CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Cost Prohibitive Pinkies

Old 04-12-2015, 06:25 PM   #11
frostgfx
That might be true but my housemate might rebel.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:15 PM   #12
frostgfx
So I made the pilgrimage to Petco today... Not at all impressed. Only one employee in the whole store and he was not interested In helping me out. I finally found the fridge with the mice in it. Their pinky mice are $2 apiece... Their supply is very sparse and when I checked out my other pet store they don't stock mice for sale... So I guess I am going to order online.

For a new snake that is maybe 16" long and probably about as thick as a #2 pencil... I was told is one year old...What would I be looking at for a 6mo. - 1yr. supply?

Old 04-13-2015, 11:18 PM   #13
gelshark
If the expense of buying single pinkies is too much... AND you have not already gotten your baby snake...
I would advise in acquiring an adult snake.
This way you would be purchasing adult mice for the snake to eat and could place a small "bulk" order and not worry about having to constantly up-size the food items.
At rodent pro you could get 50 adult mice (1 bag) shipped to your door for $64, that's $1.28 per mouse. That should last you a year right there.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:30 PM   #14
gelshark
Looking at mice direct you could get 25 mice shipped to your door for $55.00 (if a smaller bag you prefer for your limited freezer space)

Old 04-13-2015, 11:50 PM   #15
frostgfx
Does anyone have any thoughts about Feeder Source??? Smaller bags, lower shipping??? Will check BOI... thanks,

Old 04-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #16
foghat
If you can't locate a reasonable bulk quantity, take a step back and think about things: while $2 a pinky is a lot, the reality is, you are only talking about $8-$10 a month for food. That is really not bad for a pet.

Maybe do this for a couple of months until you move onto bigger mice and then look at getting something in bulk?

Old 04-14-2015, 10:12 AM   #17
foghat
Though, I guess you will probably get into double pinks before small fuzzies, so you could be looking at double that cost at some point. Guess it depends on what you can get bulk.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:22 AM   #18
Chip
I don't at any point in my snake's lives double food items, unless I simply run out of the size I need. There's really no need to. If a snake can take two 2 gram pinks, it can take a 4 gram peach fuzzy. Unfortunately, with this comes sorting and weighing and having enough of everything, but I'm married to that anyway.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #19
foghat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
I don't at any point in my snake's lives double food items, unless I simply run out of the size I need. There's really no need to. If a snake can take two 2 gram pinks, it can take a 4 gram peach fuzzy. Unfortunately, with this comes sorting and weighing and having enough of everything, but I'm married to that anyway.
Ya, I am of the same opinion now. But when starting out I followed the munson plan which calls for double pinks (before small fuzzies) at a certain snake weight.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:09 PM   #20
Candy001
We do double pinkies because we bought fuzzies in bulk and some of them are more pinkie sized so we go with 2 pinkies or one if a bigger fuzzy. It's working well for us so far.
We bought them at a repticon but in the future will likely order online even though it is for 1 snake. Our petco does carry frozen though the cost is more, but compared to what I spend on feeding my cats it's still minimal for a single corn snake!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google