CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Terrarium temperature

Old 04-30-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
corn_snake_lover
Terrarium temperature

Hi,I recently adopted a Ball python the tank is 36x18x17 I have a UTH of course but I'm trying to set an ambient temperature of 78 to 80+ at least on half of the tank I'm barely getting 77 I got 2 50 watt CHE right in the middle of the tank,hooked up with a thermostat also basking area is high 80,s to mid 90,s I have another 60 watt CHE I'm thinking on putting it either on the middle or on the side where the warm hide is,the room is kept at around 75F I have a 100 watt power sun for my dragon I have no problems keeping that tank warm lol I thought the 2 50 watt CHE would do the trick any suggestions?

Old 04-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
Patmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by corn_snake_lover View Post
Hi,I recently adopted a Ball python the tank is 36x18x17 I have a UTH of course but I'm trying to set an ambient temperature of 78 to 80+ at least on half of the tank I'm barely getting 77 I got 2 50 watt CHE right in the middle of the tank,hooked up with a thermostat also basking area is high 80,s to mid 90,s I have another 60 watt CHE I'm thinking on putting it either on the middle or on the side where the warm hide is,the room is kept at around 75F I have a 100 watt power sun for my dragon I have no problems keeping that tank warm lol I thought the 2 50 watt CHE would do the trick any suggestions?

Hi corn_snake lover
I would love to have a ball python
Could I ask what CHE mean I’ve never heard it before
Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 04-30-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
corn_snake_lover
about ball python

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmart View Post
Hi corn_snake lover
I would love to have a ball python
Could I ask what CHE mean I’ve never heard it before
Pat

there a bit harder to take care of and you need more stuff heaters,humidifier a corn snake needs lower temps that's why I went with a corn snake as my first snake and she is very good she eats good,sheds just fine and hyper,I don't know how the experience with this ball python is going to be I heard there picky eaters

Old 04-30-2018, 11:43 AM   #4
Patmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by corn_snake_lover View Post
there a bit harder to take care of and you need more stuff heaters,humidifier a corn snake needs lower temps that's why I went with a corn snake as my first snake and she is very good she eats good,sheds just fine and hyper,I don't know how the experience with this ball python is going to be I heard there picky eaters

I head that I love my corns they are easy to look after
Good luck with you ball python
Have you got any pictures yet ?
Pat

Old 04-30-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
corn_snake_lover
Hi Pat CHE is short for ceramic heat emitters they screw in a lamp fixture like a bulb but they produce a lot of heat and no light use with a ceramic or porcelain socket only also the fixture needs to be the proper wattage

Old 04-30-2018, 11:50 AM   #6
corn_snake_lover
The corn is 5 months old I just upgraded my corn to large pinkie mice she's on a 20 gallon I haven't take any pics the python I just got her yesterday I haven't taken any pics,I'm thinking on putting 3 heatCHE one in basking area hot and cold side of the tank it should stabilize the ambient temp I use a 50 wetter for my dragon it raised the temp in a small area by like 4 degrees ,but is funny my bearded dragon has a 100 watt power sun and I try to keep the heat out lol

Old 05-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
DeuceRon
Yeah it's more about having the perfect temp and humidity for pythons. I heard they are very hard to get right, but once you do, you're in business! Since they are tropical, I would think that more of between 90 and 95 is preferred. The humidity needs to be up there as well.

Since they like to climb, a heat mat is probably not a good idea.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #8
corn_snake_lover
I managed to get a good temp gradient the uth is 90 85 in middle of tank where the heat emitters are is 93 and the cold end staying 77 to 78 thes ball python only goes to the warm hide after a meal for a day or two then spends most of the time in the cold hide right now unit I noticed if the temps drop to like 75 she will go to the warm hide otgervtgen tgatcshes eating well and I'm going to start taking her out her enclosure so she can visit.