CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Our first snake:Corn rescue--advice?

Old 07-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #21
JinxTheSnake
You all are so smart! Some super awesome ideas in here! Thanks!

Old 07-28-2014, 06:56 AM   #22
smigon
One method I have used is putting them in a pillowcase and putting that in the scale container. Just make sure to set the tare to the weight of the pillowcase and container, that will give you an accurate weight for wild ones!

Old 07-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #23
JinxTheSnake
Alright, best holding session yet, she totally chilled out with my husband and just wrapped her tail around him and explored a little and was mellow and happy. I can't believe how cute she is. She has so much personality too and seems so smart and inquisitive. I got some show-off pics while he was holding her and the tried to get a few when we fed her to show her size next to the fuzzy. Of course the little mousy face had to be right there for the photos. (I'm a sucker for the cute little mouse-sicles.)

Old 07-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #24
JinxTheSnake
And now the "isn't my snake the cutest best snake" pics

Old 07-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #25
hypnoctopus
She's cute! I'm glad the handling session went so well. As you and your family gain more confidence and as she gains confidence, the handling sessions will continue to get better.

I don't remember if you mentioned this already, but what substrate are you keeping her on? I can't tell what it is from the picture, but make sure it's not pine or cedar.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #26
JinxTheSnake
Man, I can't remember what the little chunks were...and the fluffy stuff is coconut husk. I read up on substrates before buying so I think I would have avoided the bad ones! Her substrate was chunks when we got her (changed to be fresh) and we wanted to maintain some consistency...(but like I said, I read up on em first...)..now I'm paranoid though! I think we used the whole bag...maybe I have the receipt...

Old 07-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #27
JinxTheSnake
Ok, phew, it's cypress and coconut husk.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #28
JinxTheSnake
Yay! We finally weighed her! She weighs 144grams. So the mice we're feeding her are a little on the small side. (But we're doing two a week so I think she's getting a good amount of food.) I looked it up on a chart and it looks like she should be eating (13-20 g) weanlings every 6-7 days so I'm gonna order some of those now and we'll make the switch!

Thanks for everyone's help! (We ended up getting her to go into a little box while we were holding her, then we subtracted the weight of the box after )

Old 08-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #29
albertagirl
Yay!! I'm applauding for you, I bet that was a feeling of accomplishment! I hope you all gave each other a pat on the back.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:30 AM   #30
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JinxTheSnake View Post
Yay! We finally weighed her! She weighs 144grams. So the mice we're feeding her are a little on the small side. (But we're doing two a week so I think she's getting a good amount of food.) I looked it up on a chart and it looks like she should be eating (13-20 g) weanlings every 6-7 days so I'm gonna order some of those now and we'll make the switch!

Thanks for everyone's help! (We ended up getting her to go into a little box while we were holding her, then we subtracted the weight of the box after )
Awesome! Glad you are getting comfortable with her.

If your scale is digital, put the box on it first and hit the on/start button, it will go to zero. Then put the snake in and you won't have to subtract anything, the zeroed out weight won't count towards the weight you put in afterwards. Easy peasy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google