CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Corn Snakes vs Ball Pythons

Old 05-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
EtR_Bliss
Question Corn Snakes vs Ball Pythons

Okay... I know this is a Corn Snake forum, but I also know that many of you guys/gals have both Corns and BP's...

I am planning to get a snake in a month or two (I'm in the process of closing on a house tomorrow and then moving in after that yay), and I just can't decide between a Corn and a BP... I've been researching them both, and every time I read about BP's, I lean more towards BP's, and every time I read more on Corns, I lean more towards Corns...

If you guys could help me, please give me some honest opinions on Corns vs BP's... I know this is a Corn forum, so it might be a little biased, but hopefully I will get some un-biased opinions as well.

Mainly, I would like to know your opinions on their pluses and minuses...

Also, I would like to know:
-Which can be handled longer/more w/o stressing them out?
-Which are more prone to biting?
-Which can I let just crawl around on the couch/floor with supervision?
-Personality types... (what kind shows up more often in which snake)
-Anything else that would be good to know....

And yes, I do know about the technical parts, such as feeding problems with BP's, temp, humidity levels, and whatnot... But you can still mention them if you'd like... lol

Thanks for everyone's input

Old 05-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
kshannon
Maybe a stupid question, is this your first snake? I started off with a corn, they are easy to care for and most are easy going. I love BP's also, that is one of my latest snakes. He was rarely handled and is was very jumpy, he never tried biting.

I love them both, hard decision. I think corn's are easier to care for just for the fact you need a warm side and a cool side, BP's need it more humid than corns (corns I don't worry about the humidity). I am relatively new to owning snakes so the experts will go into more details.

I would start out with a corn if it your first snake, that is what I started out with, I got him at a show, he only cost me $10 (normal) but I wouldn't trade him for the world, since he is close to 2 now whenever I get off of work he comes out of hiding and climbs the glass on the door until I bring him out.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
EtR_Bliss
Cool

Thanks for your input. Your corn sounds awesome, greeting you whenever you come home And yes, this will be my first snake

Hmmm.... I wonder what LBoz posted up... LBoz deleted the post...

Old 05-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
SnakesRule1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtR_Bliss View Post
Ball Pythons are usually more prone to getting stressed out easily, so corns can be hanled much more, IMO.

Quote:
Both are usually calm, but you hear more stories of corns being agressive than Ball Pythons. Ball Pythons are rarely the mean ones.

Quote:
Corns can be very jumpy and they are really, really, fast. Ball Pythons are slow, most of the time. So, Ball Pythons.
Quote:
-Personality types... (what kind shows up more often in which snake)
As said before, corn snakes can be very jumpy and although they can be nice they can also be agressive. BPs are calm and are rarely agressive.
Quote:
-Anything else that would be good to know....
Ball Pythons are more picky when feeding, they can refuse food out of the blue, they can not accept a certain food item and so on. They can also refuse if they are stressed by something.

Overall, and in my opinion, I've had better luck with Ball Pythons, so them. They can be just as colourful as Corn Snakes (but with a bigger price tag) and they are much calmer.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
kshannon
I love all my snakes, but he holds a special place in my heart! I have a variety of different snakes. I do have 2 corns, I got both of them as hatchlings and they were flighty at first but with lots of handling, not enough to over stress them, they have become very calm. My brother has lots of corns and he only handles them to feed them and they are all flighty. None of them are bitey.

I also love my BP, he has come a long way from when I first got him he is a 06 hatchling that was just maintained by the breeder, he fed him live every 2 weeks and rarely if ever handled him. When I got him he would ball up and was extremely jerky, but I sucessfly switched him over to f/t, and he is becoming more relaxed when I handle him and I have only had him since January.

Too bad you can't get both!!!! I wouldn't want to chose between one or the other!

Old 05-29-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
mynamesrick
I think corns are a really good starter snake, easy to handle, most of the time they are good feeders, and their colors are amazing!

Then in a few weeks/months you will just have to give in to getting another snake, then you can get your ball python! thats exactly what happend to me!

Old 05-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
tricksterpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtR_Bliss View Post
Also, I would like to know:
It really depends on the animal. Some corns do not mind being held for away while others stress out. Same goes for ball pythons, but The 7 day holding period we give for a newly brought home corn, I have to add another 7 days for a ball. They seem to be more sensitive.

Quote:
I have seen mean corns and mean ball pythons. It happens, some snakes are like this, personalities are like people.
Quote:
Neither, its not good to let your pet crawl around, always keep an eye on it. Corns are faster than balls but I have seen balls move really fast. I prefer to hold my snakes unless they are over 6 feet, then I let them on the ground. Small snakes, its not a good idea.

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's input
No problem, but since this is your first snake, I recommend a corn instead. They are easier to care for and you rarely have the problems with them like a ball. I rarely have difficult feeders in corn snakes, ball pythons? well I own 7 and they all have given me hunger strike. Start off with the easier guy first, learn snake care from them and then maybe 6 months down the line, get a ball python.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:34 PM   #8
Voodoo
I actually started with a Pueblan milk snake. He was pretty calm.

Then, I moved onto corn snakes. I own two of them now. They are fierce eaters. One is more than happy to slither to my hand and come out of his viv at any time. The other rattles his tail and sometimes strikes at me until he realizes that I'm not trying to eat him. He's never bitten me though, and I doubt he ever will, as long as I remain patient with him.

Corns are really quite easy to care for compared to some other types of snakes.

I've only had my ball python for about a month, and she's already freaking me out. She handles well. She doesn't ball up much and never strikes or acts jumpy. However, she refuses to eat. She's only about 6 weeks old, so the biggest thing she could eat right now would be a mouse fuzzie or a small rat pup. I've tried both....and I've tried both live AND frozen/thawed. I've also tried frozen/thawed/brained. Yesterday, I bought a small live green anole and dropped it in her feeding viv with her. She has no interest in the lizard either. In fact, she actually nudged the anole with her "nose" and then curled up for a nap.

I guess my only next option is a vet visit, which makes me kick myself for not buying another corn snake instead of the ball python.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #9
kcaven
Thumbs up Corns All the Way! (Unbiased of course!)

Being a first time snake owner (I got my first snake MoJo a week ago tomorrow!) I completely agree with tricksterpup. I did a lot of research before I decide on a corn. I asked many differnt people their expert opinions and they all basically said the same thing as above. Think about it, corn snakes are from the US.. they are used to our climates, humidity, habitats etc... BP's are from Africa where the temps and climate, habitats are completely different...which do you think would be easier to duplicate? I am completely happy with my descision with getting a corn..in fact, I never thought I could love a snake this much!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
MichellesCreatures
I agree depends on the snake in question. I have Balls that are eating f/t food items and have from the start...Im even selling a few cause I got too many in trade last year. I think Balls are wonderful lap snakes, whereas a corn usually wants to go explore.
But even if a corn was to bite, its really nothing...kinda like a bunch of pinpricks. Now if an adult BP bites ya, well...alot more than pinpricks.
I've been bitten by almost every type of snake I keep over the years, so I can say from experience. I'd say corn first, BP later!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google