CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DIY foliage decor for the viv

Old 09-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
texsnake
DIY foliage decor for the viv

My local craft store periodically has a 50% off greenery and foliage sale and I thought it would be neat to try and make some decor for my corn's viv. I'm sure I'm not the first person on here to do this, and I have a couple questions that I'm hoping could be answered here.

1) Are there any materials (like certain plastics and such) that I should steer clear of when selecting which foliage pieces to buy?

2) Does anyone have any advice on how to anchor the foliage? I thought about sticking the stems into Styrofoam blocks but I'm not sure if that would be a heavy enough material to keep the plant from falling over, or if Styrofoam is bad to have in the viv in the first place.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:08 AM   #2
Hikari
I use a lot of craft store plants in my viv and haven't had any problems so far. Some things you'll want to watch out for are any exposed wire. Make sure the flowers won't come off and expose any pokey bits. Cut off any solid loops (some garlands have them to help with hanging). Also keep in mind the fabric floral is a little more time consuming to clean, but will also look really nice, so you'll just have to choose your battles. I have several fabric plants along with some plastic ones as well. Wash them well before putting them in the viv too, of course.

As for anchoring it in, I haven't done that yet (I'm lazy and just lay the plants on their sides, lol). I'd say though, if the plant is small enough (or your viv big enough), you could use a small pot filled with pebbles (real or glass) or maybe use hot glue or silicone to attach it to some decor (or just wedge it in someplace). I'd be weary of floral foam, the rough stuff tends to rub off into little dusty bits, and the other stuff turns brown after a while.

Hope that helps!

Old 10-01-2016, 06:19 PM   #3
texsnake
Yes it does! It answered every question I had! Thank you I have some decision making to do now.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:10 PM   #4
zakdat
I saw some neat ideas today at a fish store. They had pieces of driftwood with small plants hot glued down in the crevices. It looked great and gave me some ideas for future projects with my snake's vivarium.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y330-U05 using Tapatalk

Old 10-01-2016, 09:14 PM   #5
zakdat
Oh, and I've seen people do the styrofoam base with plants for leopard geckos. That person covered the styrofoam with grout to make it heavier, added some acrylic paint details and sealed it with modge podge. If you look up the Lizard Landscapes website, they have great instructions for all sorts of projects.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:30 PM   #6
texsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakdat View Post
Oh, and I've seen people do the styrofoam base with plants for leopard geckos. That person covered the styrofoam with grout to make it heavier, added some acrylic paint details and sealed it with modge podge. If you look up the Lizard Landscapes website, they have great instructions for all sorts of projects.

Covering the styrofoam with grout is a good idea, I'll have to look into it. Thanks!

Old 10-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #7
DollysMom
I know one thing that didn't work. I tried hot glueing fish pebbles together to make a base for my plants. It didn't work. The stones pop right off of the hot glue.

Hot glueing stems into holes drilled into wood should work fine. I have a manufactured plastic plant like that in my one viv.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google