• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tool to put holes in Sterilite?

DLena

Corns are goram shiny!
Gypsy, my new adult will only eat in a separate container, covered with a blanket. I've been putting her in a 26 gal tote I had laying around, and waiting for her to sneak out from under the blanket to put her back in her viv. Didn't lid it because it doesn't have holes. I need to put holes in it. How many? Location? What tool to use. I don't want to break the bin.

it's just plastic. If you were strong enough, you could probably poke an ice pick through it. I personally would use a Power Drill, but then I already own one. I've heard of people using Soldering irons as well. Just get it good and hot and it will slide like butter. It will make a little smoke and stink a bit, but if you're careful it should be ok.

I'd keep the holes fairly small, 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch diameter, and then place a row of them all the way around the tank maybe about 2 inches apart and mid way up.

Thanks, Karl. I have a power drill, so I'll do that to avoid those toxic fumes and the cost of a soldering iron.
...I teach HS kids. I'm not allowed to have an ice pick...haha. 😬

The problem with using a drill, though, is you can get sharp edges, or even cracks (which can cut snakes' tongues.) I'd stick to a soldering iron, and get a short heavy duty extension cord so you can get outside with it.

I think I paid less than $10 for my soldering iron. I just use it outside, works for poking lots of very smooth holes in tubs very quickly.

I have used both initially .... but as said ... drill makes holes with burs and if push too hard in attempt to expedite will crack. Some drills/drill bits will do less damage and not bur as much but I switched quickly to a soldering iron and never looked back ... I do use it outside due to smoke and smell.

Thank you for the suggestions. I just snagged a soldering iron and will give it a go tomorrow, in the garage.

Uh oh! I just used a soldering iron to make holes in 8 bins for my new rack....I did it in the house....and lived! Hopefully no permanent damage done! Be careful. Mine gets crazy hot!

You're very funny! Did you do the holes just along the upper end,nor also around the middle. I was going to put them both places.

When I was drilling zillions of holes in rigid plastic shoe box and sweater box tops, I found that I got the best results out of using a two flute end mill bit. Of course, I was using a drill press, too, so that might make a difference using a flat cutting bit. Slow drilling speed worked better than a fast speed.

I had made up a template to mark holes on one inch centers on the tops.

But even with the holes in the lids, it was tough to try to shed the humidity in those boxes if you had a snake that insisted in spilling the water dish regularly. With those malcontents, I had to drill holes into the sides of the boxes to help keep it reasonably dry inside. But not so low on the sides so that water could leak out.

Gypsy's not living in it, it's for feeding purposes only, so humidity won't become an issue. She refuses to eat in her viv. She's a "take me out to dinner" kind of gal.

But even with the holes in the lids, it was tough to try to shed the humidity in those boxes if you had a snake that insisted in spilling the water dish regularly. With those malcontents, I had to drill holes into the sides of the boxes to help keep it reasonably dry inside. But not so low on the sides so that water could leak out.

I have one of those (Milky Milksnake). I put his water bowl in a 9" deli, with two 3" diameter holes in the lid; one over the bowl, one outside the bowl. It works really well!

I do three rows of holes around the top, about 1.5" in width (the band of holes) varying from .5 to 1.0 " apart. When I first started doing it, there were more holes. Now if I have to do 16 at a time, there are less holes :)

A drill or soldering iron will work. The only issue I've had with drilling is how rough it is but sandpaper can remove that and cracking if you don't take it slow. Walmart carries soldering irons for 7 to 10 bucks and will leave a nice smooth hole.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Now here's a related question...I'm attempting to make lay boxes, but have no idea how to punch out large smooth hole in 6 quart tubs. Any tips there?

If you're using something like Sterilite or Rubbermaid 6 quart tubs, you can still use a soldering iron to punch a large hole. Just go slow to keep the iron tip hot enough to melt. The other option is picking up a small diameter hole saw for a drill. Either way, I usually make about 1.75-2 inch wide holes for my lay boxes, placed in the lid so momma snake pushes the least amount of moisten substrate out.

I picked up a soldering iron from Walmart for $10. I love making holes! It's actually very relaxing. The fumes aren't bad at all, so I do it while watching tv, usually Lucifer or Big Bang Theory... I made a feeding bin for Pernix and Walter, too, but I did the holes in flower designs! Lol.

I'm sure this has been mentioned 1000 times... But do them with either a cheap soldering iron... or heat up a drill bit quickly with a butane lighter and knock out about 4 holes and heat it back up real quick again.

Back