• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Who houses their Corns together?

Taxidermy

everything under the sun.
I am wondering, would I be able to house two snakes together in the same viv as long as I feed them in seperate containers. I've heared of snake cannibalism, but what if the snakes are the same size? Plus I believe this is the only way I would be able to get another snake. Should I go with this plan or possibly wait when I have the money to buy another viv?

My vote is to wait until you can afford to house them separately. Please do a search for cohabitation and housing together. You will find LOTS of threads and info about this subject.

:shrugs:
Taxidermy said:
I am wondering, would I be able to house two snakes together in the same viv as long as I feed them in seperate containers. I've heared of snake cannibalism, but what if the snakes are the same size? Plus I believe this is the only way I would be able to get another snake. Should I go with this plan or possibly wait when I have the money to buy another viv?
Hey Iwas wondering the same as about to get two hatching corns tomorrow and was thinking much the same!Apparently they are much the same size and hopefully i'll be able to keep them together for always.I'm not planning on breeding them though,just for pets.They will be an amelanistic and an albino cross amelanistic.Am really looking forward to owning my first corn snakes.If you have any good information for me then it would be much appreciated :rolleyes: :crazy02: Cheers!

not many people are going to tell you it is a good idea to keep thiem in the same enclosure. but it is really up to you, do you want to risk it. do you want to risk canablzim, the sharing dises and tick and mites, it is up to you :shrugs:

viktoria333 said:
:shrugs:
Hey Iwas wondering the same as about to get two hatching corns tomorrow and was thinking much the same!Apparently they are much the same size and hopefully i'll be able to keep them together for always.

The general consensus is that the worst time to keep them together is when they are hatchlings. Most of the examples of CS cannibalism that I have seen are with babies. This is also a time when they are already stressed from being moved, and more likely to develop health problems.

If you invest in two inexpensive 10 gallon setups, or similarly sized plastic tubs, that will buy you a good year to save up for two nice vivs. I used a piece of acrylic to divide a 55 gal. tank I had laying around. It houses two of my adults comfortably, seperately and without taking up too much room.

I'm on my way out, but will snap a pic of the setup later amd post it.

I have one large display terrarium with 5 adult males who get along like a house on fire, another community viv for 4 juvenile females (who are about to be split into 2 x 2 vivariums as they are growing and I don't want them to be crowded) and many of my young hatchlings are housed either together as whole clutches or in 2-3 tubs per clutch depending on the size.

All my others live in private quaters!

All are sepparated or closely supervised for feedings.

Cool Princess thta you admit housing some together, risking all the baffling and stuff... I house 3 '05 corns together in a very large tank so they can avoid each other if they want. Most of the time 2 are together and 1 is alone in mixed combo's, and they all do very well; 1 piece sheds, eating, pooping.... I plan to buy my separately housed yearling male an adult female in October, to form a couple next year I hope... I plan to have them live together all the time, or, if not going well, I just put all 4 females together in an even bigger viv when not breeding the couple. Maybe in 2007/8 I'll rotate the women to live with the male during breeding season, so they'll have a rest 3/4 off the season. If possible I'll keep one with the male all the rest of the year, just keeping a eye on which female feels most comfortable around him. But that's all future thoughts now...

Housing corns

I will be feeding my babies separately,every 5 days.i have purchased two geo type containers to do this,they will also be living in one for a while.I have been told that a 35 inch 12 by 24 should be ok for two adults,as i intend on keeping two females if possible.apparently both are much of the same size i would think that surely a snake can't eat the same size snake as itself?someone put me right please!If i got two from the same batch,would that help?I have a choice of a single adult too,I realise that this prospect would probably be better for a beginner such as myself,but i like a challenge{my chinese crested water dragon was emaciated when i first got him,and had a respiratory infection due to the last owner not giving him water to bathe in or bothering with the humidity either}He is now fully grown and a corking specimin,which unfortunatly has just grown too big for my house..So I will be swapping him for these corns,as they won't need a massive viv like my dino does.So do I go for two Hatchlings about 4 weeks old and feeding well?Or the big old carolina corn?Will tell what i get tomorrow!viktoria

I house my adult females (three of them) together.

I have two adult males who live separately most of the time. One gets to go in the big tank at breeding time. The other gets the females brought to him.

I have two hatchlings at the moment. Both live on their own.

As already mentioned, the worst time for them to live together is as hatchlings. Once they're older, and you have had plenty time to assess their temperament, I feel it is OK to house females of good temperament and similar size together. Personally, I'll never put more than one male in the same tank. I keep all my hatchlings separate. I had a cannibalism incident with a couple of youngsters a few years ago that put me off housing anything but adult females together.

Each to their own though, there are plenty on here who will only EVER house snakes individually.

