• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Our 1st litter of mice.

crazyd82

Just got our first litter of mice yesterday. Looks like 17 babies. 5 went straight to our 2 corns. Going to let a few grow up into adults. We still have one more pregnant female that we are waiting to go. It seems that both females are taking care of the one litter.

Congrats! Moms will help each other out, yes. In some of my litters even the dad nests with the babies and cares for them.

Not feeling guilty. Thats what they were breed for. The ones that get to grow up will either be sold or euthanized and froze to be used as feeders later on. A lucky few will live to be breeders themselves. I may different later though after watching them grow up.

It's never bothered me all that much. I have completely different compartments in my brain for how adorable hoppers are, and how many of them are in my freezer. My husband says I'd make a great farm wife. :p

Our 2nd female finally had her babies today. 21little pinkies. The 7 left from the other litter will now be allowed to grow up into adults.

I was a farm girl... One of my favorite wild rabbits that I tamed became stew... When my beloved dog got sick beyond financial help the hunter next door came and put her down... I think that may be why I have such issues with this.. my dad thought we had three hens and a rooster, showed up being 4 rosters, they turned into sup.. yeah no... can't do it just can't...

besides I hate the smell, thank God for buying frozen... and I am not saying there is anythign wrong with what you are doing I just never could in a million years..

Unless I am starving I would not be able to put an animal down unless it was suffering..

Well made the mistake of leaving all the babies from the 2 litters together and we lost all but 7 of the new pinks and they were feed off. Not making that mistake again. Getting smaller tubs set up for nursing females.

I haven't found that leaving two litters together makes much difference. My mice seem to eat a few babies after a few days regardless of whether there are older babies in the nest. Actually, I have a theory that the older babies help the newborns keep warm, because my second litter seems to have a slightly higher survival rate than the first one. Just my own observations.

Oh yeah, one other thing, I don't split up established adults because it can be hard to get them to accept each other again after. And it's not healthy for mice to live alone. So I always leave the same male with the same 2-4 females and never switch them around.

Thanks for the info. I'll put them back together and keep the tub set up for the extra males. Setting up another breeding group in another tub out of these babies. It looks like we have 4 females and 3 males left.

Back