• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

how long you nuke frozen mice?

Please tell me you're joking.................................................you absolutely do NOT want to nuke mice...you want to thaw them in hot tap water...if you are joking, kudos

I microwave my mice in a mug of water. It depends on the size and quantity of the mice, but pinkies are usually good after about 30 to 45 seconds and larger mice usually take about a minute. The larger mice will still have to sit in the hot water to thaw a bit.

Definitely feel the mouse before you feed your snake to make sure it's not too hot or still frozen in the middle.

I also only use one specific mug for my mice and I keep it with my reptile supplies, so there's never any confusion!

OMG don't! they explode!! (don't ask how I know)
I do something similar to Hypnoctopus, I have a measuring cup that I microwave the water in and then drop pinkies in to heat them up..
For my adults, I heat up the water and pour it into a larger container (gladware) and then float the mice in a smaller container inside it to warm them up (no sopping wet mice)
I have found my adults will take a room temperature thawed mouse, but I think it's better to have it closer to a 'live' temperature, and that's how I did it from the beginning with my first two snakes

Hot tap water works just fine. Pinkies are like a minute or two, the largest rats might be a couple of hours. Then dry them off a bit and they're good to go... delicious (I assume).

Many years ago I did nuke a mouse, he didn't explode per say but he did pop and the inside oozed out... I have to admit I just feed mine room temp... my guys don't care apparently...

We always nuke water for a minute, put the mouse underwater in a sandwich baggie. I always take the mouse out (in the bag), dry the bag and feel the mouse between my fingers for a few to ensure it is warm and thawed.

It takes forever for the tap to get hot in my kitchen. So I just put cold water in a bowl and heat it in the microwave for a minute. I then put the mice in and let them sit. I've never timed it. I just check every few minutes to see if they feel warm. Sometimes with the bigger mice the water will get cold. I just drain the water and warm up some more.

If you don't want wet mice you can put them in a plastic baggie first.

Nuke the mice. That's funny. No need to. Just use hot tap water. It doesn't take long.

I used to nuke the tap water but I must have some sort of super-microwave as the water would get so hot the mice would explode in the mug.....sooooo, I do hot tap water (as hot as it will go won't get near what the microwave did) and haven't had exploding mice since.

I always just used hot tap water. Let the mouse soak for a few minutes then change the water and repeat.

I toss mine on the counter for an hour or 2. Then when they are thawed out I drop em in hot tap water for a few secs to warm them up for piece of mind if nothing else

The one time I tried to feed one thawed in the microwave my corn didn't take it. I've gone hot water since and had no issues.

??????????????

Hey Shane, you still here??????????????????????????? Need some feedback.

Fun thread. I set mine in cold water pyrex bowl to thaw (takes awhile depending on size) sometimes if big prey it goes in the fridge and then I go to work at the care factory for awhile, and later run hot tap water over them. As far as nuking goes, and I really have NO reason or theory to offer for this, but sometimes there's reluctant feeding babies, and I try all the other options, but they want to be locked up in a little deli cup with a nuke-o-lated pinkie--- so those few pinkies get wrapped up in a wet paper towel, so WHEN they explode, which some will, inevitably, and yes, wrap them in a wet paper towel so the popcorn later don't taste curious... and then just nuke em for a couple seconds... and then for a couple more seconds if necessary...if u nuke em too much all at once, well, it's difficult to wring out the paper towel to get the meal down their gullet...
I did the 'sticke m in a cup with water' thing a couple of times but I prefer the wrapped in a wet paper towl method. Most of my corns will take a room temp thawed meal and those that don't (one in 77) get a special note on their viv (they're arranged in the snake rooms according to prey size and feeding glitches)...anyways hope this was helpful in some way. Jeesh, I bet the dubia roach chatboards don't have these issues.

Many roads to a single destination. Lots of options here. Let us know how that works out ;)

so those few pinkies get wrapped up in a wet paper towel, so WHEN they explode, which some will, inevitably, and yes, wrap them in a wet paper towel so the popcorn later don't taste curious...

:puke02: Oh, uh, yeah, Dave, about our movie date at your house with the popcorn next week... uh, I have to wash my snake's hair. Yeah, that's it. :bird:

Back