong but i seriously doubt this is just a normal tempreture issue. iv done the protocol 2 times now , always doing those small feedings thats why im in high doubt.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:03 AM   #85
DarkSmoke
i bought the last 08 corn * not 09 mistake sry.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:16 AM   #86
bitsy
Back at the start of this thread after the first regurge (21st November), you were given lots of advice. Much of it involved following the regurge protocol and then feeding very small food items - pinkies - for months, before trying to increase the food size.

And yet here we are, less than two months later, and you're surprised that your snake can't keep a small mouse down.

He shouldn't be eating small mice yet. He should still be on pinkies.

You'e been given such good advice, repeatedly. I understand that money is difficult, the proper supplies are hard to come by in your location and that knowledgable reptile vets are rare. But there's so much more you could be doing to help your snake.

I'm so sorry to be blunt - you know that I've been very supportive of you both on the board and via PM. But you're killing that Corn Snake and it's mainly to do with incorrect temps and feeding it too large food items, too often, and too soon after previous regurges.

You can at least have complete control over the feeding aspect. Please, please, exercise it.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #87
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsy View Post
Back at the start of this thread after the first regurge (21st November), you were given lots of advice. Much of it involved following the regurge protocol and then feeding very small food items - pinkies - for months, before trying to increase the food size.

And yet here we are, less than two months later, and you're surprised that your snake can't keep a small mouse down.

You'e been given such good advice, repeatedly. I understand that money is difficult, the proper supplies are hard to come by in your location and that knowledgable reptile vets are rare. But there's so much more you could be doing to help your snake.

I'm so sorry to be blunt - you know that I've been very supportive of you both on the board and via PM. But you're killing that Corn Snake and it's mainly to do with incorrect temps and feeding it too large food items, too often, and too soon after previous regurges.

You can at least have complete control over the feeding aspect. Please, please, exercise it.
Absolutely. Please stick to the regurge protocol properly to give that poor snake a chance.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #88
DarkSmoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsy View Post

No sorry , By small mice i mean pinkies. again sorry if i was misunderstood. i never went larger then a pinky in these whole 2months , if i went to a larger mouse i would have said i went to a larger mouse.

And yes i know how supportive you have been and im very gratefull to that and i do have control on his food size. it doesn't make sense increasizing to a "mouse instead of pinky" when i was adviced by the whole board not to do so, and the pinkies are the only mouse the size of my corn in diametre.

i think the biggest mistake i ever done in my life was buying the corn snake from malta and at the age of 1 year 6months without doing more research before and learn what size the corn should have been at that age. im not disapointed tough for buying my ball python from malta since its a super good snake without no hassle at all. buy my next will sure NOT be bought from here.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #89
diamondlil
I also think your mistake is in buying a snake you cannot afford to buy the proper equipment for. Without accurate temperature control your snake is not thriving at all.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #90
DarkSmoke
i know. if i knew i needed all this equipment i would have bought it first before buying any snake. but try to understand me, i went to a shop , i saw how much the corn snakes were cheap before i ever new that a forum about corns/snake existed and when i saw the snake i asked the pet shop owner what i needed to own him, his answer was a vivarium, bedding, water bowl and a UTH for winter and a mouse the apropriate size a week. he made it that simple and didnt mention no thermostats and other problems im encountering. i know its still my fault and i admit it , but when it was that cheap and i only needed the things he mentioned i lost my mind and bought it.

also anyone pls know if a pinky mouse will survive by feeding him milk and and keep him warm? i read on the net its possible, anything else i need to do to him? sry for jumping out of topic.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google