CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Cloudy eye

Old 01-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #11
esreivko
Hey thanks
That sounds alot like what's going on here. Hopefully it'll clear up ok with some treatment. I've made a point to not do any feeding until after seeing vet. I'm glad I can go in there with some ideas of what it could be. I'm just nervous about waiting till Wednesday. Hopefully no other ailments from its time as a street urchin! Appreciate the research

Old 01-30-2017, 12:08 PM   #12
Scrappyeddie77
I hope everything works out for this snake
I do wonder what hets this little snake has it looks normal but if I remember the location of corns naturally does not go into Michigan. So that would make me think that this is an escape or a release and with the eye issue I would lean towards release just because it seems like nowadays people are always looking for the easy way out.

I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR STEPPING UP TO THE PLATE AND HITTING THIS ONE OUT OF THE PARK.

I do think the world needs more people like you.
Thank you again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-30-2017, 07:56 PM   #13
esreivko
Hey eddie
You are very kind to say those things but I think you are giving me too much credit.
I've seen quite a few snakes in my time outdoors fishing and hiking and none of them have been corn snakes. Copper bellies, blue racers, garters, massasauga etc. From what I've read since I found Juju they are native to South and central US. I am leaning towards release as well, there isn't any housing near where I found him/her and I don't see a snake getting very far in Temps below freezing. Humans can be quite cruel. Forest Gump was right in guess. Stupid is as stupid does.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:52 AM   #14
esreivko
Update

We saw the vet today. Juju is a little underweight but other than that and the eye everything else seems to be ok. The vet put contrast in the eye to look for mechanical injury and there was none. She also took a swab of the eye. She thinks it's infected and gave me eye drops to give every 12 hrs. The eye seems to be bulging less the last couple days so hopefully with that and the drops it will get better.
Really glad that Juju is fairly healthy overall.
I was wondering approximate age @ 3ft long. Also wondering gender

Old 02-02-2017, 06:13 AM   #15
Nanci
Great news!!!

To guess the sex, we'd need views of the tail and the adjoining couple inches of body, with the tail in a straight position, from below and from the side. As a rule of thumb, not a guarantee, males will have a longer tail, with a wider base, to store the hemipenes organ. The female tail is relatively shorter, and tapers quickly right after the vent.

To determine the sex, the snake would need to be probed by someone who knows how to do that.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:34 AM   #16
DollysMom
I'm so glad that Juju is overall in good shape and that you have drops for the eye. There is no way to tell the age. If you have a follow up at the vet you can ask to have Juju probed.

As to age, there is no way to know. At three feet she could be 1 year to ? Did you get a weight at the vets? It should be in grams and is often printed on the report/invoice they give you from the appointment. She could be a smallish adult or a largish youngster.

I'm so glad you found Juju and saved her. You are the best!

Old 02-02-2017, 02:21 PM   #17
Dragonling
Do eyedrops even do anything with the spectacle in the way?

Old 02-02-2017, 05:03 PM   #18
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Do eyedrops even do anything with the spectacle in the way?
I was wondering about that, too. The spectacle must be permeable, though, don't you think? The eyeball needs oxygen??

When I had Fred who had the retained spectacle, he also had a super-inflamed vein in his roof of his mouth, and I had to give him drops in his mouth, up into the opening up in the top, to get up to I thought his eye...

But I also put ointment on the outside. But that was mostly to moisturize the spectacle.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:08 PM   #19
Nanci
Fred's eye problem

So poor Fred got drops everywhere- eye, nares, roof of mouth.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:28 PM   #20
esreivko
Juju is 3ft and 150g currently but should be bulking up soon

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google