• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

very good article on Frozen vs Fresh Killed feeders

dadcoy

I tend to agree with the writer, as basically there is not much vitamins left in any meat that is frozen for more than 7 days, if there are no preservatives in it.

here is the direct link if you want it.

http://www.vmsherp.com/LCLivevsFrozen.htm

A Discussion on Live vs. Frozen Feeder Rodents

Introduction

After nearly thirty years of feeding snakes, we've formed a few opinions on the subject of fresh vs. frozen foods. It seems the whole world believes that feeding frozen rodents is the perfect solution to all the problems associated with feeding fresh rodents. Well, it's not perfect and there are a few problems with frozen that keepers need to become aware of and to consider when using this food source.

In this article, we'll consider the advantages and disadvantages of utilizing live or fresh-killed rodents vs. frozen rodents as a food source. By the way, when I mention live feeders here, I am really talking about live only with small pinky & fuzzy mice or rats. Larger feeders should be euthanized immediately before feeding to prevent them from biting or scratching your snake (sometimes causing permanent damage or even death)

Pros of Fresh Feeders

The single biggest advantage live or fresh-killed rodents have over their frozen counterparts is simply that they are the freshest food source available. No proteins, vitamins or nutrients have been lost through time spent in the freezer. There seems to be a misconception on the part of frozen enthusiasts that there is no breakdown of these components in frozen, no doubt started by those who market frozen. Don't believe me? Go to your doctor and tell him you intend to raise your new baby on nothing but frozen foods from birth to adulthood and see what he says. Be prepared for a visit shortly after by child services. Also consider that human food gets lots of preservatives and additives designed to offset these losses, while frozen rodents get nothing. If there's no losses, why would profit hungry corporations go to the extra time and expense of adding these? The answer seems self-evident.

Another strong advantage of utilizing live pinkies and fuzzies is that they can be simply dropped in the cage and left overnight with stubborn feeders or new hatchlings. Small frozen rodents will quickly begin to decay and must be removed quickly from the cage if not eaten immediately. Many snakes resent the intrusion into the cage, and may not calm down enough to feed before the item must be removed. Other new babies may prefer to feed at night. This can make use of frozen foods impractical in large collections.

Cons of Fresh Feeders

The most obvious drawback for most keepers is that it simply is not convenient. Most keepers do not have an in-house supply of live rodents and must therefore make regular trips to a source. Many keepers also complain about the expense. The next most common complaint is that the keeper is squeamish about either killing the rodent or even knowing that the rodent was just killed for them.

Well, all I can say on all of that is: "This is your pet and it's your responsibility, so deal with it. It's also inconvenient when the dog wants to go out at 3:00AM, but it's your responsibility as a pet owner to get out of bed and open the door for him. End of story you lazy bum". Buy me a beer sometime and I'll tell you how I REALLY feel about people who don't give their pets the very best care.

However, there is a hidden disadvantage (rarely getting mentioned in comparison). This is that it's possible to transmit certain parasites to the snake via live (or fresh-killed) prey. While a risk, this is actually much less common than you would suspect. Snakes have been feeding on wild rodents for eons, which harbor a far greater range of parasites, and with little effect. Provided feeder rodents are obtained from clean, disease free stocks, it's a very insignificant problem.

Pros of Frozen Feeders

There's really only one advantage to using frozen feeder rodents and that's convenience. Being able store a small quantity of frozen mice behind the frozen lasagna will eliminate a few trips to the store. You might even get a slightly better price by purchasing in quantity.

Some keepers claim that freezing kills off parasites contained within the rodent. While this may be the case for a few species, many eggs can easily survive this process. Besides, would you purchase rodents knowing they contained tape worms eggs and then feed them to your snakes under any circumstances? Taking the extra time to make sure you are purchasing rodents produced professionally, in a clean environment, and from disease free stock is the best way to prevent parasite transmission.

Cons of Frozen Feeders

Earlier in this article, we touched on loss of vitamins, minerals and nutrients during the freezing process. But we did not mention that the length of time spent in the freezer can increase these losses, not to mention cause freezer burn. It is recommended that you obtain the freshest frozen rodents possible. Making the assumption that your store has provided fresh ones can be a mistake, they may have been in the back of their freezer for months (or worse). Many commercial sources for frozen rodents will date each package with the date frozen, a real help in determining freshness.

