CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Internal Parasites??

Old 02-12-2003, 09:50 PM   #1
cornsnakefreak0
Internal Parasites??

Okay here's the problem. I brought some snakes back in Oct. Recently two of them have died and I know for sure that the cause of death was internal parasites. I know this because before one them died I had it checked out at the vet. While I was waiting for the results my little snake passed away. He had a black bulge near his cloaca and had been regurgitating. He didn't gain any weight. I was wondering if this parasite is contagiuos and if I should worry about my other snakes. My friend also bought from this guy and has lost three of her snakes and three have been confirmed infected. All snakes still living that we recieved from this guy we are going to take to the vet to be dewormed. Can anyone give us some info on parasites and what we should look for in our other snakes? The reason I want to know if it is contagious is because I risk losing all of my future breeders and my breeders that I have now.

Please help....Charlene

Old 02-12-2003, 11:31 PM   #2
13mur 6
If parasites are the problem, then fecals need to be done on all your snakes to figure out what parasite is causing the problem. Worms are not the only parasites, the most dangerous being bacteria and protozoan parasites. If protozoans are the cause, then Flagyl instead of Panacur should be dosed. If it's bacteria, a very specific antibiotic for that bacteria must be dosed. Hope that helps. Good luck

-13mur 6

Old 02-13-2003, 03:23 PM   #3
bmm
hi

Well cornsnakefreak0 honestly....if your "future breeders" are worth a lot to you personally and financially, then you should have *NEVER* allowed a new snake from an outside source to come near them. You have to be really careful!

Most snake keepers pratice quarantine which means you keep any new arrivals (from pet shops, from snake shows, from even the best breeders, you quarantine everything! no matter what!) in a seperate room and use seperate equiptment for them....i.e. bowls, gloves, hooks, feeding tubs, etc. If you are working with the quarantine, then you must wash your hands really good afterwards. If you hold one of your "clean" animals after not washing your hands you could infect them. If you change their waterbowls together, you could infect them. So everything must be 100% seperate. You do this anywhere from 1-6 months. You watch for signs or mites, internal parasites, non feeders, anything out of ordinary. If all goes well and you feel they are heathy than normally its not an issue to introduce them into the area your other clean snakes are kept. But quarantine at least allows time for problems like you are having now to show up before the reach the rest of your collection. Internal parasites *ARE* able to pass from snake to snake.

I would have each animal get a fecal or prescribe enough from the vet to treat your entire collection as it sounds like you have something nasty on your hands parasite wise. Like 13mur6 said Panacure and Flagyl.

REMEMBER! always quarantine from now on!!!!!!!

bmm

Old 02-14-2003, 03:48 PM   #4
CowBoyWay
Question Natural Sourced Anti-Parasitic Agents

GRAPEFRUIT SEED EXTRACT and ARTEMISIA ANNUA
(the herb Sweet Wormwood) as an
*anti-BACTERIAL *anti- WORM
*anti-PROTOZOAN agent.

AIDS patients may know something we don’t i.e. herbal remedies can and do bring relief from parasites for already weakened individuals.

Internal parasites (Cryptosporidium included) are among the nastier bugs People With Aids must contend with, as it is a life threatening condition for immunocompromised individuals.
Most "normal" people exposed / infected with Cryptosporidium protozoas would experience flu like symtoms for a few days and probably be diagnosed as the "Flu".
A parasitic infection is not to be ignored: By damaging the intestinal wall, it can lead to nutrient malabsorption .

The standard treatment for most protozoan parasite infestation in mammals (and snakes) is a short course of metronidazole (brand name Flagyl), a drug that is "usually" effective but can cause serious, "harsh", side effects.

The physician Dr. Leo Galland of New York reports that even when ingested for twelve months, G.S.E. showed no side effects.
Furthermore, none of his patients developed immune resistance.
The latter is a problem that can occur when antibiotics are frequently ingested.
Grapefruit seed extract appears to keep its effect, even when used for a long period of time.

Dr. Galland, has found that a combination of grapefruit seed extract and an herb called Artimesia annua makes for an Effective Broad Spectrum Parasite Treatment.

Grapefruit Seed Extract is from the Rutaceae plant family. The seeds and leaves from this plant have the following actions: antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiseptic, antiviral, antifungal, and anthelmintic (= capable of expelling or destroying parasitic worms).
GSE has been shown to kill both gram- negative and gram-positive strains of bacteria.
Like "ARTEMISIA ANNUA", grapefruit seed extract is truly a" broad-spectrum" natural antibiotic / anti-parasitic, capable of killing a wide variety of pathogens.

Sweet Wormwood has been used for many hundreds of years as a highly effective cure for Malaria in chinese / asian medicine.
Also commonly used as a ANTHELMINTIC, which in this context, are herbs / natural sourced extracts that have the capacity to destroy intestinal worms and parasites.
There are 2 types:
Verminicides:Type 1: which destroy worms but do not cause expulsion from the bowels

and Vermifuges:Type 2: which expels worms from the bowels ,
The herb Sweet Wormwood belongs to both groups.

GSE has been shown to be effective in treatment of literally hundreds of different illnesses in humans, including the following caused by: Staphylococcus, Giardia lamblia, Candida albicans, Streptococcus, Salmonella, Cholera, Chlamydia, and protozoas in general.
3 drops in a glass a water per day while travelling in areas with unknown water quality will prevent 'Montezumas Revenge" in humans. interesting stuff.

There is a product called “Nutibiotic High Potency capsules plus” which Contains
100mg. of Citricidal
(equivalent to 10-12 drops of GSE Liquid Concentrate),

200mg of Echinacea angustifolia root (a immune system enhancer)
and
200 mg of ARTEMISIA ANNUA
with 90 capsules running about 15 dollars U.S..

This may possibly be very well be an effective "off the shelf " (off the wall?) natural alternative to those nasty toxic chemicals commonly used for internal parasites, particularly as it may apply to sickly, already weakened snake. imo

I believe this therapy / treatment has obvious cross species applications as related to Corn Snakes and has much potential as a non toxic, gentler, easier on the critter approach to "Cleaning Up" ones collection / quarantined new arrivals...ones mice colonies could be cleaned up in a similar fashion.

"Kids don't try this at home", not quite yet, use at ones own risk,
as this is Ol' Cowboy is in the "mad science" phase of research and development. So far so good, no problems, just healthy mice.

The following is a link to:
Too much information (t.m.i.)
http://www.ksu.edu/parasitology/links

P.S. Pro-biotics should probably be used after any internal treatments as to help restore a natural "Flora" to the digestive tract.
imho

"There are no such things as applied sciences, only applications of science."
~Louis Pasteur~

Old 02-17-2003, 05:26 PM   #5
PSYCOSNAKEMOM
Thanks for the info~~~~~:~

CowBoyWay..........Just wanted to say thanks for the homeopathic/naturalistic information. I have been lucky so far that my snakes have not had any serious problems but I try to take a prevention approach to their care, so any information that I can store up for future, hopefully never needed, use I appreciate. Thanks, Sam ~~~~~:~

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google