CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Hello from the Rocky Mountains of Colorado!

Old 02-18-2017, 11:25 PM   #1
Zenpai
Hello from the Rocky Mountains of Colorado!

I am a first-time snake owner looking to get my first corn relatively soon with my girlfriend once we're moved out next month. I have owned gargoyle and crested geckos in the past as my first reptiles. Now I'm moving off campus from University and I can finally get my own snake since I wasn't allowed as a child.

I'm a 21 year old psychology student who works in IT, and I've been very passionate about reptile keeping since I was a child (although never had my first gecko until I was 16). My goal is to have a dedicated reptile room in a house with my current girlfriend and raise up to 8 reptiles maximum (snakes, geckos, and a lizard).

What got everyone into the reptile keeping hobby? For me, it's the fascination of the animals themselves. Exothermic, naturalistic behavior, its like recreating your own little environment for something else to strive in that's relatively more maintenance than certain mammals. The sheer misinformation about them is what caused me to study them in the first place, starting out with frogs at the age of 6. My attention is now primarily snake keeping and not that much into amphibians, but I still respect them!

Old 02-19-2017, 09:07 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
I was first turned on to snakes when I was in the 7th grade, about 14 years old. I got to hold a 20 foot long Python along with 4 other students in a reptile show and demonstration that came to our school. It was the first time I ever held a snake.

I got my first snake when I was 17, a Boa Constrictor. She lived to be almost 24 years old.

I've also had a California King snake, Another Boa, a Ball Python (Royal Python) and currently I have a striped Corn Snake.

I'm almost 60 years old, and I've had a pet snake in some fashion ever since I was 17.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:14 AM   #3
Dragonling
A couple years ago I saw a cute little rough green snake at the Cincinnati Zoo and thought, "I wonder if people keep those as pets." I convinced the boyfriend to let me get one, but I got a corn cuz they come in a bajillion colors and were supposed to be the best beginner snake. Somehow that turned into a closet full and I am hopelessly obsessed. I am tempted to go back to school for genetics just so I can have the knowledge and resources on hand to further study mutations in captive reptiles.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:24 AM   #4
Complex-Genetics
For me it was going to reptile shows and seeing the mistreatment and neglect of some animals. I wasn't a big fan of reptiles before going. My girlfriend finally convinced me to go with her one day and I saw abunch of fascinating animals. I still didn't care for them as much as I do now but I remember my girlfriend being very upset with one breeder. He had a bunch of underweight and sick snakes he brought to the show. We left because it was to much for her. I returned a month later after doing some research on how to care for them and buying supplies. I bought 5 of them from that breeder. I took them to the vet and once they was all happy and healthy I surprised my girlfriend with them. I soon fell in love with them and I've had them ever since.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:53 AM   #5
backafter30
Welcome to the site Zenpai! Similar story here. Started in 4th grade, basically had my own zoo, then went on to other things (cars, girls). Then came back to the hobby 30 years later (backafter30) and kinda went nuts with it. I pm'd you about that Okeetee. Jim.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:12 PM   #6
Scrappyeddie77
I caught my first snake when I was 5 years old and it was a little ringneck snake. I have been catching snakes ever since. I am very lucky to live in Florida where we have snakes all over and we get to see them most of the year. I am out in the woods a lot and I have had a few scary times with them. The most recent time was last hunting season and I was getting out of my tree stand and I had a black racer crawl across my foot. I do think lizards are creepy with their legs but I will hold them and what not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google