CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Rabbit Pinks

Old 03-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #1
Aozora
Rabbit Pinks

I have a small farm and I raise quail, rabbits, and chickens. I know all of these can be fed to corn snakes, and I have previously put down chicks with carbon dioxide and frozen them for snake use.

I have a dwarf rabbit due to give birth to kits on 3/14. I specifically bred her to produce kits for my snakes to eat, and as a dwarf rabbit they should be the right size for corns. How should I put down the kits? I know mice and rat pinks can be put down by sticking them in the freezer, but I'm not sure if the same would also work for rabbits since they're not rodents. Should I put them down with carbon dioxide as well?

Old 03-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
Rigby & Marcy
Hemoglobin is slightly different in newborns, which is why they are resistant to CO2 and also suffocation. I think it would be the same for rabbits, because lagomorphs are very close to rodents physiologically. I have never put down rabbits. I would probably go with freezing, but I don't know if it takes longer with their larger mass.

I'm always concerned with the most humane ways and I'm glad I no longer have any snakes on pinks because freezing never quite sat right. :/

Old 03-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
nancyg
I remember someone describing his snake's reaction to feeding chicks (he had them for his cats?) apparently the snakes rushed the door at feeding time...

Are there any baby chicks/quail chicks small enough to feed to hatchlings? I had some problems with a few hatchlings that did NOT want to eat mice pinks at first... Live pinks got most of them eating. but I had a hold out.
I wonder if a bird chick might trigger a better feeding response (even FT) and then switch over to mice after they get a bit more solid.

Nancyg

Old 03-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
Aozora
Yeah, chicks cause very strong feeding responses in snakes in my experience. I had my tamest, sweetest male turn all "I r wild snake" and bite me a few times in feeding response as I was putting him back after feeding him quail chicks.

Hatchlings are far too small to eat even the tiniest quail chick. I think even finch chicks would be too large. It might not be a bad idea to try to scent mice with chicks, though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google