CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Gopher x Corn Hybrid

Old 08-14-2008, 12:19 AM   #11
FunkyRes
Cape gophers are extremely closely related to other gophers, and some consider them to be just another subspecies opposed to full species.

One thing to be careful of - I know from personal experience that the baja gopher snakes need different care than their northern cousins. They are not nearly as tolerant of hot weather, and can easily start a cycle of regurgitation if kept as warm as low 80s that can lead to the animals death. They are a mountain snake in the wild, so they like cooler temperatures than the US gophers.

I do not know how that would translate to their offspring if bred with a corn.

But given that the temperature range needed for cape gophers is too cool for corns and the temp range needed for corns is too warm for cape gophers, I really would personally recommend the cross - as the proper temp for the offspring may depend on the individual.

As far as what they are called, haven't a clue. I don't think there are enough of them for any trade name to be considered "established" - so if you do it, use whatever floats your boat.

Personally, the name "jet" corn sounds like it was coined by a 4th grader.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:20 AM   #12
FunkyRes
I really would personally recommend the cross

should be

I really would not personally recommend the cross

Old 08-14-2008, 06:48 AM   #13
KJUN
Old thread, I know, bit to both of you with the hybrid Pituophis/corn thingie:

I'm still very short on hybrid images for my Pituophis book. They are out there, but they just don't seem that popular. Would either of you two be interested in allowing me to use one of your images of your snake in the book. Full credit to the photographer, of course. If you are interested, I can email you detailed specs on minimum necessary photo resolution, quality, pose, etc. Thanks!

This goes out to anyone else with Pituophis hybrids, too.
KJ

Old 08-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #14
Jadie.Glitch
Wow, those pics are amazing!

I have been planning on doing a cross like this for a year now and I finally have my baby bull snake (found her in the middle of the road getting some sun, just like I had been waiting for).

I just gotta wait 'til the little booger grows up! I will be crossing her with an Abott's Okeetee... unless my little "she" turns into a "he" then I will be crossing him with a Classic, an Abott's Okeetee, and a Caramel. *kinda hoping this happens* ^_^

I am not completely experienced in "popping" but when I carefully tried, nothing came out. I just wish there was a reptile place around that I trusted to handle my snakes. It would take alot of the guess-work out...

I can't believe that he just GAVE you that snake! That's amazing... I'm definitely going to be extra nice to the breeders I talk to at the next reptile expo I go to, haha ^_^.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #15
Allison
Very cool thread. I absolutely love Gopher snakes, and to see a cross where kneaded scales are dominate to the corn is just incredible! Im going to have to look deeper into this hybrid.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:32 PM   #16
wldthng4u
Here is a pic of my new baby "turbo corn" (there is no real name for the bull snake/ sunglow corn cross)... Check them out and let me know what you think. If you are going to the Northern Berks Reptile Show in Hamburg, PA this weekend I will be carrying them with me... Might even be selling a few. I have one clutch from a bull snake and ghost corn as well.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #17
Jadie.Glitch
I don't see the pic wldthng4u... is it just my side??

Old 10-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #18
crocman
neither do i. theres just that little x surrounded by a box that continualy mocks me

Old 10-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #19
Jadie.Glitch
Haha, I don't even have that!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #20
crocman
strange indeed

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google