Now let's talk about problems with the method of feeding frozen. First and foremost, the frozen rodent MUST be thawed COMPLETELY before use. Each year we get several inquiries from keepers who have failed to do this and are having serious medical problems with their pets as a result. We always hold the rodent in the hand, feeling the thickest parts (especially the head) for any cool temperatures which might indicate that it is not completely thawed before feeding.

But remember, over-thawing can be a whole lot worse! Read the label on a package of chicken. See where it discusses the dangers of exposing it to room temperatures? Well, this is exactly what you MUST do before feeding a frozen rodent! And this rodent is complete, with all gut content and bacteria, not to mention urine and feces, while the chicken has been stripped of all such nasties. So here we are, deliberately exposing a tainted piece of meat to dangerous temperatures before happily handing it to our pet. Sound bad? Well it is.

Salmonella and other nasty organisms can develop amazingly fast, and the real danger here is hidden. You happily feed without knowing and suddenly your snake has slimy green feces and is losing weight faster than an anorexic fashion model. Oh, and remember when you had to touch it to see if it was thawed? Now YOU'VE been exposed! Like it says on that chicken package, always wash hands and surfaces thoroughly with disinfectant (including feeding tongs or similar) after use.

Attempt to minimize the exposure to room temperatures. Thaw as quickly as possible, and offer immediately to your snake. Remove uneaten rodents quickly from the cage, in thirty minutes or less. many keepers will use the microwave oven to quickly thaw rodents. We don't recommend this for several reasons: It's easy to overheat the rodent and burn your snake. It's easy to accidentally cook portions of the meat (which reptiles cannot digest properly). It exposes your microwave oven to the same potential diseases as discussed above. many keepers will place the rodent inside a Ziploc bag and thaw in warm water. This greatly increases the rate of thawing and is the preferred method.

Conclusion:

While frozen rodents certainly present a convenient food source, the best and safest food source for captive snakes is fresh-killed rodents from clean disease-free stock.

Here at VMS, we utilize fresh feeders for the bulk of our feedings, filling in with frozen only when insufficient numbers of fresh feeders are being produced. All of our rodents, fresh or frozen, are produced here in our facility from clean disease-free stock. We feel this will provide the best quality food items for our snakes, because as the saying goes, "You are what you eat".

Well, Sean knows his stuff. He's been breeding snakes for decades. I've bought a few snakes off of him, and his stock is always top notch. He's a nice guy, too. However, he has a facility that allows him to breed his own mice. While many of us have snake collections, producing your own mice is another endeavor altogether. I've never actually been to Sean's facility, but I have visited others, and i can tell you, I don't want one. I merely stood in the doorway of a mouse room for a few moments, and my wife nearly threw up when I got home. My clothes just reeked! And I hadn't even touched anything! She made me strip and washed my clothes right then. Mouse smell just permeates the air, and everything. Whereas I cannot dispute what Sean has said, and figure he's probably onto something, can anyone point to problems with snake health that can be traced back to long-term frozen foods? I've only been doing this for a few years, but I do not remember anyone making that connection. If it turned out that there was such a connection, I imagine that many breeders would rather find a new hobby than start a mouse colony. It's not even a question for me. If I cannot do frozen, I'll sell my collection and collect something else.

This guy clearly knows what he is talking about and the information is good. I just hate how he talks down to anyone feeding frozen, basically saying you are a terrible pet owner if you do this. There is no mention of practicality of keeping live feeders available for a small collection. I have 4 snakes that are all on frozen. 2 eat mice and 2 eat rats. The expense and care of a colony of rats and a colony of mice is just not worth it. Not to mention having the right size and not being over run with feeders I can't feed off.

As the above poster mentioned. I've seen no study that feeding frozen is detrimental to a snakes health. Many snakes on frozen live a long and healthy life.

I like Sean, and own some of his animals, but I don't agree with his slant. The pros of f/t simply outweigh the cons by a large margin for me. And this is not an attack, but every single one of my snakes that I have a hard time getting to eat f/t come from VMS. Without question if you start snakes off on live, some will be tough feeders for you if you plan on feeding thawed.

