CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Please help!!! Malnourished Rescue Escaped :(

Old 08-12-2018, 03:06 AM   #1
CosmicDebree
Exclamation Please help!!! Malnourished Rescue Escaped :(

Hey guys I could really use some advice right now! Almost a week ago now i rescued a corn snake that has not eaten since *at least* 6/14. It was taken to the vet on 7/20 due to weight loss and was given A/D prescription dog food and fluids. I took it because they were going to give up and euthanize it.. I have a lot of experience rehabilitating snakes, i am no stranger to the assist feed, but i have never actually owned one of my own or kept one in my house before. I attempted 2 pinky feedings already, to no avail, and was about to assist thursday night to make sure she had something other than dog food in her when i discovered the tank empty. I have no idea how she got out , no, it isnt a locking lid, but i have to use two hands to lift it the way its set up and it had weight on it on top of that. Nevertheless she did :/ so far I've tried putting a standard heat pad on the floor with towels and pillows on top of it and a thawed pinky on it. I have like 5 water bowls around the room to keep her hydrated and tonight i put barriers of flour around the "heat trap" water bowls and in front of all the darkest or warmest spaces(mainly to get a for sure whether she is still in there or not). I've seen the bottle traps but my concern is she is a baby corn snake that is malnourished and not accepting food, so while it may explore the smell in the bottle it is not going to get too fat to get out. Im really concerned because the warmest spot in my room is in my leopard geckos cage and i have no way of locking it. She could easily kill her if she's not fast enough. There are also a few rodents in the living room, and if shes attracted enough to the smell they can all kill or do a lot of damage to her aswell. Not to mention a Shih tzu puppy and a cat (ive kept them out of my room since i discovered her missing). I'm hoping she will not venture out as my room stays warmer due to the reptile habs, i tried stuffing a towel under the door but my dog pulls it out as soon as I'm not looking. I know generally people can loose their corn snakes for months(I've even heard years before) and still turn up healthy one day but this little one is malnourished and refusing food already, and there are so many dangers to her here, i am so afraid for her. I don't want to use the tape thing I've heard many many horror stories but im considering it for the tanks and cages based on the fact she'd be damaged in order to prevent outright death? Please, if anyone has any good advice or info, safe traps that could work in this situation, any input on the tape thing(maybe some are less harmful than others?), i could really use the help right now!!

Old 08-12-2018, 06:36 AM   #2
Patmart
I’m so sorry you’ve lost your snake I really hope you find her
But I think your doing everything you can
Please let me know when you find her
Good luck
Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 08-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
CosmicDebree
Thank you, Pat. I will. Do you think using double sided tape around my cages to prevent unwanted confrontations would be too dangerous?

Old 08-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #4
Patmart
Hi I think so but I don’t know what’s else to advise you are trying everything
Good luck
Pat

Old 08-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
Corning
Hope you find her soon.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
baby corn not eating, escape, lost, tape trap