:)

Cannabalism

What was this cannibalism incident you are talking of?I can house them separatly for a while,but i always planned on separating them at dinner time.I don't understand,I can see a much larger one would see a small one as a quick snack but each of the same size?Can anyone there explain this to me?I don't want to witness a nasty swallowing event But I have been led to believe that two of the same size should be ok given enough room.I can separate them if things get a bit grim. :eek1:

Touchy subject with some people.. I don't house any of them together at the moment, although things might change when we get around to breeding season. Solitary animals..

Regards..

All of my cannibalism issues have been with hatchlings of the same size housed together. Most often with problem feeders but occasionally good feeders put back together after feeding.

These two were the same size.
cannibal2

Cannibalism

So would you suggest i house them separately in tubs in the viv?How long should i keep them separately for?When could i let them go in the viv together permanently?Would i always be one the lookout for one fat snake?I don't want my kids to see that.I don't want to make any mistakes with them,I may just get only one now,I did hope to be able to house them together eventually,i can keep them separate for about a year,i think.Is this cannibal thing,does it go on all the time if you leave the hatchlings together and not separate them?Or is it more like a small risk?cheers,viktoria

"NO" mistakes? House separately always.

Slight risk? In my opinion, it is only a slight risk, but you have to be prepared for the consequenses.

Housing corns together

So you would recommend to either only get one,Or house them separately permanently?Also,is it easy to tell the sex of a four to fiveweek old hatchling?Was hoping to get two females,as these i have heard don't tend to get as big as the males..An amelanistic and amelanistic cross albino.Has anyone found that the colour of the snake coincides with thier personality?Is ther a particular colour morph thats more bitey than the rest?Would two different colour morphs get on once adult.Other peeps on this site are keeping females together[adults,granted]but was wondering if there is anyone out there who has kept a pair of corns together since hatchlings?Would especially like to know.I don't want to make a mistake tomorrow..Cheers,Viktoria

This is a loaded question. You might want to ask about those who used to house corns together but do not anymore because of problems. But asking those who do it is a good way to filter out any negative responses.

It's like asking if being a stoner makes you a loser. Of course those who smoke pot on a regular basis aren't going to tell you what losers it makes them, even if they could see that. Nor will they tell you how it completely stops all intellectual and emotional growth, because they aren't capable of understanding that other people continued growing long after they stopped. They don't get that they are still 13-18 year old mentalities stuck in 30, 40, or 50 year old bodies, they thnk that's what everyone else is, too. So you're not going to get an honest answer of "look at what a pathetic loser and waste of human potential I am."

Anyway, I used to house corns together, when I first got into corns. I found that it caused problems I wasn't even aware of, until I separated them after 2 years. (Then one of them, who was much smaller and a picky feeder with a bad attitude, suddenly sprouted and is an entirely different snake.)

There is no guaranteed method of sexing snakes, and even the best in the world make mistakes, so just because you THINK you are housing two females together, unless they have already both laid eggs, you do not KNOW that they are females and you still risk premature breeding, eggbinding, etc.

There are also issues of stress, cannibalism, and many other issues. There are plenty of good reasons to not keep them together, and there is not one single good reason to keep them together. (IMO keeping more snakes than you can afford is NOT a good reason.)

Just some food for thought. :wavey:

Serpwidgets said:
Anyway, I used to house corns together, when I first got into corns. I found that it caused problems I wasn't even aware of, until I separated them after 2 years. (Then one of them, who was much smaller and a picky feeder with a bad attitude, suddenly sprouted and is an entirely different snake.)

I totally agree that corns should be housed separate for the reasons mentioned numerous times before, however, as many people know I have an adult pair that were housed together for 4 years. Only after I separated them did I run into "problems". Both were great eaters and placid, as corns are. Once I separated them the female became very aggressive. She has all that she could want, space, heat, regular feed,peace, hides etc.

I don't understand why, all I know is her name now is "The Biotch", there is no bluffing with her. IMO she definitely defies the guides, maybe there is more to this.

Housing corns together

After much advice am gonna go for one hatchling,Don't know which one yet,will follow my heart when i see them.Any more good info that you just don't find on care sheets for me?I find hands on information priceless so if theres anyone out there willing to Share some hints and tips it would be most appreciated..cheers.

viktoria333 said:
An amelanistic and amelanistic cross albino.
Just FYI, in cornsnakes, albinos are called amelanistic. (The reason is that albino generally means lacking pigment and can apply to anerys/charcoals/lavenders/amels/etc, but amelanistic specifically means lacking the black pigment melanin.)

So there is no difference between "amel" and "amel cross albino." (Either you are mis-quoting the source or they don't know what they are talking about.)

Back