Last edited:
There are no scientific studies to back up his claims, which makes it a slightly hysterical opinion piece if you ask me. Some of his opinions stand to reason if not science.

I have a mouse colony and I feed mostly frozen/thawed with occasional fresh killed. Personally I'd be more concerned about parasites in fresh than deteriorated nutrition in frozen if you're not raising your own mice.

This article is rhetorical hyperbole. In other words, it's his opinion based on anecdotal information.

There is no work cited page to back up anything he says. If he is basing his claims on his own experiences...that's fine, but he needs documentation to back up his claims.

Now, what would be interesting is if he split a clutch of snakes and raised half of them on fresh/live and half on frozen/thawed and then kept strict data. It would be even more interesting if a blind study were conducted where he donated a clutch of snakes to a third party and that party raised the snakes on either fresh or frozen and then returned them to Sean to see if he could differentiate whether or not the snakes were raised on fresh or frozen based on observations only.

Just my .02.

I agree with these three posts.

I like Sean, and own some of his animals, but I don't agree with his slant. The pros of f/t simply outweigh the cons by a large margin for me. And this is not an attack, but every single one of my snakes that I have a hard time getting to eat f/t come from VMS. Without question if you start snakes off on live, some will be tough feeders for you if you plan on feeding thawed.

There are no scientific studies to back up his claims, which makes it a slightly hysterical opinion piece if you ask me. Some of his opinions stand to reason if not science.

I have a mouse colony and I feed mostly frozen/thawed with occasional fresh killed. Personally I'd be more concerned about parasites in fresh than deteriorated nutrition in frozen if you're not raising your own mice.

This article is rhetorical hyperbole. In other words, it's his opinion based on anecdotal information.

There is no work cited page to back up anything he says. If he is basing his claims on his own experiences...that's fine, but he needs documentation to back up his claims.

Now, what would be interesting is if he split a clutch of snakes and raised half of them on fresh/live and half on frozen/thawed and then kept strict data. It would be even more interesting if a blind study were conducted where he donated a clutch of snakes to a third party and that party raised the snakes on either fresh or frozen and then returned them to Sean to see if he could differentiate whether or not the snakes were raised on fresh or frozen based on observations only.

Just my .02.

a couple of his points are proven scientific fact...like that freezing food does loose vitamins and stuff. that's why humans add preservatives to those foods when we freeze them.

and I think he is talking to someone that only has a few snakes...I mean I have one and don't mind stopping by the pet store on the way home once a week or so for a mouse. The local pet store I stop by is a family owned business and I have known them for most of my life and I know they are legit and the concern for parasites at their facility is super low.

but I can imagine if you had 3 or more that frozen would be much more convienent.

and lets say there is vitamin loss, maybe those aren't the ones the snake needs. the calcium level would be same because the bones are just that...bones.

my opinion is not strong enough that I would argue with anyone about it....I just thought it an interesting article.

Here is a scholastic article written by the editor of a health library (Davies) and person with extensive employment in public health and the holder of a MA in public health (Barrett) from Beth Israel Hospital stating that it is a myth that fresh is better than frozen. At the end of the article there is an extensive works cited page referencing their data sources.

http://www.bidmc.org/YourHealth/HolisticHealth/HealthMythsCenter.aspx?ChunkID=160561

Further, you can find that the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the International Food Information Council (IFIC) have both issued statements that nutrients are NOT lost during canning and freezing. Texture and other things are affected, but nutrition is not lost. There is too much scientific evidence to the contrary.

I can't stand it when a person passes off an opinion piece as fact (not you OP, but the author) and then further demeans those who don't support his/her opinion. I take offense to his allusions that I am causing my snake harm because I feed it frozen. My snake is 14 years old, over 700 grams and appears to be in perfect health--it has eaten frozen/thawed for every meal of its entire life.

I joined this forum as a newbie reptile owner and I'm here to learn. I know next to nothing about snakes and my mind is open and receptive to gaining knowledge, but I can and will research claims that are passed of as fact when they are not.

Sorry for the rant. I'm an educator, a scholar and an animal lover with a passion for the truth.

This is why I don't feed live mice.

ratbait5.jpg

ratbait3.jpg

While admittedly poor Ratbait there is also blind, he was bit in the face after missing a strike on a live rat. Last week when I fed my snakes, one of them struck the mouse on the back end and coiled it, leaving the head entirely free. If that had been a live mouse it would have bit the hell out of my snake.

ceduke witnessed a ball python get the top of its skull ripped off by a rat after it missed a strike.

