• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

a change

DirtySanchez

Loyal Fan
I am thinking of changing everything around in my two snakes tanks. Well just the substrate actually but I don't know what to use. In one i have pine shavings and in the other i have aspen shavings (both store bought) I do have a lot of peat moss left over from what i bought to use for my snakes nest. I think that is cool to use because when i bought one of them it was in a deli cup with a small amount in the bottom. I want somthing that looks natrual but different to give them a little bit of a change. What would you use??????? I am also thinking of giving them a bigger water dish

I would stick with aspen even though it doesnt look all that natural...(where do you find wood shavings in the wild?) I think Ive heard that cocanut shavings wasnt good for your snakes but this is what Ive heard not for sure... and for the pine I thought there was a rumor about that not being good either... but ive never used any of those so I wouldnt have any experience with any of them... I would stick with the aspen...

We started with Repti bark but I didn't like it because it was hard to spot the poo. We use Aspen and I like it alot better. It looks so clean and she love to dig around in it. I think that the Pine can be dangerous because of the oil it has in it, so I'd switch that one.

:D Hope this helps

Colleen

I've used coconut bark once! looked great, bu it was realy dusty! personly i like Repti-bark the most for it's looks! but now i use beech chipings! it is a lot cheaper than repti-bark!

Well to hear it it sounds like nothing is good for these snakes. Why not try that stuff that can grow grass in the tank.....dang it can be that bad for them. Now i uncerstand some things are poison. But it is starting to sound like the people who thinks EVERYTHING can give you cancer! LoL

Sorry DS !

Hi pdrau - a word of warning for folks in the UK. I've checked out the large sacks of bark chips at B&Q, but they tell me that they chemically treat their mulch products. Don't know what with, but I won't risk it just in case it's weedkiller or pesticide. I strongly recommend asking before you use stuff from any garden centre.

Cheers
Kel

Back