CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Project have questions

Old 09-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
Cardin
Project have questions

Ok I have an amel corn and an Eastern fox snake. I want to come up with an amel fox-corn. I talked to a guy on a UK forum that claims he's the only one that's come up with them successfully so far. He has explained in detail how he did it to me basically they don't breed at the same time so there's some trickery involved. I have looked high and low and no one has them no one sells them no one can get them. So if I can pull it off in the states would you think there would be a market for them and at what prices would they start off at.

Any input would be appreciated
Thanks
Fred

Old 09-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
I don't really know much about hybrids, but for my own preference, I only like the ones that look very different from either of the parent species. So if I was looking to buy one, that would be my number one requirement (otherwise I would just buy a pure species if I like a certain look).

I have no idea what the market is like for them, but maybe you could try contacting Mesozoic Reptiles because they do a lot of work with hybrids.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
Chip
Yeah, those sound like babies you might not have the easiest time selling. I've seen amel fox snakes, but not sure if they were easterns or westerns. If you started out with an amel, you'd hit them first generation, at least, instead of making a ton of hets that might not be easy to find homes for. Personally, I wouldn't take a clutch of amel fox/corns for free, but who knows, you might be able to find buyers. Remember, a lot of people have a distaste for hybrids and won't buy anything off of your table if they so much as spot one. I'm less bothered by it when it's conspecifics, and corns and fox snakes are both in the Panterophis genus. Frankly, I think the guy in the UK is just bumping his gums, those snakes both breed the same time of year, are both the same genus, and I see no reason they wouldn't copulate without tricks.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
daddio207
I don't see a market for them either. An odd few people might like a amel corn with a fox snake head but would be few and far since it won't be that unusual. Plus having to take a few generations to produce them just doesn't seem worth it.
Also I believe Eastern Fox snakes are rare to find in the wild and protected in their native habitat so have you considered maybe a better project would be to find a partner to the one you have now and produce more CBB babies than are available now?

The normal corn/fox hybrid is nice though....

Old 09-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #5
Cardin
So basically it's not a venture worth persuing?

Old 09-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
Chip
I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't take them for free. Not to mention, I wouldn't want people questioning the purity of any corns I produced.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google