The vet I took my turtle to relayed a story of a kingsnake bitten through the skull by a mouse it missed a strike on and it had to be euthanised.

So no, the only 'pro' is NOT convenience. There's also the bloody safety of my pets!

For me, the author lost any credibility with this line...
Don't believe me? Go to your doctor and tell him you intend to raise your new baby on nothing but frozen foods from birth to adulthood and see what he says. Be prepared for a visit shortly after by child services.
I grow and freeze as many of my own vegetables as possible, and the majority of the red meat in my house is venison, hunted and butchered by my SIL and then immediately frozen by me...if I were to tell any doctor that was what I feed my family, they would applaud.
Most fresh frozen foods have NO additives, which make them about as healthy as one can get. Time in the refrigerator or on the counter is what causes nutrient loss when passed peak. If quickly frozen right after butchering, or in a mouses case, dispatching, the nutrient content should be well preserved.
Additives and preservatives mainly deal with textures.

This is why I don't feed live mice.

ratbait5.jpg

ratbait3.jpg

While admittedly poor Ratbait there is also blind, he was bit in the face after missing a strike on a live rat. Last week when I fed my snakes, one of them struck the mouse on the back end and coiled it, leaving the head entirely free. If that had been a live mouse it would have bit the hell out of my snake.

ceduke witnessed a ball python get the top of its skull ripped off by a rat after it missed a strike.

The vet I took my turtle to relayed a story of a kingsnake bitten through the skull by a mouse it missed a strike on and it had to be euthanised.

So no, the only 'pro' is NOT convenience. There's also the bloody safety of my pets!

The article isn't saying feed them live, he is saying buy them or breed them live and kill right before feeding for best nutrition....

My mistake, I misread.

I do not think it would make any difference nutritionally, however. Pretty much every piece of meat I've ever eaten was frozen at one point.

My mistake, I misread.

I do not think it would make any difference nutritionally, however. Pretty much every piece of meat I've ever eaten was frozen at one point.

That is so true of most people, with me it depends on the cut. I like my steak fresh unfrozen, so I buy the same day I plan on cooking them.

This is not a very good article- this is an opinion piece. I agree with other posts that there is no evidence supporting his claims at all. This would obviously never fly as a research article.

First, the author of that article seems like a rather angry, resentful individual. Second, and I don't mean to generalize, but some people on this board consider articles like the one that started this thread, rhetoric, hyperbole or anecdotal.

Yet others are quick to slam academic articles as boring, too long, filled with charts and graphs, etc.

It can be rather amusing.

This article is interesting and brings up a lot of good points, but for many of us is unrealistic. It seems that many of us are doing just fine with feeding f/t mice.

I did learn a lot about thawing methods though, so the author made good points on that topic, even if I did feel like I was being yelled at.

Sn8kman, what makes you ready to accept what one person says, and dismiss another? You read this article on frozen feeders, and refer to it as rhetorical, hyperbole, and anecdotal, and then you even manage to characterize the author as angry and resentful. How do you know this? And yet the article on UV light, which I said was boring and unhelpful, you consider "science" because it is written in a scientific format at a university? You called it "relevant" and "useful". It is written by a college student, which I could speculate was only trying to gain a decent grade, and may not have really had any interest in whether snakes could benefit from UV light or not. On the other hand, the article on frozen mice was written by a breeder with thousands of snakes and decades of experience who truly has the well-being of his animals in mind. His article was posted on his reptile business website, and was obviously his opinion placed there to help educate other snake enthusiasts. Certainly, he may be wrong. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with him. As a matter-of-fact, I agreed with you in that I don't see a problem, so I will continue to feed frozen. Our diverse opinions/knowledge is what makes this site so great. I just don't see why you characterize Sean (the frozen mouse author) as angry and resentful, while you consider UV light for snakes to be "relevant", (because it's scientific?).

I'm sorry. I don't see how I mischaracterized what you said. I certainly do not wish to do that. We may not agree on everything, but I respect your opinion, and am trying to discuss the issues, not argue. Can you be specific? Thanks.

Back