CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Classifieds Section > Other Animals and Related Items Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Other Animals and Related Items Wanted Any other types of animals, plus caging, feeders, etc, WANTED can be posted within this area.

GBK Breeder

Old 02-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
nicklandovich
GBK Breeder

I have been awestruck many times by pictures of good examples of the grey banded king snake. I want to locate a breeder of good examples of this snake but Google yields few places aside from ones I wouldn't feel comfortable with buying from. A search of this site yielded some info on the breed but most the breeders/sites suggested in the old threads are being updated circa '05.

Anyone know of any current breeders of this snake? Not looking for a snake immediately, just want to know where to go when my corns get here and established.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
MysticExotics
Bob Applegate of Applegate Reptiles is fairly well-known for prodicing nice Kingsnakes & Milksnakes. He attends a few of our local expos.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
nicklandovich
His site has a listing for them by no prices and just one picture. Is he better to read by email you think?

Old 02-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
MysticExotics
I think so, it says to email him, with a link.

You can check Fauna Calssifieds as well. Just be sure to check the BOI before buying from someone.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
nicklandovich
They seem pretty rare on faunaclassifieds as well. I don't know if they are less popular than other morphs or just rarer. Seems odd because I thought this as a pretty standard snake

Old 02-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
MysticExotics
It's also an off time for having babies. Usually breeders (in general) are doing their pairings now, so you won't be seeing avaiable babies for a little while. Most try to clear out available snakes by now, so give it time, & see what hatchling season brings.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
Chip
I worked with them for a half dozen years, but the babies got me out of the species. My honest 2 cents is July to September or so is when you want to shop. And don't buy any under 10 grams. Mine usually hatched at 7 or 8, and if they were eating, they were little growing machines. Fact was, some would not eat mice without being tricked. It is my belief that those should not be bred, and we would have hardier captive gray bands. But I'm retired from that fight, and mess with other species now. I dug up an old pic, though:
(This was two pinks, one's butt looked like another head)

There are a lot of good GBK breeders, consult the BOI. They are beautiful serpents, the young ones with fresh batteries are breath-taking!

Old 02-27-2013, 01:37 AM   #8
nicklandovich
20 pages into the kingsnake section on Faunaclassifieds and there has only been may 8 GBK ads and most those are for 2011 hatchlings/breeding pairs. Possibly they are more rare and out of season.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:37 AM   #9
nicklandovich
20 pages into the kingsnake section on Faunaclassifieds and there has only been may 8 GBK ads and most those are for 2011 hatchlings/breeding pairs. Possibly they are more rare and out of season.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
ArpeggioAngel
I have found over the years that there are not a lot of people who work with them because as Chip mentioned, some of the hatchlings are really hard to get eating on mice. I bred them a few years myself and did not have a high success rate. My last attempt I tried something different while the eggs were still developing and had better success. I would have continued with that project, but due to circumstances and finances I quit breeding not long after that.

Applegate does produce some of the best quality and most beautiful kingsnake morphs. Not just the GBK's. He is a respected and reputable breeder. Another person I know of that produces fantastic GBK's that are well established is Lee Abbott. Most people know him for his Okeetees, but his GBK's are amazing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google