CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

How do you feed your snake

Old 01-17-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
dragons24
Post How do you feed your snake

hi! i have just started and i wanted to know the best way to feed your snake.

-Cassie

If you want to know more read "The Snake Noob's Introduction"

Old 01-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #2
crazyd82
We feed our baby corn in the box that we brought him home in from petco. We put him in and then drop in a live pinky (he refuses f/t), close the box and leave home be for an hour or so.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
Candy001
We are new to this too. My daughter is 8 nod has wanted a corn snake for awhile too.

We out our corn in a plastic critter cage to feed. We thaw the mouse in warm/hot water by placing the frozen mouse in a plastic baggy and then into the water. Once thawed, I use some tongs to dangle in front of our snake. She has been easy to feed in the 3 weeks we've had her. She goes for the mouse immediately if I put a cut in the mouse skin.... Seems to make it smelly.

Not sure what others do but that is working for us. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:02 PM   #4
hypnoctopus
All of my snakes eat frozen thawed mice, so I heat up the mice in hot water, put the snakes in each of their small feeding containers, and drop the mouse in. Sometimes I dangle the mouse in front of them with tongs and they will strike and coil around it.

Because your baby is new, I would feed him in the evening in a small container. Leave him alone with it in a nice dark, quiet place for about an hour without peeking. Baby corn snakes are often shy because they are prey to a lot of other animals in the wild. So for the first few feedings with you, he will probably want to feel completely alone and safe before he eats.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #5
Rigby & Marcy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy001 View Post
We out our corn in a plastic critter cage to feed. We thaw the mouse in warm/hot water by placing the frozen mouse in a plastic baggy and then into the water. Once thawed, I use some tongs to dangle in front of our snake. She has been easy to feed in the 3 weeks we've had her. She goes for the mouse immediately if I put a cut in the mouse skin.... Seems to make it smelly.
That sounds just fine to me!

Old 01-18-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
dragons24
Thanks for the advice! It's really helpful right now because I am going to feed him tonight.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:14 PM   #7
GabbieJade
Mine eat F/T as well...I throw them on the counter/sink for a couple hours to thaw, then dip them in hot tap water for a couple seconds each. Pit them on little glass feed dishes and set it in their viv. Not had 1 strike at me yet.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:10 PM   #8
snakegirl96
We feed our babies in tubs outside their cage and my adult in a bag

Old 01-20-2015, 06:15 AM   #9
smigon
In the viv. The adults get a mouse dangled by its tail in front of them doing the "zombie mouse dance" and they strike and I tug gently for a couple of seconds so they think it is alive and they coil and roll around with their prey. Very cute.

The babies get a pinky on a deli lid in the viv, I angle their nose at it, they usually latch right on but if not they know where it is when they are ready.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:16 AM   #10
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyd82 View Post
We feed our baby corn in the box that we brought him home in from petco. We put him in and then drop in a live pinky (he refuses f/t), close the box and leave home be for an hour or so.
Does he always refuse the F/T? Have you tried boiling/braining it?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google