CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

How many times should I handle my 10 week old corn snake

Old 12-15-2016, 06:27 AM   #1
Patmart
How many times should I handle my 10 week old corn snake

I am a new owner should I handle my 10 week old corn o lot how often?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 12-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
smale492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmart View Post
I am a new owner should I handle my 10 week old corn o lot how often?

To be honest I would not be handling it at all besides maybe to take it out to feed it.

I got a new born baby this August, and I have made it a point not to hold it (or hold it very little) to make sure it still keeps good eating habits. Babies can be super picky, so I would minimize the handling till its a bit older. I personally am waiting till his 3rd shed with me so I know everything is going swimmingly with my boy.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #3
OregonSnake
I usually hold mine quite a bit when they're babies and haven't had any problems. I give mine a week of no-handling right after I get them to settle in and go from there. Just remember not to hold it until 48 hours after its last meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-19-2016, 09:53 AM   #4
Patmart
Thank you I do hold him/ her most day but like you said not after a feed
I have had him for 4 weeks but he has not shed ? He has fed 3 times
Pat

Old 12-19-2016, 11:33 AM   #5
Dragonling
If you're worried about your little one getting used to being held and being tame when it's larger, you're probably doing just fine. I have 15 juveniles under 50g (though not for long...some are getting big!) so it's tough to give them all much attention outside of cleaning and the occasional quick weigh-in. Most seem to be getting used to handling regardless of how often I hold them, and it seems like the larger they are the more they tolerate being held.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
Patmart
Thank you my little man don't mind me holding him . My concern is he has not shed yet I don't know how often he should shed ?
Pat

Old 12-19-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
Dragonling
Sheds can be anywhere from every 3 weeks for tiny fast-growing babies to 2-3 months for adults. Some of it probably depends on genetics, but the biggest factors tend to be growth and general scale maintenance. I have a youngster that seems to take forever to shed, while my two phet clutches seem to be constantly in shed. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #8
Patmart
Thank you that's has put my mind at rest . He is growing
Pat

Old 01-26-2017, 11:37 AM   #9
Patmart
What age do you think I should put my amel corn snake in his big viv
He is 26g now

Old 01-26-2017, 01:06 PM   #10
Scrappyeddie77
Here is a few pics of my little babies shed cycles and I know they are all different but I have my little ones on a feeding schedule and they all still don't shed at the same time go figure

Just info for you

And you can put your little one in a bigger viv any time you want just remember that the smaller the snake the hard it is to find in a bigger viv

There is only a few things that really affect the snake is temps and stress but you can effect both but the temps are very important and the stress you can help with hides
I have been very lucky with my babies I use thermostats to keep the temps good but some have luck with out them I like the set it and check it once a day approach
I do handle them a lot but I think they like it now if I skip a day I get mean looks from them lol
Always wait to handle them after a feeding no exceptions there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google