• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn or Ball Python

Averysmom

My brother loves my corn and really wants his own snake. I have a friend that is helping us find him one and she asked if he would be interested in a ball python. This is his first snake, so I want to see what would be a better choice for him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had both. It breaks down to cost. Since Ball Pythons are considerably larger than corns, everything will be more expensive. A ball will require a larger enclosure. It’s also going to cost more to feed. Most adult corns can me maintained on adult mice. Some adult Ball pythons will require feeding of large rats. Both species are relatively easy to care for and make good pets, but I prefer corns. You need to ask yourself, does one mind having large rats in the freezer? Or having to buy a large rat from a pet store and pre killing it?

Cornsnakes tend to be more active. Ball Pythons are sometimes referred to as "pet rocks". There are exceptions, but for the most part, they're not as active.

You can get a variety of morphs in either, but the fancier morphs in BP's tend to be quite a bit more expensive.

I prefer Corns, myself.

Handling-wise It’s like comparing a hamster with a guinea-pig .. A Corn snake will never stop moving whilst a Royal will happily curl up on your lap .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve had both. It breaks down to cost. Since Ball Pythons are considerably larger than corns, everything will be more expensive. A ball will require a larger enclosure. It’s also going to cost more to feed. Most adult corns can me maintained on adult mice. Some adult Ball pythons will require feeding of large rats. Both species are relatively easy to care for and make good pets, but I prefer corns. You need to ask yourself, does one mind having large rats in the freezer? Or having to buy a large rat from a pet store and pre killing it?

^ THIS ^

My wife prefers Royals as they have a ‘cute’ headshape ..as opposed to Corn snakes .

Royals are much thicker abs have loads of colour shades and patterns whilst Corns are slender with more colour options right through from white .. yellow .. Orange and Red ..
My Royals

fc7af25bdfe204e7be745e763c801181.jpg
37131520d6825eb3e70c396258b9c78d.png
1fd8f2b2e3bff75d678915832327cb8a.png

My Corn snakes

10362da20b113e8b7b492c6dbac7ebd2.jpg
166278414ab04d5ae9a8a2af6d5c826d.jpg
b7f358f17c0639a356e2d2ea2054c2df.jpg

My wife prefers Royals as they have a ‘cute’ headshape ..as opposed to Corn snakes .

Royals are much thicker abs have loads of colour shades and patterns whilst Corns are slender with more colour options right through from white .. yellow .. Orange and Red ..
My Royals

fc7af25bdfe204e7be745e763c801181.jpg
37131520d6825eb3e70c396258b9c78d.png
1fd8f2b2e3bff75d678915832327cb8a.png

My Corn snakes

10362da20b113e8b7b492c6dbac7ebd2.jpg
166278414ab04d5ae9a8a2af6d5c826d.jpg
b7f358f17c0639a356e2d2ea2054c2df.jpg

You have gorgeous snakes! I love the white and brown one.

Okay thanks for the information everyone. I’ll talk to him about the difference in cost of maintaining. Also, are corn snake set ups different than ball pythons?

He likes the idea of watching tv with his snake sitting with him so a ball python might be the better option if they don’t move around as much.

He likes the idea of watching tv with his snake sitting with him so a ball python might be the better option if they don’t move around as much.

I watch movies with mine curled up on my lap !!!

Put them on your lap and they have a little sniff around here and there then after a minute or so if you keep moving them back on you they soon curl up and chill ..

The important thing with Royals / Ball Pythons is to ensure that you buy a GOOD eater / feeder .. so buy off a trustworthy breeder / store you know or trust or is recommended to you

I watch movies with mine curled up on my lap !!!

Put them on your lap and they have a little sniff around here and there then after a minute or so if you keep moving them back on you they soon curl up and chill ..

The important thing with Royals / Ball Pythons is to ensure that you buy a GOOD eater / feeder .. so buy off a trustworthy breeder / store you know or trust or is recommended to you

Awe I love that! I told my brother this and he’s excited to just sit and chill with his snake.

Yes good to know. I read that they can be a bit picky eaters so hopefully we can find him one that eats well!

Awe I love that! I told my brother this and he’s excited to just sit and chill with his snake.

Yes good to know. I read that they can be a bit picky eaters so hopefully we can find him one that eats well!

My friend called around to ours with her teenage daughter to check out my Corn snakes and King snakes but after they’d been sat down chatting afterwards-both holding a Royal each they said “ forget King snakes we’re having a Royal ‘“

I told my call about them getting a good eater off a breeder but about 4 days later she told me they’d bought one off Pets at Home !!
She said she mentioned she wanted a good feeder and the bloke said they had one that would eat anytime anywhere and promptly fed it in front of them !!

in my opinion, corn snakes are easier to care for than ball pythons. I've had both. A lot of ball pythons will just stop eating and can actually starve to death. Temps, Humidity, everything has to be perfect for ball pythons, or they will just stop eating. They are prone to shedding problems too if you can't keep the humidity right. Corn snakes on the otherhand are more forgiving and can take a wider range of temperature swings and humidity swings. Male corn snakes will sometimes refuse to eat in mating season, but they usually eat again after a few weeks. I've never heard of a corn snake starving itself to death but I have heard of a number of ball pythons doing that. I actually got rid of my ball python and gave it to somebody else after 2 years, because it was just too finiky.

in my opinion, corn snakes are easier to care for than ball pythons. I've had both. A lot of ball pythons will just stop eating and can actually starve to death. Temps, Humidity, everything has to be perfect for ball pythons, or they will just stop eating. They are prone to shedding problems too if you can't keep the humidity right. Corn snakes on the otherhand are more forgiving and can take a wider range of temperature swings and humidity swings. Male corn snakes will sometimes refuse to eat in mating season, but they usually eat again after a few weeks. I've never heard of a corn snake starving itself to death but I have heard of a number of ball pythons doing that. I actually got rid of my ball python and gave it to somebody else after 2 years, because it was just too finiky.

Thanks for sharing. I’ve read a lot about these things and he knows what he’d be getting into. He’s got a pros and cons list to go off of now so I’ll see what he decides.

There’s not many adult Royals who just give up eating and starve to death .... I’ve never heard of any tbh
Some do go on fasts and occasionally lengthy ones ..but every one of mine that started as a good feeder have remained good feeders

There’s not many adult Royals who just give up eating and starve to death .... I’ve never heard of any tbh
Some do go on fasts and occasionally lengthy ones ..but every one of mine that started as a good feeder have remained good feeders

I keep Corns as well so I’m not exactly biased :)

I was thinking that a royal that starved to death would have really poor husbandry. My brother will have a proper set up. Which leads me to my next question, I’ve been doing research on humidity. Would spraying the terrarium down twice a day with a spray bottle be ok? Or should he get a humidifier.

I was thinking that a royal that starved to death would have really poor husbandry. My brother will have a proper set up. Which leads me to my next question, I’ve been doing research on humidity. Would spraying the terrarium down twice a day with a spray bottle be ok? Or should he get a humidifier.

I spray mine most days and they’re perfectly fine ..

Back