CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

My 4 month old corn wont kill before he eats?

Old 01-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #21
Nroc
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSneer View Post
I feel that a real snake should be killing its prey, not eating prekilled frozen mice...
On average, real snakes don't live as long as pets do.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #22
danielle
One more thing to add is snakes don't have an instinct to kill and instead an instinct to eat which are wo different things. In the wild they have to kill to eat and in captivity they don't

Old 01-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #23
AWSneer
ahh very true! Good stuff good stuff!

Old 01-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #24
harm781
If he's hungry he'll more then likely eat with no problem. I have a corn I bought at my local pet & feed store. She was started on frozen but when they got her only fed live since thats all they supplied & she lived on that for 10 months. When I got her the second time I fed her I fed f/t and she gulped it up no problem. The next time I didn't want to risk injury so decided to try to start trying to switch & she's been eating f/t since with not once refusing. And she's been on adult mice since I got her so its proof that it can be done. Just make sure the mouse is really hot when feeding.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #25
jesserca
Quote:
Originally Posted by harm781 View Post
Just make sure the mouse is really hot when feeding.
Well not too hot! We don't want a burned snake.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #26
harm781
No but running it under hot water so the temp. is 98 that of a live mouse makes it more inticeing.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #27
LawDog1
Fresh killed works for me and mine.

When we got into cornsnakes we tried several different ways of feeding the mice to our snakes. When they were very little we fed them live pinkies because what harm is it going to do?

Then as they started getting bigger we decided we better figure something out before they get stick on live and wont convert. We tried buying frozen and we tried buying live then killing them. Buying live and killing works the best for us. All the benifits of fresh food, no worries of it fighting back.

The local paintball store sold us a CO2 canister with an on/off valve and a short bit of hose. The mice go into a container with a hole in the top, put the hose in the hole, slowly turn on the valve. When it looks like they are done twitching feed them to the snake! They are still nice and warm and only takes a minute. When we were warming frozen pinkies it took much longer.

Thats my recommendation. You will figure out what works for you.
Jimmy

Old 01-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #28
Nroc
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawDog1 View Post
We tried buying frozen and we tried buying live then killing them. Buying live and killing works the best for us. All the benifits of fresh food, no worries of it fighting back.
There are special benefits to frozen as well. I may have read that freezing them kills off any bacteria or parasites they may be carrying. I can't be sure about this though as I cannot remember where I read it.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #29
AWSneer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawDog1 View Post
When we got into cornsnakes we tried several different ways of feeding the mice to our snakes. When they were very little we fed them live pinkies because what harm is it going to do?

Then as they started getting bigger we decided we better figure something out before they get stick on live and wont convert. We tried buying frozen and we tried buying live then killing them. Buying live and killing works the best for us. All the benifits of fresh food, no worries of it fighting back.

The local paintball store sold us a CO2 canister with an on/off valve and a short bit of hose. The mice go into a container with a hole in the top, put the hose in the hole, slowly turn on the valve. When it looks like they are done twitching feed them to the snake! They are still nice and warm and only takes a minute. When we were warming frozen pinkies it took much longer.

Thats my recommendation. You will figure out what works for you.
Jimmy
That is a damn good idea!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #30
LawDog1
Thanks, but I can't claim it as my own. I read it on here.

Im sure many others have said it, but I'll say it again. On this forum is an unbelieveable wealth of knowledge. And you may be surprised to see how fast you get a response when you need help. If you have questions or problems, these are the brains to pick.

Jimmy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google