• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Light Tent Tips

airenlow

hope is not a strategy
*Warning: Camera Illiterate*

I'm playing around with my new homemade light tent, but the pics are pretty bad. These were actually the first couple pics I took...it was all downhill from there. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

DSC_0775.jpg

DSC_0787-1.jpg

Are you post-processing them at all? Can you?

I'm not going to have any answers. But I can benefit from whoever knows!

Just cropping...

It's a little better after messing with the brightness, but I don't want people to think I'm playing with colors. Is that a legit concern?

DSC_0809-2.jpg

Well, the camera doesn't necessarily produce a photo that is identical to what your naked eye sees...

I'm color-correcting-illiterate so I'll be of no help here, BUT you are definitely on the right track with these photos! The last one you posted (I wanna say of the Amel but my corn morph knowledge is still being worked on lol) is a freakin gorgeous shot! Love the way the snake posed :)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Your ISO looks like it's too high. Take it off auto and put it on the lowest setting. It should fix the blurriness and graininess.

If you want your pictures to be cooler, you're going to need a cooler light. Find one that shine white instead of yellow, like a daylight bulb. Though, your white balance may be off, if it's on auto, try putting it on incandescent. If it's still warm, try gray carding it.

http://michaeltapesdesign.com/whibal.html

Invest in the above. I use it for all my indoor shots. I typically don't use it for outdoors as most of my outdoor photography is on the fly when field herping.

Before I go into any further depth, what's you camera setup? Are we doing point-n-shoot or are we talking a digital SLR with interchangeable lenses?

The above tip seems a good one, but a cheaper option is to get a grey card (I believe it's 60% grey or something, not sure). I use this for my photos and it works pretty well :)

Just cropping...

It's a little better after messing with the brightness, but I don't want people to think I'm playing with colors. Is that a legit concern?

DSC_0809-2.jpg

Yes, fiddling with the colors in a photo editing program is a concern. Something I NEVER do. Well, not any more. So you fiddle with the color and it looks great on your screen, then you go to a friend's computer and on their monitor the pics are -sometimes- all sorts of messed up.

Is your camera set on Macro? You can always crop / re-size afterwards.

Is the lighting source within 2 feet of the subject? Try moving it even closer if necessary / possible. Is the lightbulb(s) white white light wavelength, or yellow lwngth, or another color? I've been thru a messload of lightbulbs, and what works well with one camera may not work well with another camera. More hair pulling.

Oh geeze I just realized this is a thread from 2012. Well, hopefully you've figured out some of this by now. ;)

Back