• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

The First Herps of the Year

tspuckler

With temperatures hitting the mid-60s today, I decided to go outside and take a look around. Though warm, there were still patches of snow on the ground and many areas of standing water were still frozen.

spring_9523_zps2692d43f.jpg

As I hiked, I could hear Spring Peepers calling off in the distance, but there calls were scattered and sporadic. The first herp of 2013 was a much bigger frog than a Spring Peeper - American Bullfrog.

spring_9529_zps86213af2.jpg

In the same area while looking through the underbrush, I spotted my first reptile of the year - Midland Painted Turtle. I could hear lone Spring Peepers calling off in the distance, but these herps were right in front of me, so I photographed them.

spring_9503_zpsc28244a7.jpg

I wasn't the only one herping today - Red-tailed Hawk.

spring_9463_zpsa165d303.jpg

Here's male a Midland Painted Turtle courting a female. To express his affections, he scratches her cheeks with his extra-long front fingernails.

spring_9533_zps52bc61cf.jpg

She did not seem impressed with his technique.

spring_9532_zpsa0c85589.jpg

These Ground Beetles are cool. They have big jaws and "play dead" by freezing in this position when they feel that they're in danger.

spring_9553_zps103eec09.jpg

Soon it began getting dark. I decided to track down one of those Spring Peepers that I'd been hearing throughout the day. Finding one can be tricky, they are very small and tend to stop calling as they are approached. But persistence paid off.

spring050_zps978f94a6.jpg

Not a bad outing for January 12th in the Greater Cleveland area!

Great pics - thanks for sharing. It was in the mid 70s in South Alabama today and we went out to try our luck at some herping but did not find anything.

cool pics! :) all of our local herps are confused-it was 70 yesterday,in the 40's today..gotta' love SE Texas weather lol..anyway,I'm excited to get some more pics of my local herps this spring :)

If you would like to see what all I've taken pics of so far you can check out this album link,there are snakes,frogs,turtles,lizards,etc. a little bit of everything-all taken near my house

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1426440496226.2059898.1089206290&type=1&l=34fd786425

Awesome pics! Jan's been pretty nice up here too. Supposed to be above freezing the next few days. Won't see any wild herps until end of April or May.

Beautiful pics! I do miss the midwest sometimes, especially when the creatures start to come out, and to hear the "peepers" starting to find their voices.

Here in Phoenix my only find was a baby white-tail (no, they are NOT all jackrabbits here!) scared in the road (I rolled my wheels over her so she was under the car, not hurt), I got out and moved her over under some bushes to hopefully not be coyote food!

I ALWAYS look forward to your pics in this forum Tim, thank you for sharing them :cheers:

Peepers are real hard to get good pics of. Like Tim said they tend to go silent when you approach and they are definitely "very small" ;)

Lovely pictures indeed. You remind me of my cousin Josh who used to take me out herping when I was younger. He would take me on adventures looking for snake eggs, turtles, frogs, it really excited him more than it did me at the time, but I enjoyed the hunt as it always seemed to be some sort of adventure we were on. The hawk on the other hand reminds me of my chickens as they keeps me hatching eggs to replace the many birds they take off with. Free ranging is not without its problems, but I think its more ethical than keeping them locked up in cages where they can't forage. Thanks for sharing in your adventure with us as it does bring up fond memories and makes we want to get out their with my littlest one before she gets misses out on any more adventures. The nice part about going out on hikes such as this is it doesn't cost anything and the experience is so rewarding.

If you would like to see what all I've taken pics of so far you can check out this album link,there are snakes,frogs,turtles,lizards,etc. a little bit of everything-all taken near my house

That is some very nice photography. I especially like the Green Treefrog. You are very lucky to have Broad Banded Watersnakes living near you. I consider them to be particularly attractive..for a watersnake. I got two captive bred BB Watersnakes last year and am currently raising them.

Tim

That is some very nice photography. I especially like the Green Treefrog. You are very lucky to have Broad Banded Watersnakes living near you. I consider them to be particularly attractive..for a watersnake. I got two captive bred BB Watersnakes last year and am currently raising them.

Tim

Thank you :) We counted 12 or 13 Tree frogs by our front door at one time not long ago :) I think the Broad Bands are so pretty -we had one which had a lot of red on it living in our pond for a while,but after the drought we haven't seen as many..they're taking their time moving back in-I was shocked when that giant snapper was still there-thought for sure he would've went to the canal :)

Back