CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Frozen mice?

Old 01-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
Lesley1960
Frozen mice?

Hi, I hope this doesn't sound a silly question, but how long can you freeze mice for? I know some people feel that once something is frozen it's ok for a very long time. I personally don't like to keep any human food frozen for much longer than 3 months, so am doing the same for my corn. Am I being a bit over the top?

Old 01-01-2015, 02:30 PM   #2
Zombiegirl
I'm not sure "exact" lengths of time, but I keep most of my mice/rats in my big chest freezers that way they're not being exposed to *open/close/open/close* that normal fridge freezers experience. I feed my littles more often so those mice are in the fridge freezer, but I've noticed that all of the mice/rats tend to keep pretty well in the deep freeze.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
Lesley1960
Yes I do keep in chest freezer which is not used daily. I buy 6 at a time and he is fed one large mouse every 2 weeks so they last 12 weeks. I would like to buy more but worried they'll spoil and I definitely don't want to give him bad food.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
smigon
I would go ahead and buy more if it is cost effective. I have mice in my freezer that I use a Ziploc sealer with so they are "vacuum packed", and are over 6 months old.

If your freezer ever fails and the temps are warm enough to thaw the mice, then they are no good and I would toss them. Otherwise they are good to go, I have had a couple with a bit of frostbite on them but the snakes never minded.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
Afrederi
So long as they are kept frozen, they won't "spoil" in the sense of decomposition. The bacteria and enzymes will either be dead or inhibited. When we talk about food "spoiling" in the freezer, we are usually talking about damage in the texture and taste of the food which makes it unpleasant to eat, but doesn't mean you'll get sick doing so.

The issus with keeping any food for long periods of time in the freezer is oxidation and dehydration, freezer burn, both or which are caused by exposure to air. Oxidation is less of an issue here (talking about whole animals not steaks), but things in the freezer will slowly lose moisture to the surrounding air.

To prevent dehydration, and the food from becoming the worst kind of meat jerky, keep food in SEALED packages with LITTLE AIR (either pushed out, or vacuum sealed if you're fancy) and REDUCE EXPOSURE to new air (don't open and reseal it a bunch of times).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google