CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Corn Snake Laws in New Jersey???

Old 04-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #11
Greeling
here in GA it was intended to keep people from collecting wild reptiles and damaging their populations, i guess NJ wants to do the same.

Old 04-03-2006, 04:30 PM   #12
Tyger9791
and then GA has rattlesnake roundups where they collect hundreds of rattlers and then kill them all at festivals every year! whoo whee!
but god forbid that someone collects a corn snake and keep it as a pet....

Old 04-03-2006, 05:01 PM   #13
MikeSaw23
I dont get the state laws more snakes are killed by getting hit by a car not from people taking them

AT LEAST THERE ISNT REALLY ANY CORN SNAKE LAWS!!!

Old 04-03-2006, 05:15 PM   #14
cowboyman13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger9791
and then GA has rattlesnake roundups where they collect hundreds of rattlers and then kill them all at festivals every year! whoo whee!
As a redneck who grew up in GA you reck'n i would of heard of this but its a new one on me. In 20+ years of being a GA resident i have never heard of or seen a rattlesnake round up, and if there is one i highly doubt that the state DNR would have participated or supported such an event. Hell in 20+ years of major outdoor activity i could count how many rattlers i have seen without taking my shoes off, And i am an avid outdoorsman who hikes, fishes, and have hunted quite a bit of Ga.

Now that said i don't agree with GA law which not only protects cornsnakes but every native nonvenomous reptile.

Here is what i have been able to find about NJ.

This link is to the NJ division of Fish and Wildlife and its in PDF covering
Possesion of Exotic and non-game wildlife PDF

Maybe that will get you started. I haven't found anything talking about red eyes and what not yet, but i will post a link if i do.

Old 04-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #15
Greeling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger9791
yeah while you can't keep a corn snake or box turtle it's perfectly legal to kill or keep native venomus snakes, i don't really get it either.

Old 04-03-2006, 05:30 PM   #16
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Ernie
What is the reasoning behind only allowing un-natural morphs of cornsnakes?
They don't want people to have wild caught corns because of a decline of them (loss of habitat from development mainly) and they prefer corn not to be breed corns in N.J. because a "normal" could be hatched.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:33 PM   #17
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSaw23
Well a lot of pet store in NJ sell every corn morph!!!

Do you have a name and number of this store?? Or town? I would like to check them out.

Old 04-04-2006, 08:49 AM   #18
Tyger9791

check it out cowboyman...
http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/n....jsp?id=h-2794

some states still decapitate the rattlers in front of spectators, i dont believe GA still does this...but they do round up the rattlers. and some hunters do use gasoline to drive them out of their burrows. and in some cases, they keep the rattlers for weeks even months without food until the event takes place.
Recently, there were ads on TV for a rattlesnake roundup in Whigham, GA.
here's another article it's from 1998 though, some of the practices may have changed since then...
http://www.wildclassroom.net/wildide...erroundup.html

Old 04-04-2006, 10:12 AM   #19
jzal8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennycorn
Do you have a name and number of this store?? Or town? I would like to check them out.

I too have seen normals and black eyed corn morphs sold at a select few pet stores. I wouldnt really every post them on a forum though, because I would never want to draw that kind of attention to a business i respect.

perhaps pm's could be exchanged. unfortunately, the last place i went to that definitly had them has since been closed, but maybe mikesaw can let you know. I too would be interested

Old 04-04-2006, 03:19 PM   #20
MikeSaw23
Yeah LennyCorn there is a place on Route 10 in Northern NJ it is called the Morris Sussex Pet Supply there have a nice selection of corns!

If you want I can give you the directions to it from where you live.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google