CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

My corn has been inactive for the past few days.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
gutterskump
My corn has been inactive for the past few days.

I've had her for a little over a month now and she's always come out of hiding at night. The past 4 nights, she hasn't. She still moves between hides, but she no longer burrows or climbs at night like she used to. I check on her about once a day and she's still responsive. I handled her for just a minute or two yesterday and today to get a good look at her, and she still climbs up my arms and whatnot. She's still alert.

I thought it may be that she's preparing to shed, but she doesn't look it. I know it's harder to tell with amels, but her eyes don't appear hazy. I haven't had her long enough to know her shed cycle, but I know that the last time she shed was September 22nd, so I think she should be shedding soon, no? I'm not sure of her age, but she's young. She's just under 2 feet long.

A couple of notable things:
- I fed her a fuzzy on Tuesday, November 1st. She had vomited in the past, so I dusted the fuzzy with Nutribac. That was 5 days ago and she hasn't pooped. She doesn't appear bloated.
- I got a new thermometer and discovered her warm side was too hot a week ago (about 90F x_x). I felt terrible about that. I immediately adjusted it to the proper temps. It's been a steady 85F on the warm side and 73-74F on the cool side since.

I tried to get a good pic of her in case anyone more experienced could tell if she's about to shed, but this is the best I could get:

Old 11-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #2
gutterskump
Ugh, picture link didn't work.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
gutterskump
Haha I give up. Here's a link to the photo:http://imgur.com/FbNU8CK

Old 11-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
Dragonling
I'm endlessly amused at how many people younger than me struggle with BBCode and image hosting. Just teasing!

Here ya go:

Belly could be a bit pinkish, definitely a good sign of shed in an amel. Most of my girls especially hold their poop for a looooong time until they shed.

(e) As a side note, she looks a bit big for fuzzies at this point to me, but I wouldn't know for sure without a current weight and possibly a size comparison. Mine that *appear* to be around the same size are on 8-10g hoppers.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #5
gutterskump
Hahah, thank you!

Old 11-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #6
gutterskump
Ah, that's really good to hear. Thank you.

Oh, really? The fuzzies are slightly wider than the thickest part of her body right now. I haven't weighed her yet.. I'll be sure to do that soon. If she is too big for fuzzies, should I wait to move up to hoppers since she vomited about two weeks ago?

Old 11-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #7
Dragonling
Like I said, it's easy to misjudge with photos, so she's probably just fine on fuzzies still. It also depends on the definition of "fuzzy" as different suppliers use different standards for labeling sizes. Regurges can be caused by just about anything. A few of my '16s seem particularly fussy about temperature changes, and when the apartment (thus the front of their tubs) gets too chilly at least one seems to puke up a bit of their meal. Our thermostat sucks, and the outside temps in Ohio this time of year are all over the place. :/

Old 11-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #8
Dragonling
Here's a photo comparison. This little boy is about to get his first fuzzy next feeding.

This guy looked closer in size to your guy, though definitely thicker. He had his 12th hopper meal two days ago (which lends a bit to his chunky appearance lol).

Old 11-06-2016, 11:09 PM   #9
gutterskump
Ah, those are both gorgeous! I really love the chunky one haha.

Well, thanks for the tip. I'll weigh her soon just to make sure I'm feeding her the right size of mice.

Also, mine JUST shed about 30 mins ago and seems to be acting normal now. Thanks for your help!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google