• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

She's not eating, Bleeding?

UnaAngelFay

as I said before:
My name is Kristine and although I am usually into rodent/small animals (excluding reptiles and amphibians), I have actually enjoy my mother's Corn Snake... This lady my mother knows was trying to sell her corn snake and we said we couldn't afford it.. But I think the lady just didn't want it anymore and because it wouldn't eat (hasn't eaten in 3 months!) and then she gave it to us!! So now I have "Amigo" and I have no Idea how to care for her or anything! I was holding her for the first time today and she bled on me!! :eek: Do snakes have ther periods?? :eek:

How do I get it to eat?? Is the bleeding normal??:confused:

NO the bleeding isnt normal... look on your snake for any cuts... it could be the butter container, it could have some sharp edges where the hole has been cut... and she probably rubs against it cuting herself...

How old is she?
Is it a she or he?
How long is she?

You should probably take her to a vet and make sure everything is alright... She sounds like shes not doing to good. She might not be eating since shes not in a warm place, You need to get her in a nice confortable setting so she isnt stressed (stress can cause a snake not to eat!) I would try to get her a new place to live ASAP... just look on the Post I did on the other Thread... Put her in that good enviornment and let her feel a little more confortable so she isnt so stressed then I would try to feed her...

she is...

Its a she, she is 3 years old, she is around 3 to 4 ft long

I got her today, which might be the reason she isn't eating for us.. she just went through a 5 hr trip to get here and everything is brand new I even changed her cage around... I hope she is alright.. I put a rock in her cage and a dish of water (very shallow dish) and removed the bucket just now after reading your post... I cannot take her to the Vet until probably Tuesday as Tomorrow is Thanksgiving here in Canada and No vet is open....

What happened when I fed her a <dead> Pinkie:

I put the pinkie in her cage and she smelled it, she seemed very interested in it.. she nudged it a few times and then ( I can't think of the right words) she decided to lay on it... I tried to wiggle it with a stick, but she still just nudged it a few time and then laid on it again... Then I removed it after an hour or so.. :(

What happened when she started to bleed:

I was holding her like I said, for the first time, and she kept wiggleing away from my had.. she is very cold.. when she rubbed against my hand, I felt a few scales felt out of place, or very very rough.. I wasn't holding tight or nothing and she started to bleed from her "slit" by her tail ( I am soo sorry, I know nothing of snake anatomy or anything else about snakes for that matter) I freaked out and put her back in her cage and washed my hands..

I have no Idea when she last shedded but I know she hasn't eaten for 3 months! And I cannot make it to a vet for 3 days.. what can I do in the mean time??:(

Does she seem bulky? Like fatter around the bottom end? HMMM blood from the clocia (the slit) doesnt sound like a good thing! I would def take her to the vet on Tuesday... she could be egg bound (which means that she has a/few eggs in her and she is unable to push them out... Egg binding can cause death in snakes... but just to be safe I would take her to the vet

would they have eggs??

Would a snake that was never bred, not even seen a male snake have eggs? will she be okay till tuesday:confused:

She should be fine till Tuesday but I would try to get her to the vet on Tuesday... Oh and yes a female corn can and will lay eggs even though she hasnt even been with/around a male!

well

Two reasons she might not have eaten:

1. New area. Give at least a week.

2. A 3-4 foot corn should be eating large adult mice, not pinkies.

And yes get her to vet when you can. I wouldn't try feeding anything until then anyways.

bmm

PS has anyone thought about the possibiltity of the "blood" being musk?? If she is stressed out being in a new homw etc, then she probably wont eat and would musk on you when handled. Did this "blood" smell funny? Just a suggestion...

Just like to emphasise on what everyone is saying

I would take her to a vet but make sure the vet has experience with snakes!

No offense to vets, they do a great and worthwhile job, but they can't be experts in everything, and reptiles are often their weakness.

Hope she gets well soon

I am sorry... I lied...

I was under the assuption that the girl before me tried everything.. but in reality this was not true!! it was fed "jumper" mice and then the girl decided to give it gerbils (all the different sizes)... well DUH!! If it won't eat and you changed its diet, TRY SWITCHING IT BACK!!! Anyways.. She's eating again!!! Should I still take her to the vet??:confused:

Back