CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Respiratory infection or shed

Old 03-25-2017, 05:17 PM   #1
SerpentLady4
Respiratory infection or shed

Good afternoon Sunday afternoon I acquired from Don of SMR a gorgeous young extreme okeetee male. His guarantee is they don't ship sick snakes or problem feeders. My young male Ajax was making clicking noises and he still is. I don't know if the sudden change in temperature (from being in the 80's in Texas to here in Illinois the around 40) triggered a respiratory infection there isn't any bubbles in the side of his mouth and no mucous in his mouth either, no open mouth breathing. When asked if he noticed my snake was in shed mode he said he shipped so many on Monday he wasn't looking. AJ hasn't shed yet and my vet won't be back till Wednesday to return my call. I am holding off on feeding till he is settled in so I will see if he eats on Thursday night. His inside of his mouth is blue which I was told was good. So is this a respiratory infection, a shed, or skin left on his nostrils from a previous shed he didn't get off

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 03-25-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
If the snake is acting normal otherwise, stop worrying and go to the vet on Wednesday or when you can.

I've never heard a snake make clicking noises during the shedding process. I don't know who told you that. Perhaps it's possible.

It's unlikely anyone on a website is going to be able to answer your question. Not being able to see your animal first hand, how do we know?

Old 03-25-2017, 07:44 PM   #3
SerpentLady4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
If the snake is acting normal otherwise, stop worrying and go to the vet on Wednesday or when you can.

I've never heard a snake make clicking noises during the shedding process. I don't know who told you that. Perhaps it's possible.

It's unlikely anyone on a website is going to be able to answer your question. Not being able to see your animal first hand, how do we know?

I think Don told me that with dead skin over his nostrils

Old 03-25-2017, 08:12 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
yes, but that would not necessarily be a current shed, that would most likely be from a previous shed. It does not necessarily mean he's about to shed anytime soon.

The shedding process is different from time to time but generally it goes something like this: 1st - the snake will seem to be Hiding more than usual. 2nd - the snake may refuse to eat, 3rd - you'll notice the skin seems dull and off color from normal, 4th - the eyes will get a cloudy milky look to them. If your snake is a normal with dark eyes they may look bluish in color. 5th - the skin will mysteriously clear up and seem normal again and the eyes will clear up. You might think the snake has already shed but there is no skin anywhere in the cage. 6th - then the snake actually sheds. The entire process from step one to the shed can take several weeks, although usually it's measured in days. If you handle your snake during this time, it can delay the shed process and make it take longer. Although that's not always true.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:30 PM   #5
SerpentLady4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
yes, but that would not necessarily be a current shed, that would most likely be from a previous shed. It does not necessarily mean he's about to shed anytime soon.

The shedding process is different from time to time but generally it goes something like this: 1st - the snake will seem to be Hiding more than usual. 2nd - the snake may refuse to eat, 3rd - you'll notice the skin seems dull and off color from normal, 4th - the eyes will get a cloudy milky look to them. If your snake is a normal with dark eyes they may look bluish in color. 5th - the skin will mysteriously clear up and seem normal again and the eyes will clear up. You might think the snake has already shed but there is no skin anywhere in the cage. 6th - then the snake actually sheds. The entire process from step one to the shed can take several weeks, although usually it's measured in days. If you handle your snake during this time, it can delay the shed process and make it take longer. Although that's not always true.

Well everything is normal looking, his eyes and color are normal

Old 03-29-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
rdoyle225
This is bps I have heard the clicking sound from skin in the nose. I would get him checked out anyway

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Old 03-30-2017, 12:06 AM   #7
SerpentLady4
My vet said if there is mucous and bubbles and open mouth breathing along with the him holding his head up

Old 03-30-2017, 01:59 AM   #8
rdoyle225
So is he in the clear?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Old 03-30-2017, 01:07 PM   #9
SerpentLady4
Yes he is in the clear

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google