CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Non-Lethal Venomous snakes?

Old 06-17-2006, 02:47 AM   #1
Mike55520
Non-Lethal Venomous snakes?

im currently helping a friend with some assignment concerning snakes, part of his assignment is to list a few snakes that are venomous but not capable of killing a full grown healthy human.preferably ones within the western united states ( were in Colorado, you see)

Old 06-17-2006, 03:11 AM   #2
Joejr14
I have no idea about out west, but on the east coast...

Copperheads have fairly weak venom. I don't believe they pose THAT much of a threat to humans if bitten, but of course with children and the elderly...

Pygmy rattlesnakes don't have an extremely potent venom either. That and their small size makes it difficult for them to bring a person down.

I think out west that the sidewinder isn't that bad. Of course, I'm just trying to remember what I've heard and read, so I'm not 100% sure. Would be worthwhile to look it up.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
Tula_Montage
Western Hognose...
Maybe do a little research on it as im not 100% sure.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
Cflaguy
Copperheads...

are a good choice. They get as far as Arkansas or maybe a little further. The Arizona Ridge-nose Rattlesnake is a handsome little devil.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
stangs13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage
Western Hognose...
Maybe do a little research on it as im not 100% sure.
GIVE a REALY painfully bite, not even as painfull as a copperhead!!

or so ive heard...

Old 06-17-2006, 11:03 AM   #6
stangs13
Western Hognoses that is .......

Old 06-17-2006, 11:26 AM   #7
mbdorfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangs13
GIVE a REALY painfully bite, not even as painfull as a copperhead!!

or so ive heard...
It can be rather unpleasant

http://www.herpnet.net/bite/

Old 06-17-2006, 04:27 PM   #8
desertanimal
Have him search for anything that's rear-fanged. Most of those can't do much harm to humans.

Old 06-17-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
BeckyG
Copperheads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cflaguy
are a good choice. They get as far as Arkansas or maybe a little further.
They are plentiful in Texas, in three subspecies no less. Those would be the Southern Copperhead, Broadbanded Copperhead, and Trans-Pecos Copperhead. Trans-pecos are found in West Texas, and could possibly be found in New Mexico as well.

Old 06-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #10
lefty_mussolini
The Lyre Snake is a rear fanged snake that inhabits the Western U.S.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google